trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:38 pm 

I just ordered a plexi kit, and I have a couple of questions. I am a big fan of simple, and when I look at the layout I see the small terminal strips for the inputs for V1 pins 2, and 7. What I have seen in other amps, and I am thinking about doing in my build as long as there is no reason not to is to solder one end of the resistor to the input jack, and the other ends of the resistors together with the shielded cable, and then only have one cable each channel, and no terminal strips. I have a lot of experience soldering, so I know how to do a proper strong inline connection. Is there any reason not to do this?

And since this is my first post here is a little about me. I studied electronics engineering technology at NAIT, and I have been servicing laboratory equipment since I graduated in 2001. I have worked on million dollar automation equipment, right down to small simple $200 pipettes. Most of the work I did was on flow cytometry systems, aligning optical assemblies, and lasers, optimizing PMTs (photo multiplier tubes), and some basic IT on the computer systems used for collecting data. I have always been interested in tube amps, and I have always wanted to build tube amps. This is my first build, but I am sure that it will not be my last :D I am already planning some mods on the plexi once I have it all up, and running. I am trying to capture a raw aggressive sound that I heard from a couple of different plexi based amps mainly a Mako Makoplex, and a Wizard, but at a lower volume, and on a platform that I can play around with a mod a bit to taste.

EVH 5150 III
Peters dual channel
EVH 2x12 cab

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:20 pm 
Expert
Expert

Welcome!

Check this out (specifically the third section)
http://www.aikenamps.com/InputRes.htm

Hope that clears things up :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:30 pm 

Thanks for the link, that clears it right up, and prevents me from building a noisy amp lol

EVH 5150 III
Peters dual channel
EVH 2x12 cab

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:55 pm 

So my wife was out of town for the weekend, and is gone all week this week. So I decided to do some work on the amp. Saturday morning when I started I already had the heaters wired, and the transformers mounted, along with all the hardware mounted, and ready to go. I started with the board Saturday morning, and finished the amp completely by about 3:00 in the afternoon Sunday!!! That was a lot of soldering!!!

The 6V6 side worked perfect, but I forgot a jumper to get the EL84s working. Once I installed those jumpers, everything works perfect, and it is nice, and quiet!!!! I have to say that this amp has balls!!!! It is a very gutsy aggressive sound with the gain cranked, and it is killer with a boost :evil: I am thinking I will be making some clips this week since there are no real hard rock clips for these amps that I can find.

Attachments:
complete board 1.jpg
complete board 1.jpg [ 764.32 KiB | Viewed 6863 times ]

EVH 5150 III
Peters dual channel
EVH 2x12 cab

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Wooly love to gear your clips. We have a Clippage forum if you want to post them there, or YouTube or wherever. Let us know .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:19 pm 

I just finished doing a bunch of tweaking, and I almost have the amp where I want it. So far I have changed

C2 to 1uF
R4, and R7 to 220k
Removed R8
Put a 25uF cap in parallel with R34 so the gain boost adds bass

I am thinking about changing VR7 to a lower value, and I just want the bass to stay together a bit more. It almost feels like there is a bit too much sag, so I am thinking I have a spare 9H 40mADC choke. I might put that in in place of R28, but I am not sure what effect the choke will have other than raising the voltage.

What are your thoughts about using a choke in place of R28??

So far with these changes this amp can breath some fire, and when I turn the boost off it is back to being like a vintage amp!! Very cool so far.

EVH 5150 III
Peters dual channel
EVH 2x12 cab

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:45 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes those changes will certainly heat things up a bit. A choke will tighten things up but probably increase voltage. But it will almost certainly affect the standby switch reliability as well so be careful.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:03 am 
Expert
Expert

Add a 10nF or so cap across the standby switch if you add a choke (use a high kV rating for the cap).