trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:15 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hi all,
Going to start a build using Stephen's III layout. I'm curious if their's a layout for adding a reverb to the amp. Or maybe I should leave well enough alone. CoCo said that Airmech was also wondering the same.
Thanks,
Jac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:50 am 
Experienced
Experienced

What type/how much reverb are you looking for? Foldback reverb is very easy to add to an amp, but you’re not going to get surf drenched reverb out of it. I have added foldback reverb to several amps and find it is enough for me, also the foldback only takes ½ a 12AX7. The Fender style reverb can also be added to the amp, it just takes more components, another tube and a transformer. I can post a layout of just the reverb section if you are interested. Here is a pic of how I installed it in my Lightning which was already built (the board off to the side is for tremolo).

Eddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:01 pm 
Friend
Friend

Perhaps tremolo and reverb. How many tubes will that require? As long as we need to add a transformer we might as well have it all. I have seen a unit containing the fender type circuit that attaches on the side of the cabinet under the chassis. Any schematics would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:20 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

For foldback reverb and tremolo it only requires one tube. I don’t have a layout for the sIII, but here is one for a lightning, which should give a good idea of how to use it in the sIII.

And this is the layout for the same thing in a stand alone configuration.

Eddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:25 pm 
Expert
Expert

Ouch, I think I better concentrate on building my 1st 18watt and get it right. Then, I 'll concentrate on reverb after I completly understand. Thank you very much. I'll keep the layout for future referance. Airmech, maybe if you figure out the layout, you could pass it along. Thanks again,
Jac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:16 am 
Friend
Friend

erl,
Thanks for the schematics. I have a few questions that perhaps you can answer for me. The schematic shows two foot switch connections. Are these one each for the reverb and trem? And is this where the center contact for the footswitch jack connects? So, then if I jumper this point to ground it will switch? It shows a B+ connection, is there a given voltage for this? The send connection is at the 4 ohm jack, does it matter what jack it is on? Did they give a rating for the tank for input/output ohms? I appriciate anything you can help with. I'm new at this and need the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:32 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Yes, the 2 footswitches are for the reverb and tremolo. With the connection open the effect is on, and when you ground the center tap it turns the effect off (by dropping the signal to ground). The B+ can be pulled from where the other pre amp tubes are supplied from, I don’t have a specific voltage, I have used it on several different amps and it dose not seem to be to dependant on it. The send for the reverb can come off of any of the speaker taps. If you use a higher ohm speaker jack, you might want to increase the 30 ohm resistor some so as not to burn out the reverb tank. The tank should be 8-10 ohms, such as a Accutronics 4AB3C1B or 9AB2C1B.

Eddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:11 am 
Friend
Friend

Eddie,
Thanks, you covered it all. Now, if I can find enough space in my chassis. I'm already running 8 tubes, sIII 6V6 combo.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:20 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We're working on something that might do it. :D

I'll post if/when we get close.