Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Convince Me!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:15 pm 
Friend
Friend

Here's the situation:

I play classic rock & contemporary worship music using a modified Tele and a Les Paul Standard. Influences are Clapton, Allman Bros, Hendrix, SRV, Tom Petty, Beatles, Richard Thompson, Third Day, Paul Baloche, Lincoln Brewster, etc..

I've owned a *lot* of amps since the 60s, including a '52 Deluxe, Princetons, Deluxe Reverbs, Bandmasters, Boogie, Roland JC-120, Polytone, Blues Jr., etc., and a lot of guitars, too. At present, I use a Fender Super Champ XD, a Deluxe Reverb clone, and a single-ended 6L6 based on a P1 schematic from the AX84 site.

I've got G.A.S. for a really nice 15-20 watt head, and I've pretty well narrowed my choice down to a Dr. Z m@z 18 Jr or a Trinity TC-15. Since these amps are *somewhat* similar, I'm just looking for someone who has played through both to give me a comparison. I generally have an overdrive, delay, and boost between guitar and amp.

I'm very comfortable with a soldering iron (retired military avionics tech), and my last amp (the 6L6) was totally scratch-built - from bending & punching the chassis to finger-jointing and Tolexing the cab - so if The Dr Z and Trinity are pretty well equal, I'd just as soon build a TC-15. :-)

So ..... Based on my musical influences, would either the Dr Z or the Trinity TC-15 have an advantage over the other, or would it be pretty much a wash? My plan with either head is to buy or build two 1x12 cabs with Celestion G12H30 and Vintage 30 speakers (or their Hellatone equivalents).

Comments or guidance?

Thanks,
Monte

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:57 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Monte,

I'll also send this link to someone I know who has played both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:59 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
Monte,

I'll also send this link to someone I know who has played both.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Hi Monte,

I have played both amps and have to say you have two very good finalists on your list. The m@z is one loud amp. It is easily much more like 24 watts than 18. It is fairly clean too....almost all the way up. Cranking the master is the best way to get distortion from the amp but even then it's more like singing sustain than edgy overdrive. This makes the amp great for dynamic clean tones. It also accepts pedals very well. For me and my classic rock tastes I needed more grind but I was impressed with big sound coming out of that amp.

The TC-15, because it's a two channel amp, has a couple of different sounds to offer. The EF86 channel is kind of schizo. It has some of the warmest clean tones I have ever heard as well as some amazingly thick and aggressive overdrive tones. There is also something about the input impedance or whatever but this channel cleans up well when you roll back on the guitar volume. The other channel has some sparkling clean tones. Very vox like in tone structure. This is my favourte channel for single coil guitars. You can get a cool tones from this channel but the mids are quite scooped for most settings of the tone controls. This is different from the midrange hearty tones of the m@z. Also, cuz it's a two channel amp, you can use an ABY pedal to switch between channels.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:47 am 
Friend
Friend

Larry,

Thanks for the excellent information. Until I came to the Trinity site, I had settled on the Z. Your mp3 clips of the TC-15 and the other excellent reviews here are what made me realize the Trinity might be just what I need. Decision, decisions ........

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:42 am 
Expert
Expert

So what was the decision? come on.
I own both, but an illness prevented me from completing them. I'm about to get some help.
I own 32 amps. Of course the best and rarest.
I want the Trinity more then all.

Email me I'll send you a list of my amps. (NOT everyone,duh)

You will NOT go wrong with a Trinity,
Later
"Whatever music you play is what keeps all music alive for the rest of eternity". jp08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:01 am 
Friend
Friend

I'm going to build a TC-15. I just ordered the transformers yesterday. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:16 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

You WILL love that amp. In my opinoion, anyone who plays guitar and loves good tone couldnt possibly dislike the TC15.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:32 pm 
Expert
Expert

Yea :D :D
The more people that own a Trinity, the less war the world will have.
I do get strange at times, lol

ajcoholic,
that was very nice, just read it.
Later