trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:28 am 
Friend
Friend

It occurs to me that if I purchase a Trinity 18, and it does not have quite enough balls, thump and volume to suit my taste, that it would be nice to be able to convert it to a 36 watter. Other than a bigger power tranny, bigger output tranny, and two more EL84's, what else would be involved? How much work would it be? And, if it had the VRM about to be available, would that work on a 36 watt version with minimal changes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:34 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The answer is yes.

You probably need the extra tranny power/handling. Two more EL84s, different cathode resistors, half power switch or VRM. Maybe a few other parts ( choke perhaps)

Both the head & combo chassis are punched for the extra tubes.
Bonus - current 36 W iron fits the existing cut out on the chassis.

Are you thniking, what I'm thinking? LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:48 pm 
Friend
Friend

I don't know, what are you thinking? I've only had one cup of coffee this morning and haven't listened to any AC/DC yet, so I'm probably a little slow right now! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:44 pm 
Friend
Friend

Are you thinking that you should make a 36 watt 4 x EL84 amp head with VRM because it would be a relatively easy addition to the Trinity line?

Things that make you go...Hmmmmmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:19 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Stolysmaster wrote:
Are you thinking that you should make a 36 watt 4 x EL84 amp head with VRM because it would be a relatively easy addition to the Trinity line?

Things that make you go...Hmmmmmm...

Took you long enough!! LOL!!! Seemed like a good idea at the time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:44 pm 
Friend
Friend

It still does! How about a Trinity 36 with VRM, a foot switchable boost, and replacing the low input on the normal channel with a gain control for that channel? I figure that the extra headroom in a 36 watter could allow for a little more flexability in the normal channel. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:17 pm 
Expert
Expert

You must have a neighbor you really don't like and want to teach them a lesson about rock & Roll :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:51 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Stolysmaster wrote:
It still does! How about a Trinity 36 with VRM, a foot switchable boost, and replacing the low input on the normal channel with a gain control for that channel? I figure that the extra headroom in a 36 watter could allow for a little more flexability in the normal channel. What do you think?

It's all within the realm of possibility. Just need a willing customer who wants to experiment a little!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:04 pm 
Friend
Friend

jac wrote:
You must have a neighbor you really don't like and want to teach them a lesson about rock & Roll :lol: :lol:

As a matter of fact, I was testing out my new 50 watt JCM800 style build with updates according to KOC just four nights ago...within 20 minutes the police were knocking at my door, after our new neighbor in the adjacent townehouse realized I wasn't a hip hop fan like they are. I guess they are not as enthused about rock music as I am. The police didn't seem to think so either. I was using a single 12" Greenback, and the master volume was only about 9:00 on the dial. My new amp seems to be louder than my 50 watt Marshall.

coco wrote:
Stolysmaster wrote:

It's all within the realm of possibility. Just need a willing customer who wants to experiment a little!!

Speaking of my Marshall, Stephen, it's on ebay and closes this Saturday. As soon as it sells, I'll be writing to you about this realm of possibility. I don't mind experimenting at all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:15 pm 
Expert
Expert

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, I can't stop laughing.
I've had the police at my door a number of times.
As you reflect back, it's awesome. I would never trade those moments, never! The rush is great. No drugs; No booze; No nothing except just R&R. And here come the police.
Funny, people love music, but just in there own category.

And that's totally great about buying an Trinity.
You can go to every site that sells amp kits and never find a better amp design. Might be a little more, but it's more than worth it. You'll see. Good choice and we're here for you.
Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:10 pm 
Friend
Friend

jac wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, I can't stop laughing.
I've had the police at my door a number of times.
As you reflect back, it's awesome. I would never trade those moments, never! The rush is great. No drugs; No booze; No nothing except just R&R. And here come the police.
Funny, people love music, but just in there own category.

And that's totally great about buying an Trinity.
You can go to every site that sells amp kits and never find a better amp design. Might be a little more, but it's more than worth it. You'll see. Good choice and we're here for you.
Later

Yeah, it's kind of a thrill nowadays, as I'm about to turn 50 years old; the police always bring back a lot of memories though. In my younger days, I would have been running into the bathroom to flush certain naturally growing subsances down the toilet before I answered the door in a red eyed panic, after spraying copious amounts of ozium in the main room and hiding the bong in the closet. Oh, to be young again.

I'm probably not going to go the kit route this time. I'm in the process of finishing my 50 watt 2204 type build, and frankly, I'm tired of soldering and trouble shooting taking up all of my time. I'm ready to get back to spending my spare time playing and recording! My wife is a singer, and keeps asking me when she'll be able to start laying down some keeper vocal tracks on three songs that we were in the middle of when I started my 50 watt amp build. So, I think I'm going to purchase an already assembled amp from Stephen so I can just plug in and enjoy immediately. I'll be glad to move into a new residence in two-four months though, when we are in a real house with a yard and basement seperating me from neighbors! 8)