trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:41 am 

Hey guys, I posted this on the 18 watt forum, but I want to post this here too, just to get some other opinions-

I am very interested in getting a trinity amp kit, and Im kinda stuck between the plexi or sIII( I think its the JTM45 style one?). I am trying to build an amp for that 70s rock sound, think free, led zeppelin, The Who, AC/DC(especially the high voltage album), thin lizzy, the darkness(not 70's but still) and blues rock as well such as peter green era fleetwood mac, the beano album, and early duane allman era allman brothers. I want an amp with plenty of gain for that sound like on the ac/dc records, or the lemon song by led zeppelin, not something really high gain, as I have other amps for that. The only thing that concerns me about the plexi version is missing that original 18 watt channel like the sIII has, but yet I dont think the sIII's jtm45 style channel will have the sound Im going for(not enough overdrive). The reason I want one of these is that the tremolo channel has no use for my playing style. I am american so I have no clue how long it will take to get to the west coast. Please guys help me understand the differences between these 2 amps and the advantages of the two circuts. Also, good ideas for speakers would be nice, I have no experience with different speakers. trinity makes cabinets and sells tone tubby speakers, but Im thinking a celestion greenback might be more classic rock? please feel free to put in your input. I am going to use some kind of attenuator so I can crank it at lower/bedroom volumes, any experience with the trinity vbr kit? what does it do? I want to also know how I can keep my tubes lasting longer when overdriving my amp so im not replacing tubes every few months. sorry for all the questions! Im new to building and will be building with someone who has experience with tube technology and electronics, I dont know much about tubes either, but look forward to learning while im building.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hey dude. Best bet is check out demos! It can be hard to put tone into words, hearing it is the key IMHO.

I'm just finishing a v6 plexi kit, after playing with it for a few hours it's really growing on me. The VRM option with the kit is awesome, this amp sounds really good on reduced power... so from me, VRM = highly recommended. Basically how this differs from a Master Volume is that using an simple pot-adjustable FET circuit, it reduces the DC voltage across the whole amp... thereby reducing the headroom of the tubes, so that they clip sooner with a reduced power output. A Master Volume just attenuates the preamp output to the power-amp, so the power tubes won't clip like in a cranked amp.

I'm gonna do some demo recordings once I have time, will post 'em on this forum. Cheers & good luck on your quest for tone :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:25 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You can very easily mix the Pexi TMB with the sIII normal channel and get the best of both worlds!

sIII
Is a two channel version of the Marshall 18 watt which incorporates Treble, Midrange, Bass, Gain [volume] and Volume [master volume] and boost switch. The second channel is the Tremolo channel from the original design, without Tremolo. This amp is a medium gain amp and is voiced to do the early plexi/JTM45 sound very nicely. The range of tone is from spanky clean to Marshall grind. You can get a great Clapton Bluesbreaker sound and the Hendrix as well. This amp can handle Blues-Rock, Country & Reggae.

Plexi
Is based on the sIII design but voiced to sound period correct for a Marshall Plexi Lead. Screaming guitar lead tones at a much lower volume. The amp can thump and grind with less compressed tone than the other 18 watt variants. The normal Channel provides way more overdrive than most 18 watt normal channels while the Plexi channel is capable of the best clean sound we have ever heard come out of an 18 watter. With a pair of greenbacks, you'll be shocked how period correct it sounds. Crank up the gain and you are in crunch tone heaven. The clean boost just adds another dimension, it nails all those old AC-DC tones dead on and has way more gain on tap if needed.

Plexi MkII
Is based on the Plexi Super Lead preamp design with selected 'brown' components. This gets you very close to Eddie van Halen sound. Hot licks but with a very surprising clean tone with gain turned down. This baby can really move some air! Crank up the normal channel and it really gives up the goods! Lots of crunchy to high gain AC/DC tones for days. The TMB side cranked up is great going from clean to mean. Leave the gain low and crank the master and there is quite a lot of headroom with big fat cleans. The fat switch fattens up the TMB side and makes it a bit fuller spectrum of sound. Clip here: http://www.unimind.us/TrinityPlexi2.mp3

TMB
Is also a two channel version of the Marshall 18 watt which incorporates a Treble, Midrange, Bass, Gain and Volume. The second channel is the Normal channel from the original 18 watt design. This amp is a high gain amp that does the 80s sound very nicely. It is intended for musicians who want plenty of grind. It does ZZTop very nicely. It is both responsive and aggressive. This amp does classic rock crunch to metal 'chugga-chugga' .

v6
Unique 18 watt adds switchable output tubes and boost to the sIII, Plexi or TMB. The sound is close to a Fender Deluxe and an 18 watt grafted together.
The channels can be jumped on all amps for more gain and tonal complexity. This can be done with a jumper cable or an ABY footswitch.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:48 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:

v6
Unique 18 watt adds switchable output tubes and boost to the sIII, Plexi or TMB. The sound is close to a Fender Deluxe and an 18 watt grafted together.
The channels can be jumped on all amps for more gain and tonal complexity. This can be done with a jumper cable or an ABY footswitch.

Would like to see video demo of this thing.
NOt much video demos of Trinity amps, only audio clips wich dont get much credits.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:34 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

There are some customer videos and demos on YouTube if you search for Trinity Amps. There is no v6 demo though.
in my opinion, a good recording is better than a video since the sound. quality, if done well, is much better. We are getting some video reviews done and the 18 watt amp they have is the v6. It is also being done at a recording studio so the audio should be good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:58 pm 

Hi,
I'm in the same situation hesitating between sIII and plexi version so i'm very interested in this topic too ;)
About speakers i just wante to share with you what i found today : http://www.taydenspeakers.co.uk/
here are precise descriptions (in french) : http://www.therocksound.com/tayden/
The cool thing is that they're handcrafted in UK but still affordable
and are closer to vintage Celestion specs they say the sound is more open
and less boxy apparently as i never tried them, just read good things and listen to it on youtube..
good luck with your project. Alex

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:12 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Check out this link http://www.trinityamps.com/Product_Kits_Trin18.htm

There are two YouTube videos and I think you will get some other Trinity Amps Suggestions if you go there. If not, then just search for Trinity Amps.

Plexi Model - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xc1AoVc1Jo

TMB Model - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shF1G9hWHn8