Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More component questions
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:26 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Per this build: http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3010

I'm getting down to the point where there are less and less components in the bag, so some things are getting clear by process of elimination. I'm looking at the resistors needed for the tube sockets(v2, v7 and v8) as well as those needed for the inputs and controls. First the tube side...

Per the layout instructions and per the build photos, I put a 1K5 2W resistor across two of the lugs on the big external capacitor. This means I used one of the TWO gray 1K5 resistors in the kit. That leaves just one more gray 1K5 resistor. But oddly enough, my kit came with an "extra" white 1K5 5W Xicon resistor. There doesn't seem to be any place for this big white, blocky resistor to go. But here I sit with one gray 1K5 2W and one rectangular white 1K5 5W. I'm thinking that maybe the Xicon resistor was thrown in there to go on the big cap, but the pics and layout have not been updated for the 5W resistor. Since I need TWO 1K5 resistors across pins 5 and 6 of v7 and v8...

1) Should I take the original gray 1K5 2W off that cap and use it for one of the power tube sockets along with the other one?

2) Is it OK to use the 5W Xicon resistor across the big external cap? I don't see why not, but I'm asking anyway.

3) If it's not OK, then am I missing a part? If so, should I contact Trinity?

Now the other side...

I have two little brown 100K resistors left, so I think I'm fine here. One to v2 and the other to the Gain pot. My problem seems to be the 1M resistors needed for the input jacks. My kit came with just one.

4) Kit seems to clearly call for two 1M resistors, one of each channel's input. Should I contact Trinity since I only have one, or am I missing something else that's not apparent in the instructions too?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:03 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Oops, one more!

5) The layout drawing indicates that the 100K resistor across pins 1 and 6 of v2 is optional: "Note: Optional 100K metal film resistor" What are the implications of leaving this resistor off versus including it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:43 am 
Expert
Expert

1K5 5W for the cap can

You need that 100K resistor. The composition is optional. Use metal film for a bit less noise. The difference will be minimal though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:49 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks for the reply. I already moved the other 1K5 from the cap can to the power tube socket anyway. Only issue now is the missing 1M resistor for the input. I'll just try and find that locally. Doesn't seem worth it to contact a small company in Canada to ship one little missing resistor all the way to San Diego. That would be silly.

Nearing the home stretch!