trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with hum problem!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:34 pm 

I have an 18 watt TMB that I built several months ago and the amp has always been very quiet until a few days ago. I am getting a pretty serious hum from the amp. I noticed that when I touched the strings, saddle, or anything metal on my guitar the hum would go away. I thought it may be the guitar so I tried another guitar and the same thing happened. I popped the hood on the amp and started looking for the culprit. I made sure all the grounds, switches, and knobs were secure. I swapped power and preamp tubes. I then started checking solder connections. I noticed that when I touched my stick to the lug where the 0.1 UF cap is connected to pin 7 on V3 of the preamp socket, the sound changed slightly. I tapped the 0.1 UF cap and then the .022 uF cap that is connected to pin 2 on V3 of the preamp socket with my stick and I could hear the tapping coming through the speakers from both caps. I re-flowed the solder on those connections and still hear the hum. I then used my voltmeter to check the current with all the tubes installed. All currents are accurate except pin 7 on V3 of the preamp. I am getting a reading of 54 VDC where I should be getting 62VDC(I think?) Am I on the right track? Could the two caps have gone bad? If anyone has any suggestions please help!!

Thanks,

Clay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:13 pm 
Friend
Friend

If you haven't already done so, I would definitely try a different cable, and see if the hum continues. Have you changed anything else in your signal chain? New pedal or new power supply, perhaps? Moved your equipment to a new location? Brought some new piece of electronic equipment in proximity to your amp? The chances of two caps going bad simultaneously are very slight, so I would look for what else might have changed. Might also be a good idea to clean your input jacks with a spritz or two of DeoxIT or similar contact cleaner.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:23 am 

Yes, I have changed cables. I also tried all 4 input jacks, the normal and TMB channel. I noticed the hum in the studio and then brought the amp home hoping that there was a gremlin in the studio. But to no avail the hum remains. I have not gigged since November, so I know that it is not from movement. Really hoping for something simple here. Thanks for the input though.

Clay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:33 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

If it doesn't happen with the cables unplugged from the amp, it is not the amp. Do that test & let us know.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:48 pm 

It still hums without the guitar. I rerouted some of the wires on the power tube sockets and output transformer yesterday. I also used a power conditioner. It helped a lot, but there is still some hum in the amp. The amp is quieter, but not like it was when I first built it.

Clay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:49 pm 

I think I fixed the problem tonight. During rehearsal, the amp dropped in volume dramatically. I thought to myself this has to be a tube issue. I had my sound man bring his tube checker over and we checked all the tubes. Power tubes were fine, but ALL 3 Preamp tubes were bad!!! WTF :bugeye: So I put 3 more 12AX7s in from another amp and PRESTO!!! No hum, buzz, or any of the like. Any ideas what would have caused all 3 to go bad? The tubes were Mullard 12AX7s. All were purchased new and installed at the same time.

Clay