trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:16 pm 

Just finished up my kit a couple of days ago. Thanks for putting together such a great kit! I finally got a chance to put it through some paces this afternoon and this thing is wonderful! :D

The build went smooth and everything fired up right the first time. I'm guessing that I put about 20 hours into it. Took my time and double checked a lot along the way. Making sure everything matched up between layout and schematic.

Can't wait to get the cabinet to put this thing into. Stephen, if you think about it, let me know when it's on it's way.

I'll try getting some pics posted soon. I think the wiring looks good but I'd be open to any pointers from anyone that notices anywhere that I can improve upon things. A may clean up the routing about V1 but it seems pretty quiet as it is. Anyone have any thoughts for just how much of a noise floor this thing should have?

Thanks!

Kevin Boran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:51 pm 

Managed to get some pics. Let me know what you think. This is my first amp build.

Thanks!

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:36 pm 
Expert
Expert

Looks great Kevin, nice work for a first kit.
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:41 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Congratulations. Your build looks excellent! And for a first build. I can't suggest any changes, so play it and have fun!
20 hours is pretty good for your first build and it fitred up first time. Awesome.

We'd love to hear some clips if you care to post them.

As far a noise floor goes - with everything on max (T,M,B,V,MV), minimal hum, some hiss from the carbon comp resistors.

I am tolexing doing cabs this week. Woodwork is done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:12 am 

Thanks for the thoughts guys! I think I'm good on the noise factor. Hum is only barely perceptible with everything pinned and the hiss isn't bad at all. That Mesa F-30 you see in one of those pics is way noisier. It bugs me enough that it may well hit the sell pile now that the kit is done.

I'm still working on getting some recording gear together. I've got my eye on couple of things. I'll post something when when it comes together.

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:24 am 
Novice
Novice

Kevin,
It looks great. Coco makes it so easy, doesn't he?
The only changes that I can tell you is to change tubes 'til you find the right combo. Ive been havin' a blast swappin' in and out various tubes into each socket, both pre and power. None of my other tube amps (Six) work right now due to pilfered tubes. I've got two square feet of my desk covered in valve-y goodness, all awaiting their turn in the socket. Big fun.

LeeMo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:31 am 

Thanks LeeMo!

Having a good base of parts and instructions sure does make for a smooth build. Of course now I'm already thinking about what else I should try building!

I've already been doing a bit of tube rolling. Currently I'm running old NOS RCA 6V6's and some old NOS Sylvania EL84's. The 12ax7's are all new Tung Sol's. Those are my current faves. I've got a selection of new 12ax7's but I need to pick up some more NOS stuff to see if I can find anything I like there as well. I've got my eye on some Brimar's that I'll probably pull the trigger on one of these days.

I've got a few tube amps sitting around as well. Five for guitar plus my pre-amp and power amp for my stereo are running tubes. So I've got plenty of places to use tubes!

Someone on 18watt.com is putting together a little amp fest next month in the Minneapolis/ST. Paul area. I'm going to try to make it down there with this one and see how she stacks up.

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:54 pm 

A quick update for you. I brought my amp to an amp fest here in the Twin Cities last night. Had about 15 or so people show up and half a dozen amps. The sIII V6 made a very good showing. It was a very informal gathering but a number of the attendees auditioned my amp and I got great reviews from all. Thanks again Stephen for a great kit!

Current tube choices: V1 and 2 are a pair of NOS Sylvania black plates, V3 is a new stock Tung Sol, EL 84's are a pair of NOS Austrian built Mullards and the 6V6's are still the NOS RCA's. So far I find myself sitting on the EL 84 side most of the time. Nice to have options though!

I've got a Presonus Firepod showing up next week. Hopefully get some recording done in the near future here. I'll post some clips once I've got it together.

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:38 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Oh yeah, I forgot you guys were getting together. Sounds like it was a lot of fun. Glad to be of assistance!

What other amps were there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:12 pm 

There was a pretty good variety. The closest to mine was a BBQ TMB 18. There was also a P1 combo running a 6L6 power tube pushing two tens. That one was my second favorite. A rebuilt Bassman that was a mix between the 64 and 68 circuits. A Princeton clone and some sort of other home built running an odd bunch of tubes that I didn't quite catch. It was about a 2 watter. So not a ton of amps but a good sampling. It sounds like they're going to try to set up another one in the next couple of months.

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:25 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Maybe have the next one after the snow melts! These are fun. We held a jam recently at which were 2 Trinity sIII, a v6 and a Trinity deluxe. It was 5 hours of great rock & roll.

Here's a ZZTop tune, sound recording is not great. lbet is playing the 'beer bottle'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwQDpnOlzxE