trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:30 am 

And I am pleasantly surprised at just how good it sounds. I have built an 18W 1974 combo before which sounded great, but this sounds better.

One of the big things for me is low-end. I loved the 1974's tone, but it didn't have any thump to it. It sounded very "Marshall-lite". The Trinity Plexi has sorted this and when I play through my small Mojo Marshall-style 2x12 combo cab (open back) I am getting a big, muscular sound. It really sounds like an old plexi. Wow.

The only ways I have deviated from stock are: carbon film resistors instead of the supplied CC; PEC 2W pots; F+T electrolytics (because I like them and because the big JJ wouldn't take solder well) and I didn't use the bright cap on the first channel. I think the kit is outstanding value. I have ordered a small head cab from Mojo (I am in Australia which makes cab shipping very expensive).

I'm playing it through a Celestion G12M Creamback and a G12H Heritage. They are the speakers I have left over! My two least favourite speakers, but the amp sounds amazing through them. So far I have only played my Luther Dickinson 335 through it - it's a 335 with dog-ear P90s and a bigsby. It sounds huge and articulate through this amp. I don't think I will be modifying the amp in the near future - it sounds wonderful as-is.

You Trinity fellas have done a great job with this design. Well done! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:11 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks for your compliments and feedback. I know you were concerned about the bass so I'm glad it worked out. We have also believe it stands up very well to the Marshall .
Congrats on your successful build!

Perhaps we should offer a Carbon Film option? What do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:55 pm 

Carbon film option? Oh I don't know - carbon film resistors are fairly readily available and don't cost much. Lots of guys seem to like using CC resistors. I don't really know why - did these amps ever come with CC resistors? I like carbon film simply because I don't have to worry about them becoming noisy or drifting so much. I have replaced a few CC resistors in friend's amps because of these issues.

I can't hear any difference between them other than noise! Maybe others can?

That plexi channel is something to behold, isn't it? :D