trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need replacement parts
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:58 pm 
Friend
Friend

I have been successfully assembling the 18-watt TMB kit I bought from Trinity, and so far the instructions and forum have been very helpful, and the supplied parts have been sufficient.

However, I am at the point where I am now wiring the input jacks, and it is proving to be a complete nightmare! There is one point on one of the cliff jacks that needs to have 5 leads attached at one terminal. No matter what I do, I end up breaking my wires trying to bend, rearrange and fit the whole precarious assembly into the tight space available. I have already broken the ground lead twice, and have twice had to start over, de-solder, and reassemble the whole module each time.

As a result, I have all but ruined the cliff jacks, and i no longer have enough shielded cable to complete the build. I have tracked down the cliff jacks (at antique electronic supply), but I do not know the specs on the shielded cable, or where to find more of it. Does anyone have a link to somewhere that I can buy some of this cable, or do you know of an acceptable replacement?

Also, is there a trick to wiring these input jacks? I have had nothing but disaster trying to get this section assembled!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:08 pm 
Expert
Expert

Looking at this layout
download/file.php?id=724&mode=view

See how that lug that 5 wires in it? See how that lug has two wires going diagonally from it towards two other lugs? Both of those lugs are ground lugs. You can run your ground wire from either of those lugs.

Also you don't have to put wires right through the lug. Feel free to wrap the wire around the lug. Just remember to make a good solid connection whatever you do.

You should be able to find many tutorials on the forum and online about wiring inputs, especially with Cliff Jacks.
I'm with you though, co-ax and wiring inputs is a pain!

Antique Electronic Supply (Tube's and More) should sell co-ax.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:46 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I usually wire the jacks outside of the chassis with a little excess wire length then install them afterwards.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:26 pm 
Novice
Novice

As much as possible, I like to solder the jacks outside the chassis too. When dealing with hi/lo pairs, I temporarily mount them to the outside of the chassis while soldering to get the spacing right. Also....with shielded wire & tight spaces I trim the shield pigtail fairly short and solder on a short piece of hookup wire to make the connection to a ground tab. A bit of heatshrink over the joint helps prevent any potentially shorting shield whiskers that might get missed.

- This Space For Rent -