trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:24 am 
Novice
Novice

Hi everyone

I ordered a Plexi V6 From Trinity amps last week and i should receive it this week. My question is: In the Kit there is a 32-32 /500V capacitor used in the power supply section (I guess). Is it appropriate to replace it by a larger Value like 100-100 /500V for better smoothing of the ripple or is the 32 value had be chosen to be optimal in that circuit? I mean Do i will make more harm than good by using a larger value?

Thank you for your help and sorry for my poor english. :oops: Must have be more studious in english classes. :)

P.S. In reading many post I can see that you guys are very knowledgeable and are a great asset to this Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:34 am 
Expert
Expert

Bonjour Serge!
Unfortunately, using a larger filter capacitor will damage the rectifier valve, due to excessive charging currents. Also in push-pull amplifiers small amounts of ripple get canceled out within the output transformer, so you don't need a lot of smoothing.

PS: You're doing great with your English. :D I used to speak pretty good French, but I've forgotten most of it after many years of not using it. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:14 am 
Novice
Novice

Hello Zaphod

Thank you for the answer. So too much inrush current is not good for the rectifier. You can see that I have a lot to learn, but it think it will be great to learn from guys who come from many fields and have a passion in common.

I must study my books now and gain more knowledge of what I am doing. Do you think these books are a good start.

Tube Guitar Amplifier Essentials - Gerald BBQ (W e b e r transform to BBQ ? :D )
Valve Amplifiers - Morgan Jones
Building Valve Amplifiers - Morgan Jones

Thank's again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:26 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The BBQ reference goes back to a "difference of opinion" between the other (Ted) BBQ and the 18watt.com group.

It transforms to BBQ because the largest maker of charcoal grills in the US has the same name as these guys, hence "BBQ"
:D :D :D :D

The Morgan Jones books are very technical and aimed more towards the stereo music amp type on amplifier.

The Gerald BBQ books have a lot of info, tend to repeat themselves a bit and have some questionable info such as his suggestion for large caps before the rectifier tube as you were wondering about.

I would suggest "The Guitar Amp Handbook" by Dave Hunter, walks through a number of guitar amplifier circuits explaining what the components do and lots of pictures of classic amp internal to show the wiring.
:P :P :P :P
Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:32 pm 
Novice
Novice

Wow !

Thank's alot. I should have asked the question about amplifier books before buying those. :lol:

Will order The Guitar Amp Handbook" by Dave Hunter as you suggest.

Thank's again :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I second the The Guitar Amp Handbook" by Dave Hunter. . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Also check out the Forum Resources secion for some good info or web sources as well