trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:13 am 
Friend
Friend

HI folks!
Im curently in the prosecc of buying my first 18W KIT.
My current favorites are TrinityAmps 18W and AmpMAker 18W amps.
Maybe a little on the Trinity side due to higher quality parts.

I see that the 18W Trinity has several versions. Since Im not into EVH at all Im not intersted in the MKII version.
So there are still 4 versions to choose from:
1.)TMB
2.)sIII
3.)Plexi
4.)V6

Is there any comparison or side by side video/audio where I can here the difference between the models?

1.) TBM
As described the TBM has a lot of gain on the chanel 2

2.) sIII
same as the TBM but a less gain on the TBM chanel, and more voiced like the bluesbreaker or JTM...CHRUNCH voiced.
"Channels can be jumpered for even more complex sounds" - what does this mean?

3.) The Plexi
"The normal Channel provides way more overdrive than most 18 watt normal channels while the Plexi channel is capable of the best clean sound we have ever heard come out of an 18 watter"
Shouldnt this be another way around? How come that the Clean chanel provides more overdrive then the Plexi chanell?!
YOu say best clean sound and great overdrive?

4.) V6
This version I dont undersant at all. I thought that this was a mode you can add to your amp...seems I was wrong

Wich of these model can be moded and maybe transformed into another amp version. Any wich modes do you recommend?
Thank you very much :-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:39 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Here are some YouTube videos.
TMB - http://youtu.be/shF1G9hWHn8
Plexi - http://youtu.be/6xc1AoVc1Jo and http://youtu.be/16SKwz8sXyU
sIII - http://youtu.be/w0DQUGJC-fE

You can control the gain in these amps with the gain control on the TMB channel and get some really clean tones.

The v6 option can be added to any model and allows you to switch between two sets of output tubes. 6V6 or EL84.

All the amps use the same board layout and all can be modded into any of the others designs.so really, there is no worry if you want to change it in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:19 pm 
Friend
Friend

Coco,
wich of the amps would you say has the most gain (distorsion) and wich would have the nicest "sparkling" cleans and "crunchy" tone?

So each of these amp has an TMB chanel and a Normal chanel.
Only difference is in the amount of gain between the models?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:51 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Most gain - TMB
Cleanest - sIII

Between models, gain is one factor but they are voiced to sound unique as well.

AMP SPECIFICATIONS
We have four two channel version of the Marshall 18 watt amps that you might want to consider - the sIII, Plexi, TMB and the v6. All 18 watt amps incorporate Treble, Midrange, Bass, Gain [volume] and Volume [master volume]. The second channel (Normal Channel) has Tone and Volume controls.

sIII - The sIII is a medium gain amp and is voiced to do the early plexi/JTM45 sound very nicely. The range of tone is from spanky clean to Marshall grind. You can get a great Clapton Bluesbreaker sound and Hendrix as well. This amp can handle Blues-Rock, Country & Reggae. The Second channel (Normal Channel) is same configuration as the Tremolo channel from the original 18 watt design but without Tremolo.

Plexi - The Plexi is voiced to sound period correct for a Marshall Plexi Lead. Screaming guitar lead tones at a much lower volume. The amp can thump and grind with less compressed tone than the other 18 watt variants. The Second Channel (Normal Channel) provides way more overdrive than most 18 watt normal channels while the Plexi channel is capable of the best clean sound we have ever heard come out of an 18 watter. With a pair of greenbacks, you'll be shocked how period correct it sounds. Crank up the gain and you are in crunch tone heaven. The clean boost just adds another dimension, it nails all those old AC-DC tones dead on and has way more gain on tap if needed.

Plexi MkII - Is based on the Plexi Super Lead preamp design with selected 'brown' components. This gets you very close to Eddie van Halen sound. Hot licks but with a very surprising clean tone with gain turned down. This baby can really move some air! Crank up the normal channel and it really gives up the goods! Lots of crunchy to high gain AC/DC tones for days. The TMB side cranked up is great going from clean to mean. Leave the gain low and crank the master and there is quite a lot of headroom with big fat cleans. The fat switch fattens up the TMB side and makes it a bit fuller spectrum of sound. Clip here:http://www.unimind.us/TrinityPlexi2.mp3

TMB - The TMB amp is a high gain amp that does the 80s sound very nicely. It is intended for musicians who want plenty of grind. It does ZZTop very nicely. It is both responsive and aggressive. The second channel is the Normal channel from the original 18 watt design. This amp does classic rock crunch to metal.
V6 - The v6 adds switchable output tubes (EL84 / 6V6) and boost to the sIII, Plexi or TMB. The sound is close to a Fender Deluxe and an 18 watt grafted together. At low volume levels the difference isn't that noticeable between to channels but once you get into loud clean tones and beyond (crunch and full on distortion) you really notice the difference. The EL84s have more highs so the bite and crunch is more apparent with them. Overall, they are a bit clearer than the 6V6 and the EL84 defiantly have the chime thing going on. The 6V6s don't have as much treble but are smoother overall with more bass. When you turn the amp up, link the channels and use 6V6s the tone is really nice. Smooth, good compression but still plenty of clarity.

