trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:50 am 

Well this is my first post here. I am considering doing an sIII v6 kit as a first build. Can you please tell me about your experience with them? I emailed Stephen some questions and he provided mewith some very thorough answers, but he suggested that I post some here as well. So here they are:

How would you describe the difference in the tone between the el-84 and 6v6 channels?

How difficult did you find the build? Would it be OK for a first shot at an amp build?

What speakers do you prefer with it?

Do you prefer it as a combo or in a head/cab configuration?

Does it take pedals well? What ones have you had success/failure with?

Did you build or buy your cabinet? Any good sources for plans? I think my dad may be able to help me build them.

Any tips as I try and make up my mind?

Thanks for Reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

Well, I'm in the middle of my first build as we speak. I chose the TMB v6. Obviously I can't comment on the tonal differences between the EL-84s vs 6V6s, but my decision to build a v6 vesrion was based on the idea that its a slightly different breed that anything out there. Just a few extra parts and with a flick of a switch, there's instant tweak potential, whether it's subtle or not. Bottom line, the kit should not be much different than a sIII without the v6 mod.

I'm slowly plodding along on my build now and it's not difficult since aside from the scematics the layouts provided by Stephen are superb. I think that without the layout feature, as a first build one would probably lean towards a little "Champ" type kit. But, in all fairness, any Trinity kit can really be as simple it will just take longer and you have to use a bit of TLC over a longer build. Not the end of the world if your kit is not fired up in a couple of hours. It'll be worth the wait I suspect.

I haven't reached the speaker stage yet, but I will be using either the Tone Tubbies in a 212 cab (one ceramic and one alnico) or a couple of Eminence of a similar design. I suspect I'll try to keep them in the 30-40 watt range so that the 18 watter will push them a little more.

I have a number of tube amps now, in combo and head cab configuration, and for my money in the future (especially my Trinity builds), I will be going with head and cab. First, i think there may be a little more room to build in the head chasis. But mainly since I intend to build 2 to 3 Trinity kits. So, by using a head and cab approach you can build one excellent cab and just mix and match the heads. It will save $$ in the long run since there will no need to buy speakers with future builds. Besides, the cab (or the head for that matter) can be used with other gear. Mix and Match!

I am going to build a head cab and a 212 cab. I found plans for a head cab on 18watt.com. I'll try it myself first. If it doesn't work, I'll have the cabs built for me. However, i think part of the fun in a build will be doing the full build. However, if my cabs aren't up to snuff astetically, i'll get some good prefessionally made cabs since you don't want your prize build living in a crappy looking cabinet!

Overall, I say order the kit that appeals to you. I think any one will present the same challenges. Just take your time, read the layout and build guide carefully. Make sure you get a handle of soldering since I suspect this is what can make or break a good build.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:33 pm 
Expert
Expert

I would suggest a Deluxe or Trinity 15 as your first build however a lot of it will be down to your general electrical skills. soldering and the like. Stephens instructions are very clear for all amps but for a first build you may want to look at something that is a little bit easier to debug once you have finished it. The sIII is a fine amp and the one I use for live work at the moment, I built it as my fourth build by which time I had gained a lot more experience in what to look for when I fired the sucker up first time.
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:31 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

My first buils was an sIII, second build was an SIIIv6. My build notes are further below in this forum, you can read then and see what you think.

It depends on your soldering skills and how well you can follow a layout and how confident you are. JUST REMEMBER ALL OF THE SAFETY RULES!!

I'm a mechanical engineer and basically don't trust electricity, so I'm very careful.

What do you have for equipment and tools? That will make a difference.

I built a head, more room to work with and you can switch out speaker cabs. I'm running a 2 x 12 (the hardwood cabs shown in the dressing room forum under mahogany and maple 2 x 12 cabs, georgous) with a Celestion G12H30 and V30 pair, sounds real good to me.

The 6v6 channel sounds definitely cleaner than the el84's, maybe a little darker and not near the crunch, at least to me
:D

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:10 pm 
Expert
Expert

Haven' finish my sIII yet, but I will tell you. Stephen is the best. You have complete help from him no matter what. First you have the 65 page instructions, then you have the forum and email. He answers all..
The kits are 1st class, they even use SOZO's what more do you want.
Once a Trinity builder, always a Trinity builder.

It's a nice family here if you need help.
Jac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:37 am 

Thank you all for your responses!

I would say I still have basic soldering skills. I have put together a few pedal kits and all came out very well.

JCNY - I saw yur build notes, they are very thorough, and if I decide to go forward I am sure that i would refer back to them often as a second instruction manual.

I was thinking of building the head version, just for flexibility's sake, but it is good to know that there is more room and that can make the build a little easier.

Does he 6v6 side have an American sound to it, or is this thing Marshall throuh and through?

Does anyone run one side of their amp clean, and then the other on overdrive and then change between them, or do most o you just ride your volume knob?

Thanks again for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:20 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks for the kind words on the notes.

I would say that the 6v6 side is "sorta" Fendery. I believe that the way the tone stack is configured with the values used still keep the Marshall vibe, the 6v6's sounding so clean compared to the el84's give it a Fender flavor. Take my view with the warning that I'm relatively new to building and I've only been playing a little over 2 years. I defer to those with more experience :)

I don't have an A/B box (yet) so I haven't been able to switch between channels, so I can't help you there.

If you have basic soldering skills, you had me beat when I started, although I worked for a while ina an industry where I got to observe a few NASA certified solderers so I knew what good joint should look like and how to make good mechanical connections before soldering..

Good luck, Stephen is great to work with, and we're all here to help :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:49 pm 
Friend
Friend

I would have to agree with jcny. I have the sIIIv6 and the 6V6s sound the most "Fendery" to me on the normal channel. I have had several real 5E3 Deluxes and currently have a clone I built. The V6 side of the sIII is close enough that I'm thinking of selling the 5E3 clone. Stephen's kit was well documented and I would think a very doable build if you have the pedal experience. I am a history teacher and my first build was a deluxe reverb...boy, was I in over my head! If you have questions, Stephen is very fast to respond as are the nice folks on this board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:11 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
I am going to build a head cab Keith

I think some plans for a head cab is posted on this forum too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:32 pm 
Expert
Expert

Where? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:32 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks Stephen, I check those out as well.

BTW, I'll be ordering my PT & OT from you over the next couple of weeks. I should get some soldering done tonight...when the kids are fast asleep :)

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:47 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
Where? :D

viewtopic.php?t=243&highlight=cabinet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:35 pm 

Another question. I just thought of this, and I am pretty sure that the answer is "no". But if you don't ask, the answer is always "no", so here it goes...

Can the sIII v6 be set up so that it is running 6v6 on the normal channel, and then the el-84s on the TMB channel? Is this even possible? Thanks,

Singned,
The Noob. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

No. They both use the same Phase Inverter so it has to be one or the other, or a second PI!