trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:55 am 
Friend
Friend

Good morning! I've got a question regarding the cascade mod. I sifted through and found a bunch of useful info, but was wondering, do I need to use shielded cable for the connections to the switch or will regular hookup wire work with minimal noise?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:03 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

If the switch is in the rear, close to the tube, not shielded. If in the front, shielded.
that’s what I would do.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:01 am 
Friend
Friend

Stephen, thanks again for your quick replies to everyone's questions. Added it with standard hookup wire, and it's still very quiet. If anyone else is curious about this mod on the different 18 watt styles, I can add input to this one. I've got the TMB, standard layout as designed with this cascade added. It sounds great and really gets the JCM level of saturation. However, the normal volume control is only usable up to a certain point (around 5 is the most you can crank) before it gets this nasty high pitched squeal and oscillation, and I only attribute that to the TMB already being a hot rod as is, so no complaints at all! I did the mod because I wanted to experiment before building a JCM or Jubilee clone, and this satisfied my need for big metal tone...which is good because I've got other amps on my short list as well! That being said, not to open a whole different can of worms, but I'm looking now for some steering towards my next project, the Triwatt or the OSD. I'm not even sure what question to ask where to begin other than the pros and cons of both. Maybe the Triwatt is a more versatile platform? Just looking for some input!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:45 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The OSD is very versatile as well with the OD controls and PAB too. Glassy cleans. If you add a tube effects loop option, you have another amazing platform. No Tweed tone!
The TRIWATT is a classic vintage amp. Like playing hi-fi amp plus you get an OD control that is not quite as versatile as the OSD. You can footswitch it as an option too.
Hard to decide between the two, depends on your playing and music style.
Both are great amps.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:28 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks again for your input, customer service, and just general help! In the middle of a Triwatt build now and can't wait to review it for you! And to comment on my original thread topic for anyone in the future... you were right about how much gain the TMB has...(shocker, I know.) Instead of troubleshooting a squeal and oscillation which would just require changing more components and moving the grid stoppers, I've just taken the mod right back out and put it to stock again and am completely happy! I wish I'd discovered your amps a lot earlier...