trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:25 am 
Friend
Friend

This is my first post, sorry if this question has been asked a dozen times. Which of the 18 watt kits will do zep tones? Specifically TSRTS era live jimmy page tones. I like the triditional marshall snarl but there is more shimmer, chime and punch on that live recording that speaks to me like no other guitar sound. Can it even be done w the 18 watt marshall?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:17 pm 
Expert
Expert

From what I understand, Jimmy at that time was using modified 1959's (using KT-88's for more headroom) running relatively clean. He used a bunch of effects and early on a Tone Bender, but I don't think that was a big part of his live tone by then. His live tone wasn't all that overdriven really, and he controls that with the vols/tones on his guitars. Plus his infamous "#1" had the "Jimmy Page wiring" which gives a plethora of tonal options too.

I would expect the "Plexi" version of the 18w would get you in the ball park, and might be a little closer with the V6 version in 6V6 mode.

Stephen? Phil? Whaddya think?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
... and might be a little closer with the V6 version in 6V6 mode.

Interesting. I built mine to the sIIIv6 "formula", as opposed to the Plexi. Jimmy Page's tone on that album is one of my all-time favorites! I figured I'd need to monkey around on the EL84 setting for that. It never dawned on me to use the 6V6 to try to get those tones.

As originally built, the 6V6 setting is noticably less loud (less gain?) than the EL84 side. One of the experts here pointed out a way of "correcting" this when I initially posted this news, but I sort of let it go at the time to allow the cleaner 6V6 mode to be a bigger change of pace. Now, I'm wondering that maybe I should do the mods to heat up those 6V6s. If I can only find the thread...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:12 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Here ya go RM
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3189&p=25435&hilit=tail+resistor#p25435
Stew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:09 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Remember unless you rewire a lot, what drives the 6V6, drives the EL84. Zaphod did discuss a cool way to do both, which we will experiment with and confirm.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:41 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
Remember unless you rewire a lot, what drives the 6V6, drives the EL84. Zaphod did discuss a cool way to do both, which we will experiment with and confirm.

Love to hear more about that, particularly given my other thread: http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3010&p=25611#p25611