Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:25 am 
Friend
Friend

http://tubedepot.com/jj-ecc803s.html
http://tubedepot.com/jj-ecc803g.html

Above are links to descriptions of the two tubes in question.

I am at the point where I want to purchase tubes for the TMB kit I'm about to put together, and I'm still learning what all the different Preamp positions are all about. Going strictly on Tube Depot's suggestion for the gold version of this tube, I would put it in the PI in order to drive the power tubes harder... but I have read a suggestion here on this forum that is contrary to this, and that a hi-gain tube should go in V1.

Also, if I were to purchase this tube for either V1, or the PI, how much of a difference would the gold leads make if no other tube in my amp has the gold leads? The descriptions on Tube Depot's page are completely different, so I wonder if the performance of the one tube really is that drastically different than the one with the non-gold pins.

Additionally, I originally planned on going with the new production Mullard 12ax7s for V1 and V2. Any suggestions on how to incorporate this fancy Hi-Performance JJ (if at all)?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:56 am 
Expert
Expert

IMO the "Mullard" branded 12AX7s sound better than the JJs in terms of clarity and sweetness of tone. And just ignore the gold-plated snake oil.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:49 pm 
Friend
Friend

I agree that the "gold pins" are just a marketing gimmick. Just be sure you have clean, tight socket and you should be fine. As far as the position (v1 or pi), just try both spots and see what you like best. Both will have their advantages/disadvantages depending on your amp and the tone your going for. It really takes alot of experimenting with a variety of tubes until you hit on a combination that you like. I'm experimenting with a mix of nos mullard, ei and siemens tubes now in the preamp of my TMB and trying to hit on the right combo. I have been at it for a couple weeks now, and every time I try something different it adds a new "flavor" to the sound. You may find that you like the sound of a slightly lower gain 5751 tube in the v1 or pi position. It smooths the sound out some if that's what you like, or you may prefer the "sizzle" of a higher gain tube in one or more of the preamp spots. You also need to be aware that a higher gain tube in V1 could create extra noise that will only get worse as it travels through the circuit! You need to make sure that any tube you place there has been tested for microphonics also because v1 is the most sensitive spot in the amp. I have one that is unusable in that position but works fine as a pi tube. Some sellers don't test for this and you wind up with a noisy tube if your not careful. You really just have to start experimenting and do some homework to find what you really like because every tube wil sound a little different in every amp, and to every person. There are also several tube forums on the internet you can join to learn anything you want to know about new and old production tubes. I warn you though, tube "rolling" can get addictive and expensive...lol! Good luck on your tone search!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:06 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thank you for the info! I ended up going with two tungsol and one mullard. I'll play around to see what sounds good. Maybe the lower gain mullard in V1?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:47 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Blue Calx wrote:
Thank you for the info! I ended up going with two tungsol and one mullard. I'll play around to see what sounds good. Maybe the lower gain mullard in V1?

That will sound awesome. Put the Mullard up front.