trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Build - Plexi.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:58 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi everybody from Madrid, this is my first post. I finally completed my kit. This is my first Trinity kit but no my
first amp kit.
I take the following values from the valves, I think that they are a little low.
The first ON has gone without problems, no smoke, no lightning. But I can not plug a guitar until tomorrow.

The only "strange" thing so far, it's when I try to measure the pins of the V3, there is a LOUD Boom in the speaker,
I don't know if this is right or not.

V1
P1: 104
P3: 0.9
P6: 142
P8: 0.9

V2
P1: 162
P3: 1.4
P6: 250
P8: 165

V3
P1: 177
P2:
P3: 80
P6:
P7:
P8:

V4
P3: 12.2
P7: 326
P9: 322

V5
P3: 12
P7: 328
P9: 322

V6
P1: 285 AC
P3: 339
P7: 286 AC

My AC mains is at 231 VAC

Plase, can someone help me with it?

Thank You.
Regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:58 pm 
Friend
Friend

Some pics
[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:23 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The "pop" is normal. You should here it on all tubes if the master volume is turned up. The voltage might be a little low because the transformer was wound for 240 volt primaries and you're a little below that. If the filament voltages are within 10% of 6.3vac I wouldn't worry. Let us know how you are doing after you get a guitar plugged into the amp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:33 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thank you for your response, I forget to say that all pots are 0, including the volume. So that's the reason for my concern with the LOUD Boom . :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:46 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Ya if you touch the grids with the meter probe it's like you are inserting a great signal into the tube. Even if you touch the plate of V1 it's like the grid of V2 ect. This is a quick way of checking to see if a stage is working or not. With the volume knob at zero v1 and v2 are "out" of the circuit. That is to say any signal from V1 and V2 is shunted to ground (sorta ;-)) but V3 is still full on 10 so to speak so you still hear any probing around that tube.
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:50 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Build looks good and clean to me. Voltages in spec. What are the voltage on Pin 2 & 7 of V3.

A pop or boom when touching the grids especially is expected.

Let us know how the playing goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:26 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi, I test the amp:

TMB Channel it's ok with some hum, but the normal amount.

Clean Channel. Here is where I have the problem, there's a tremendous amount of hum (with jack unplugged or plugged), even with the pot on 1. With the pot on 3 it's unmanageable :cry:
I look and reflux the input jacks, but nothing seems to fix it.
Any idea?. :?:

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:56 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Is it hum like 50/60 hz hum or more like 100/120 hz? If it's the lower sounding hum I'd check the filament wiring on the preamp tubes. Try and keep the filament wires as far as possible from the grids ie. pins 2&7.
Which "pot" are you talking about in your last post? Does the hum dissapear when the master volume is tuned down? Do you have a different tube you can try in V2 (and v1)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:26 pm 
Friend
Friend

The hum, I don't know the frequency, but it's like what has always been called "white noise".
The filament wiring seems to be OK.
The pot it's the volume of the normal channel, and yes, when is on zero the hum dissaper.
I test with a different set of valves, with the same result.

Thank You

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:51 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Have a look at the colored diagram you got with the kit. I think you may have missed a jumper on the preamp end of the card.It goes from the first turret you see in the middle of the card to the 3rd turret on the pot side of the card. It's at the junction of a 470K and a .022uf cap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:12 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

or perhaps you connected it up at the .022 under the board. this is the wire that goes to the vol pot & 500 pf caps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:12 am 
Friend
Friend

Yes, I had a problem before the hum, the clean channel not sound and after looking at it I realized I needed this connection. The photos I post are are before correcting the error.
Currently there is a cable between the 022 and the turret. Then came the hum... :?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:52 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

On the noisy channel, are the input jacks grounded in only one place. And are the coax cable sheilds grounded as well?

It's hard to tell from the picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:04 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Yes Coco may have it. It looks like there is only one wire soldered to the ground lug bolted to the chassis near the i/p jacks.

On second look I guess there is 2 green wires there. Hmmm. On the volume pot near the i/p jacks...are you sure none of the terminals are touching the body of the pot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:54 am 
Friend
Friend

The input jacks are grounded in only one place, it's as Stoo said, in the photo there's two green wires, one go to the board, and the other one to the jack, both to the same ground lug. The photo is not good for see that, sorry.
The terminals are not touching the body of the pot.

I think, I'm going to resolder again all of this part, but previously I'll unsolder the wire of each jack separately for see what happen with the hum.
I will tell you the result.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:59 am 
Expert
Expert

I'm confused whether you have hum in the amp or white noise. The two are very different - but we may also be having a language problem. :) When we say "hum" we usually mean something that sounds like a 50Hz or 100Hz (in Europe) "hmmmmmmmmm" sound. White noise would sound like a loud "shhhhhhhhh". If it's a white noise problem you may need to change the first 12AX7/ECC83 valve.

PS: I remember having some great calamare sandwiches at Madrid2 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:04 am 
Friend
Friend

zaphod you got it :) , my problem is with a "shhhhhhhhhhh", no with "hmmmmmmm". One of the things that I try it's to change the valve with no result.

PS: Here we called "bocata de calamares" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:12 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

There will be some shhhhh with carbon comp resistors. In the manual, there are places and tips you can sub metal or carbon film if the noise is objectionable.

However, as Zaphod suggests, it could be the tube. Just swap V1 with another tube such as V3 and see if it get's quieter.

Also, can you confirm what it sounds like with NO guitar plugged in. Is the hiss still as loud. Trying to eliminate external possibilities.

"Well, I've never been to Spain.."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:28 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Hard to tell colours in the photo but is that a 470K from the second turret to the center turret ( near where you forgot the jumper before)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:03 pm 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
There will be some shhhhh with carbon comp resistors. In the manual, there are places and tips you can sub metal or carbon film if the noise is objectionable.

If it is resistor noise I think it would be stronger in the TMB channel, which has more gain stages, as well as more resistors. But here it's said to be strongest in the Normal channel, which only has a single stage. So I'm wondering if it's a faulty tube....

noiseless wrote:
PS: Here we called "bocata de calamares" :lol:

And they were only 100 pesetas each, which shows how long ago it was! I have been to Madrid since then, but not often.