trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New owner with questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:17 pm 

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right place, but I figured in a forum dedicated to this amp, I'd surely get answers.
Anyway, I'm not a builder, just a player. I just brought home a 1X12 Trinity tmb combo in green tolex, which I traded some other gear for on a local swap site.
Having never seen or played one, I'd like to know a few things about it. It has a 12' Greenback in it. The layout of the face plate from left to right is: Indicator? (assume this may be an attenuator), stby, led, pwr, B, M, T, vol: then a single input with a MV above it (assume this would normally be another input?). The next channel has tone, vol, then two inputs.
On the bottom of the amp it has two jacks labelled ch1 and ch2.
What are these jacks for, does anyone know? Are these where you "jumper" the channels, or some kind of mod for a switch or something?
Also, on the second channel (tone and vol.), are the two inputs the same or do they provide different tonality?
This amp looks really classy in the green tolex, it has an old style marshall plate on the center front panel, and is pretty pristine: but I am the third owner, and the fellow I got it from was unsure whether it is from a kit or was ordered assembled. Is there any way to tell?
I'm not really even sure what model this is (tmb, s111, etc.) nor whether it has been modded from the original design or not.
I noticed a little noise/buzz from it as well when the vol is pushed, but I suspect it's nothing major.
Anyway, as a newbie, if someone would be kind enough to fill me in a bit on what it is I've acquired it would be appreciated.
I'm looking forward to getting to know it.

Thanks!

Attachments:
File comment: photo from the orig. owner's ad.
18w tmb.jpg
18w tmb.jpg [ 54.29 KiB | Viewed 11323 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:13 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Do you have a picture of the panel?

should look someting like this download/file.php?id=1425&mode=view
if the on switch is a rotary one, its probably voltage scaling

And I Think the older models where slightly different knob layout

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:55 pm 
Expert
Expert

Sounds like an older 18W based on the one input being used for a control

Find the serial number and email Trinity for info

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:25 pm 

Thanks for the responses, folks.
Sazafraz, I will try to get some photos of the panel asap. Looking at your photo, it would appear the amp I got strays from the layout somewhat. Where your led indicator is, I have a knob. Where your on knob sits, I have a standby switch, then there is an led in between the power and the standby. The rest of the layout looks the same, except the upper input on the tmb channel is the MV knob.
Kurtlives, can you tell me where would I find the serial number?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:34 pm 

So, pardon my crappy photo skills, but here is a shot of the panel as well as the two channel jacks on the bottom I was wondering about.
Just had a chance to plug in and test with my Lp and my strat, and, at first blush, it sounds great. Can't imagine it providing a clean tone, but very punchy.
First thought that comes to mind is "18 watts my a**!", this thing is LOUD.

Attachments:
front panel.JPG
front panel.JPG [ 2.42 MiB | Viewed 11300 times ]
channel jacks on bottom.JPG
channel jacks on bottom.JPG [ 2.43 MiB | Viewed 11300 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:12 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Oh yes, 18 watts is definitely loud. Plenty loud to keep up with a drummer in a smallish club for sure.

That amp looks like it was modded. I think there was a VRM added and the indicator lamp was moved in between the switches. Does the amp's volume change when you turn that "indicator" knob?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:56 pm 
Expert
Expert

That looks like a really early 18W

The jacks on the back are most likely for effects loop. You need a Y cable, one effects loop per channel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:13 pm 

Yep the indicator knob is definitely an attenuator.
That would be cool if those are loops! I'm not really keen on my reverb in front of the amp.
Thanks again guys for your comments. I'll try and grab a y jack and test those out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:07 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I can say that is not a Trinity Amps 18 watt amp build. Might not be a kit either. We never used that knob style or power switch or put attenuator in that position. Still we can help with it. If those are loop effects, they are stereo jacks one half send, the other receive. You will need to find out which is which. aocture of the inside will help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:29 pm 

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your response. I suspected this may be more of a mod than is standard, although I do see the trinity logo on the back of the cab. I suppose it's possible the cab was ordered from trinity and the builder went his own way with the amp.
Not sure when I'll have a chance to pull the head assembly out, as I will be leaving soon for a week or two's holidays, but when I get a chance I will open it up and post some shots of the innards. If you can point anything out that would be helpful from those it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone who gave me their thoughts and I will look further into it. Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:49 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

yes, weit a tag on our cabs on the lower rear panel and always put our logo plate on the front.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:06 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Yet you still try to pass if off as a trinity amp

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-amp-pedal/ottawa/trinity-all-tube-18watt-tmb-marshall-clone-for-sale-or-trade/1062972640?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:15 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Looks like it is being resold as a Trinity amp so I sent an email asking for a change in the advert.
I think this is. a modified Ceri@tone amp. Not one of ours.