trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:49 pm 
Friend
Friend

Since I got the vvr installed in my SIIIv6, it has not been faithful to just one power tube. Different power tubes have slipped in and out, 6aq5, 7c5, el82 and now 5881. Just for fun I guess. It ceartainly sounds great with either 6v6 or el84. The difference now is that the tube is not the limit when adjusting the voltages, but the trannys.

The 5881(or 6l6) have 0.9A in heater current so I can only use them if the el84 sockets are empty. I set the impedance selector on 16ohm but use a 8ohm cab for 4k reflected on primary. The pins are arranged like 6v6 so thats not a problem, the cathode resistor (250r) seems not too off, if I understand the charts.
I also watch the current drawn from the PT. It must be lower than the rated 120ma.
So far I've only went as high as 200V between anode and cathode. This gives 31mA per tube so I guess I'm only at 70mA with preamp. I measure this across cathode resistor and add the preamp current.

Now to my questions, how do I know when the OT limit of 20watt is reached? Can I go up to 100mA and hope for the best?
Anyone else try 6l6 in their 18watter with 18watt trannies?

Well they sound interesting, I can tell you that. Perhaps not better but different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:04 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You need to calculate the power dissipation of the amp with the 6L6 and keep it under 20 watts. I think the OT could take more, but 20 is about as high as I'd go. The specs for the PT & OT are posted in the want ads.