trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finished my Plexi!!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

Done in 4 evenings, plus one evening checking over BOM and putting all resistors into envelopes with labels. I can read code, but every resistor was checked on a VOM, just to be sure:

Image.

My wiring is not as neat and geometric as some of the samples here, but I kept all signal wires apart, crossing only at right angles, everything close to chassis for shielding. If I did have to cross AC (mostly heaters), I bridged with a small gap and crossed at right angles. Result is a very quiet amp, no hissing, very little hum and only wide open.

I made a few minor mistakes, but I double-check as I go along and corrected everything before getting into trouble. On startup, I got a bit of smoking, it was a little melted insulation on a heater wire (oops!) leaving bare AC very close to chassis. Found and fixed it within a minute.

Start up (after that) was stress-free, all voltages checked out pretty close, noises coming through speaker hooked up as load. Nice.

I meant to build one of these about 8 years ago, but got talked out of it by people telling me there is absolutely no clean headroom. I don't know about a real 18-watter, but this one has beautiful cleans, at what I would call small club volume.

Normal channel is sparkly, chimey and delicious. Like a Vox or Matchless but much less harshness. Once volume goes to 6 and above it roars just like a SuperLead. Trust me, I had one and I recognize that sound. Of course at usable volume.

TMB channel is very versatile, tone controls pretty wide sweep for a Marshall. Syrupy thick and spanky, it's very, very nice. Very, very usable. I like the Gain/Volume interaction, seems to not kill tone like most MV schemes.

I bought the VRM option, but I thought I'd get a working amp before mucking about. I'm not sure if I need it, but we'll see in a few weeks.

Nice kit, I've very happy.

P.

Post subject: Re: Finished my Plexi!!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:21 pm 
Novice
Novice

One thing I did learn of my (only other) build: wiring Cliff jack in situ is a major, finicky pain.

I trace the holes on some cardboard, mount the jacks on that temporarily, then wire everything up, including ground and signal wires.

Then transfer the assembly into the chassis ready to hook up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:28 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Sweet glade you got it working :thumbsup:

Lately been using the tmb for clean and kicking pedal for heavy stuff (tmb does do a really nice clean)
and using the normal side cranked with mk 2 spec bypass cap to do a great classic rock tone (vrm does help at this point)

As for neatness I'm no where near what some are like on this forum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Looks like a good build. Surprisingly for some, they are not one trick crunch ponies.