trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sIII Settings and Sounds
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:24 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Thought I would start this thread and share some of my favourite settings and setups for the sIII and sIII-v6 (when I get one!).

JTM 45

Volume - 8+
Master - 8
Treble -7
Mid - 4
Bass - 2

You can adjust the amout of edge in the distortion profile by using more volume and less master. Conversly, when you crank the master and roll back the mids you will get a more woody power tube distortion.

I used the TMB channel only and the boost was off. The guitar is a historic 335 with 57' Classics (alnico 2 magnets). The guitar has a lot of bottom end so the amp settings kinda reflect that. What I think is more important is that you can dial in the feel and gain of various era marshalls.

Van Halen tone

TMB Channel
Bass - 0
Mids - 9
Treble - 8
Volume - 8
Master V - 11 ;-)
Boost - On

Normal Channel
Tone - 9
Volume - 7

Both channels are linked together. Plug the guitar in the upper input on the TMB channel and plug a patch cord into the lower input on the TMP channel. Then plug the other end into the upper input on the Normal channel. If you do not have boost on your amp just turn up the volume on the normal channel to max. This sound really demands a cab with one or more greenbacks. This tone also works well with the bomb. I used a Les Paul for this tone.

more to come later......

Last edited by lbethune on Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:49 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Great idea. Maybe it should be entitled "What Are Your Favourite sIII or TMB Settings & Sounds?" I'll work on getting some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:32 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Talk about great timing, I was getting ready to ask if anyone had suggested settings they liked for the sIII (with boost :D ).

I just modified my nephews sIII with the boost mod and put it into it's new head cab. The cab is his Christmas present, got the amp away from him to add the boost mod. He's a very good young (15) player and it's his number 1 amp. I'm "testing" it out with my new R8 LP until the holiday. then I'm ordering a SIIIv6 for myself.

Stephen, great work on the cab, it looks fantastic, great workmanship, thank you for all of the patience and help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

jcny, that R8 must just scream through the sIII. The amp truly loves humbuckers. But to prove that it likes strats too I have this semi distorted strat setting.

Bass - 4
Mid - 4
Treble 7
Volume - 10
Master - 3

Tone - 9
Volume - 6/7

Boost Off but you can turn it on depending on your pickups.

Post subject: Texas Tone
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:04 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Here are the settings that I used for a LONG time with my original TMB. It translates well to the sIII.

Bass - 4
Mid - 9
Treble 2 (yes 2)
Volume - 10
Master - 6
Boost - On

You might need an attenuator for that one. :wink:

If you want to link channels then try starting here.

Bass - 4
Mid - 9
Treble 2 (yes 2)
Volume - 10
Master - 6
Boost - Off

Tone -8
Volume - To taste. Tweak it up slowly until you start to hear the mojo. Take it up a little bit more and rolll back the guitar volume. Then pick away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:11 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Ibethune, thanks for all of the suggestions, I'll give them a try!

I'm still getting used to the R8, it's similar yet different than the studio, which is a good thing. The R8 seems a bit brighter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:30 am 
Experienced
Experienced

My lespaul is all mahogany, no maple top. I guess there is one more guitar I need to get. Depending on the speakers you use you might want to roll back the tone on the guitar just a bit.

LB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:19 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I've only been playing for two years, have a long way to go. However I did find out real early how to make the studio sound good (to me at least), my guitar teacher who plays professionally has told me how good it sounds. I like the switch knob in the middle position, both pickups, bridge tone around 8, neck tone around 3 or 4 and adjust the volume knobs to taste. The R8 sounds brighter and has a much more distinct tone change switching from the bridge to the neck than does the studio. Still learning, its all fun, need to practice more.
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:56 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

jcny wrote:
I've only been playing for two years, have a long way to go. However I did find out real early how to make the studio sound good (to me at least), my guitar teacher who plays professionally has told me how good it sounds. I like the switch knob in the middle position, both pickups, bridge tone around 8, neck tone around 3 or 4 and adjust the volume knobs to taste. The R8 sounds brighter and has a much more distinct tone change switching from the bridge to the neck than does the studio. Still learning, its all fun, need to practice more.
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Very cool. I really like the both pickups setting. There are a lot of great tones in there. THAT is how you get good clean tone out of a Lester.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:42 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Well I just tried the JTM45 settings from above on my SIIIv6 switched to the 6v6 tubes.

Sounds very good, of course I haven't really been able to get anything that doesn't sound good out of this amp.

Ibet, when you get a chance to try an SIIIv6, could you tell me how close it can get to a JTM45?

I'm guessing but since postings on 18watt.com suggest a 6v6 plexi style to get close to a JTM45, and the TMB channel on the SIIIv6 is voiced plexi and with 6v6's, it sound like the amp should already be there.

I've always liked what I've heard from a JTM45 on vinyl, but am interested how close the v6 can get to it in real life. If the v6 can get 90% of the way there at slightly lower volume, I can stop GAS'ing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:58 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I will have to get the 6v6 from Coco this weekend and check this out for you.

Cheers
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:38 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks Larry, I'm interested in your opinion.

I like the settings you have suggested so far, the JTM setting is real nice with the R8, but everything sounds good on this amp that I have tried. It's just that some are better than others.