Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stupid question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

actually two...

when soldering the underside of the turret board, is it just easier to tin the turret, and then re-heat and shove the wire in?

secondly and more importantly...i take it that when soldering the ground bus (the copper) it takes some time...as the copper has to get hot? i had a strip of copper wire that i picked up at a job site, and was going to use that to go from the turrets to the bus...but, now i'm rethinking this idea...unless there is an easier way to solder to the ground bus that i haven't thought of...

Post subject: Re: stupid question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:19 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I would bend the wire and insert it into the hole, then heat up the turret and wire and flow in the solder.
I wouldn't over think this second point. With a good soldering iron you just make a good mechanical connection apply some heat, flow the solder and "viola"......done.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:36 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Agree with stoo, that's how we supply and install our buss bars. 14 ga Copper into the hole, add heat, add a little solder and then flow it with some more solder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:42 am 
Expert
Expert

I would recommend not soldering anything to the underneath of the turrets. It will make life much easier for you in the longer run.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

zaphod wrote:
I would recommend not soldering anything to the underneath of the turrets. It will make life much easier for you in the longer run.

This seems even more redundant...unless the point of that post is for me to stop...if i dont connect anything to the underside of the turrets, then nothing will get connected

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:09 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

ezcomes wrote:
zaphod wrote:

This seems even more redundant...unless the point of that post is for me to stop...if i dont connect anything to the underside of the turrets, then nothing will get connected

I think he ment to solder the wires on top of the turret board. Just wrap the wire ends around the bottom of the turret and solder. Like in this picture.
Attachment:
800GutInputSide.jpg
800GutInputSide.jpg [ 39.83 KiB | Viewed 5989 times ]

http://www.soundclick.com/unimind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:40 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We have no problem with buss bars installed from the bottom. Jumpers can go either way. It's a preference - I happen to like the clean look and put them on the bottom and never had a problem, but you got to be vigilant. Put them on the top and repair is simple if ever required.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:11 am 
Novice
Novice

so...got the bus installed last night...probably the most irate i've been in a long time...i just could not get it hot enough...:bugeye:

to finish it off...the one end popped out, and the hole filled with solder...i couldn't get the solder out...and i couldn't get the bus hot enough to cut through...i figured it out after a while that the pliers we drawing the heat out of the copper...after i re-jigged how i was holding the bus, i managed to get it into the hole, not all the way in, or half...but enough that there is a solid connection...

ended up calling it a night after that...will go back tonight and continue with the jumpers...