trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Applying piping to tolex
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:13 am 
Expert
Expert

OK, I have found various tutorials on applying tolex however I can find anything on how you fit piping strips to the joins. Anyone out there help with this one?
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:17 am 
Expert
Expert

I just staple it on, man!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:41 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I created a jig to help me because I do so many, and I'm a perfectionist on this.

The jig is a simple piece of wood with a groove cut in it to fit the piping. I use it to align & hold the piping in place, then I clamp it in place and staple the piping with an electric stapler , 1/4" staples.

Works great and makes for a perfect application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:44 am 
Expert
Expert

bitsandvolts wrote:
I just staple it on, man!!

So the 9" nails just won't do then Frank ;-)

Stephen got an example picture?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:01 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Piping Jig

Applying the Piping

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:42 am 
Expert
Expert

That's great Stephen thanks, how do you do the bits that run down the trenches on top of the amp?
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:13 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

To install the string, cut a groove 1/8" wide by 1/8" deep on the top of the cabinet & the underside as well. The underside cut needs to be about 1.5" long from the edge. Chisel and saw out the roundover part of the cabinet to a depth of 1/8" as well.

Tolex the outside of the cab. Tolex over the gooves.

Before you wrap the tolex around the font / rear edges, slit the tolex with a sharp knife at 90 degrees from both edges of the cabinet and centered on the groove. Slit both front & rear.

Using those cuts as guidelines, lay a steel edge on the cabinet and carefully slit the tolex over the groove with a very sharp balde knife.

Force the tolex into the groove with a steel ruler.

Take the cabinet string, press it into the groove inside the cabinet, staple it in place inside the cabinet. Pull it taut and working from the stapled end, force it into the groove. Since it is a press fit, no glue is required. Use a light hammer to tap it into place where necessary. Wrap it around the opposite end and staple it in place.

I'll try to post some pics as soon as I can. This seems a bit complicated and tricky (which it is becasue you can mess up a perfectly good tolex job cutting those grooves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:19 am 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:

Wire Screen push wheel works well for this as well, if you have one of those...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:26 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes, I thought about that but haven't needed one yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:02 am 
Expert
Expert

bitsandvolts wrote:
coco wrote:

Wire Screen push wheel works well for this as well, if you have one of those...

Oh yes, I know how to use one of those :-) this is Australia and we have plenty of flies.

Thanks for the info Stephen, the next sIII goes into a combo unit. Still not recieved the 12" lorantz speaker but I guess they are using the camel train across the Nullabor Plain to save money.
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:32 pm 
Expert
Expert

I tell ya, I'm going to go with the whole 'stray slightly from convention' when I build my head cabinet.

On my lightning cab, I used a regular handle instead of a dogbone and I actually like it better, since I can stack the heads(and the lightning being a wider cab, always ends up on the bottom of the stack). So regardless, it looks slightly different...I have to upload pictures when I get a free moment.

Anyway, I never liked the piping on the top of the old marshall cabs. I'm ok with the cross piping on the front....but the top piping that parallels the side of the cab really doesn't look nice to me.

So I suspect that I will only do the piping for the front panel, and leave it like that...

-Frank

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:39 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

That process will work as well and is fine for one-off cabs, If you are doing them in production, you need speed. That way is slower because you have to place each piece.
I do like the approach though

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:59 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Keep on building!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:35 pm 

Materials you'll need:

Piping strip (also known as welt cord or piping cord)
Tolex adhesive or strong glue
Rubber mallet or hammer
Utility knife or sharp scissors
Step 1: Prepare the Piping Strip
Measure the length of the joint where you want to add the piping strip. Cut the piping strip to the required length using a utility knife or sharp scissors. Make sure the ends are cleanly cut and not frayed.
Step 2: Apply Adhesive
Apply a thin, even layer of tolex adhesive or strong glue along the edge of the joint where you want to place the piping strip. Be sure to cover the entire length where the piping strip will go.
Step 3: Attach the Piping Strip
Carefully press the piping strip onto the glued edge of the joint. Use a rubber mallet or hammer to gently tap the piping strip into place, ensuring it adheres well to the tolex and the joint.
Step 4: Repeat for Other Joints
If you have multiple joints where you want to add piping strips, repeat the above steps for each one. Take your time to ensure the piping strips are straight and aligned properly.
Step 5: Trim Excess Piping
Once all the piping strips are in place and the adhesive has dried, use a utility knife or sharp scissors to trim any excess piping. Cut it cleanly and close to the edge of the joint for a neat and professional finish.
Step 6: Check for Secure Attachment
After trimming the excess piping, double-check that all the piping strips are securely attached and there are no loose edges. Dave The Diver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:45 pm 

To fit piping strips when applying tolex, start by cutting the tolex material to the desired size and preparing the piping. Apply adhesive to both the tolex and the piping. Position the piping on the edge of the tolex and wrap it around the joins, ensuring it adheres well. Trim any excess material, and secure the edges with heat if necessary.

source link.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:46 pm 

Take caution during the process to achieve a professional finish. Repeat for multiple joins if needed. With these steps, you can add a polished look to your project with neatly fitted piping strips. Practice and patience will help you achieve the best results. Which you can check it here Honkai: Star Rail All Characters List.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:06 am 
Friend
Friend

To get a polished appearance, use caution when doing this. If more than one join is required, repeat. By following these instructions, you may use perfectly fitted pipe strips to give your project a finished appearance. Your finest achievements will come from practice and patience. which you are able to view here. bitlife