trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 18 Watt / Plexi Review
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:37 pm 
Friend
Friend

I have been fooling with amps - mostly restorations and some builds from kits and from scratch since 2003. Not a big history but I did spend a lot of time experimenting and working with different things - 18 Watts and Trainwrecks included. I love to work on them.

After thinning my herd of Deluxe Reverbs and deciding I wanted to stay in Marshall territory as the main gigging amps I thought about the amps that Ive used over the past 10 years which got the most compliments. ANd of all the modded Fenders, TWs, and production amps Ive used in that time my 18 watt head got the most kudos from people including a couple of for real music stars. So since I have a habit of selling off amps not in use my two 18 watters were long gone, I decided to buy Stephen's 18 watt plexi - I already have a production Marshall 1987x which Ive gone thru and cleaned up a tad - and I love the sound but not the power and weight - so it was back to 18 watts for my main gig - which is worship team at Trinity Covenant Church and use the plexi for band gigs outdoors with the 1/2 stack.

Besides Stephen's amp already has the church name on it......lol.

Today was maiden voyage in front of 1000 people or so in two church services - with a choir and full band. This amp rocked! I have to tell you - it sounded great - I ran the TMB channel into a Hotplate at 12db attn for stage volume and when needed I used a hotcake pedal for extra push - but didn't need that too much - and along with great sound came the inspiration to play great. It was run thru a Marshall 2x12 cab with a Vintage 30 and Eminence Redcoat speaker. The guitar was a texas american anniv strat with a split coil humbucker on the bridge. Tubes were vintage Mullard makes and two Siemans EL84s - but it sounded good with the JJ EL84s and EI 12AX7s too. I just like old tubes better - personal choice.

Stephen's kits are well though out - the design was really nice and he was there for the support question I had. All in all my experience with Trinity Amps has been stellar and I highly recommend the kit to anyone who wants to sound great. If I build any more of these - this is where I will be - great amp, design, and price!

Attachments:
Trinity18Watt.jpg
Trinity18Watt.jpg [ 35.04 KiB | Viewed 4461 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:42 pm 
Expert
Expert

Awesome! :D

steverino wrote:
After thinning my herd of Deluxe Reverbs and deciding I wanted to stay in Marshall territory as the main gigging amps....

You have impeccable taste. Leave those clean F*nder amps for the singing cowboys. :lol:

steverino wrote:
I thought about the amps that Ive used over the past 10 years which got the most compliments. ANd of all the modded Fenders, TWs, and production amps Ive used in that time my 18 watt head got the most kudos from people including a couple of for real music stars.

Today was maiden voyage in front of 1000 people or so in two church services - with a choir and full band. This amp rocked! I have to tell you - it sounded great - I ran the TMB channel into a Hotplate at 12db attn for stage volume and when needed I used a hotcake pedal for extra push - but didn't need that too much - and along with great sound came the inspiration to play great. It was run thru a Marshall 2x12 cab with a Vintage 30 and Eminence Redcoat speaker. The guitar was a texas american anniv strat with a split coil humbucker on the bridge. Tubes were vintage Mullard makes and two Siemans EL84s - but it sounded good with the JJ EL84s and EI 12AX7s too. I just like old tubes better - personal choice.

You just can't beat a good Marshall 18W! :D And I'm with you on the NOS tubes as well, Bro.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes the NOS tubes are very nice. You must have a rockin' assembly!! 8)