trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:35 pm 
Friend
Friend

For a few months now the gain channel on my 2 year old SIIIv6 has had a horrible bacon frying noise. Channel is unusable. Tubes have been replaced and almost all caps that I think might be in the mix have also been replaced. Still no better. I have been using the clean channel only which sounds fine. Do you have any suggestions of what I should replace next? Or can you suggest a good amp repair guy in the Oakville area.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:22 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Is it a crackling/farting sound only when you hit notes or chords? or is it a constant sound even when not playing?
If it is only when playing, is the amp on the speaker cab? Try placing the amp on the floor away from the speaker. Does the sound go away? If so it may be a loose connection or cold solder joint. You can chopstick inside with a plastic pen and see if you find the sound when tapping or moving things inside.

http://www.soundclick.com/unimind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:31 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks Les, noise problem is all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:48 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Have you tried the chopsticking? Any change in the sound when doing that? Can you post a sound clip of the noise? I am just guessing here you really need someone with more expertise to see what their thoughts are. Just thought I would try to help.

http://www.soundclick.com/unimind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:43 pm 
Expert
Expert

Usually that's a preamp tube problem. However, as you're saying that you've tried swapping tubes, then it's more likely a bad solder joint or a carbon comp resistor gone bad.

I know reliable amp repair guys in the GTA, but not Mississauga/Oakville side. I'm also pretty much out of action for the time being with a broken leg. :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:09 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks guys. Spend about an hour last night with a chop stick moving everything but no change. Again the clean channel does not have the same problem. So it looks like a bad component in the pre-amp stage. I was mentioned to look at resistors. Just wondering the best place to start? V2? plate resistor?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:37 pm 
Expert
Expert

Start by trying to find whereabouts in the preamp the noise is getting in. So pull out the first preamp tube. Is the noise still there? If it is, then pull out the second tube. By then the noise should be gone. This test will giv you some clues where the problem lies. Then put the tubes back and start tapping components and solder joints around the suspect part of the amp, to see what happens. You may need to reflow some solder joints or even replace resistors.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:44 am 
Friend
Friend

I have pulled Vi and the problem is still there. When I turn the master volume up the noise problem also goes up so since the master volume is between V2 and V3 I am sure the problem is around V2. I will try resoldering all the components around V2 and if this does not fix it I will start replacing resistors.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:10 pm 
Friend
Friend

Forgot to post that I fixed the noise problem. C3 (500pf) was it. All good now. thanks