trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:48 pm 
Friend
Friend

I finally got around to installing the VRM today and it seemed to go well. I turned the amp on and the lamp came on and the tubes lit up. I then took it off standby and everything went dead. It blew the fuse. I had seen an image from someone else that had taken the standby off the B+ and ran it straight back to the VRM pot. I didn't see anything that said to do that so I left my standby only wired to the B+. So was I wrong? Do I need to take the standby off the B+ and run directly to the VRM pot?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:22 pm 
Friend
Friend

Ok. So I got home from church today and pondered what to do. I decided to go ahead and remove the wire from the standby switch to the B+ and run it straight from the standby switch to the VRM pot. After soldering everything in and touching up the solder on the transformer ground, I inserted a new fuse and plugged it in. Flick the main switch on...everything good, light on, tubes glowing. Flip the standby switch on...no noise, no smoke, light on and tubes still glowing :thumbsup: But something is different, it is very quiet. No hum at all. I'm worried :( Pick up my guitar and strum...perfect sound :D I crank up the gain and the volume and back the voltage down and it sounds great! Then I thought I would press my luck and try it on the normal channel which had always produced a hum which I couldn't get rid of. That sounded great too, no more hum! Then I thought I would press it even further and jumper the TMB and Normal channels which had been unusable before above about 1/2 on the volume knob. No noise, no hum!!

Apparently the touch up on the transformer ground was all that was needed to get rid of the hum. I thought I had done that before but I guess not. Now I can honestly say that I have THE perfect amp for what I do!!!