The inputs can be jumped on all of our amps.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:40 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanx Stephen.
Watching this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0DQUGJ ... e=youtu.be I can see that you can mix the chanels.
So this is possible with every version?
COuld this be controled with footswitch?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:29 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes you just jump the two channels and. Then mix in whatever level of each channel you want. You need a jumper cable and of you have an A-B-Y foot switch you can do it that way as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:18 am 
Friend
Friend

Wich of the mods are available for 18W and wich ones are your favorites?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:32 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Mario wrote:
Wich of the mods are available for 18W and wich ones are your favorites?

We can put together a package of parts that you can use to get any of the models. My personal favourite changes periodically but I currently like the Plexi TMB channel and the sIII normal channel in v6 format.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:50 pm 
Friend
Friend

Maaaan I wish you guys made video presentations of all these mods and amps...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:02 pm 
Friend
Friend

Is there anywere on the forum a complete mod list that you can do with 18W amps?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:55 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Mario wrote:
Is there anywere on the forum a complete mod list that you can do with 18W amps?

What would you like to see? All the schematics and layouts are in the resource section.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:16 am 
Friend
Friend

List of mods that you can do on the 18W amps and schematics to the mods.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:43 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Most of the changes are a simple component value changes

As for the VH tone in the plexi Mk II that's more or less they way the amp tone controls and gain master volume are set there are way more settings to get different sound out of that amp more "classic" for a lack of a better term.

My amp I altered things to my liking. Tmb side is more of a cross between plexi 1 and mk 2 with a few other things tossed in. And the normal side being in between plexi 1 and 2 just changed a capacitor value

This is with the amp wound up but turn things back down and your listening to 70's show sound track
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12242475

Like COCO said the board's are the same its just the choice of tweeking values. The only real different one is with the v6 and its just the extra components to switch between el84 or 6v6 output tubes. The preamp can be any one or part of the others as well as other twists thrown in ! TMB plx1 plx2 sIII

Sorry bad link to Unimind's clip thought it was a dialed back one

Last question I know you said you were not interested in VH tone but what are you looking for in tone An idea of what you want might help. crunch , High gain , clean. bluesy . What sort of guitar strat , les paul. singe coil double coil.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:41 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Mario wrote:
And here's Unimind's clip of his mk2 turned back a bit i think ( he might be able help more on that ) Sorry I borrowed this from Ezcomes question about 18 watt tone
Link you pasted was broken. should be http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11882168

Yeah I had the gain rolled back a little on that maybe around 7-8. That way I was able to get a little more dynamics out of it. Not as saturated unless I dig in with the pick.

Mario wrote:
I see that the 18W Trinity has several versions. Since Im not into EVH at all Im not intersted in the MKII version.
I understand that EVH is not for everyone but these amps are really versatile in that if you do not play like EVH it will not sound like EVH. If you know what I mean. :D I would recommend getting the Plexi kit and ask Coco to throw in some extra parts to tweak the channel voicing. There are lots of people here on the forums and lots of info in the resource section to help you tweak things to get the tones you are looking for.

I meant to someday make some better clips (non EVH) that better show the versatility of the Plexi. I will try to make an effort to do that. As well if you tell me what tones you are looking for I can try to make some clips for you. 8)

Edit:
sazafraz wrote:
This is with the amp wound up but turn things back down and your listening to 70's show sound track
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12242475
Just listened to the clip. Sounds really good. I likey likey :D

http://www.soundclick.com/unimind

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:13 am 
Friend
Friend

Well Im mainly into blues, so Im after those nice clean tones and mild crunchy gain.
But sometime I also play hard stuff wich can probably be done with a pedal and the 18W

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:05 am 
Experienced
Experienced

You may want the sIII then. It should do the bluesy thing well and still have enough crunch for the harder stuff. Coco???

http://www.soundclick.com/unimind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:10 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes I agree and the sIII also has a boost switch that will take it into very crunchy territory.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:24 am 
Friend
Friend

This sound great!
Coco, that boost switch is that something that comes with the kit or its something you must install afterwards (mod).
Can this be controled with a footswitch?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:20 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Mario wrote:
This sound great!
Coco, that boost switch is that something that comes with the kit or its something you must install afterwards (mod).
Can this be controled with a footswitch?

A toggle switch is included. It can be controlled with a foot switch but we found the boost is enough to require a special circuit to eliminate any pop when switching. Your choice!