trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:21 am 

I know, I know, :roll:
I've already bugged Stephen. But, I can't help myself :wink:
Here's my deal. After years of using all types of channel switchers (Boogie, Fender, Marshall, Ampeg, etc), I'm trying to move towards several classic type amps to make my setup out of. I'm currently awaiting a 66 Princeton clone with a 12 baffle to come in. I want to supplement it on some gigs with an 18 (and use the 18 by itself depending on the gig as well). I play some country gigs, and some classic rock gigs, all going from quartets to power trios. I'm thinking a 1 12 combo but, in thinking about it some, I may be open to a head/cab type setup too. I need some available headroom for the country gigs for sure. Stephen was leaning towards the Plexi for me. I'm thinking the Plexi or the S6. He tells me the S6 would be very tight to go in a combo box. You guys know how small stages can be so, I was trying to keep the footprint as small as possible for the A/B Both setup when possible. But, sometimes ya gotta make compromises I know. Any info, experiences, etc. would be greatly appreciated. BTW, anybody wanna buy some Boogie combos? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:42 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You can do both in a combo but the combo chassis we make up it would be a custom job and a bit messy, but it can be done.

I think one person did it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:32 pm 

I'm entertaining the head/cab route all the way around now. I also have an Overtone Dumble clone head coming in. I have an oversized 1 12 cab being made for that. But, Im gonna put my JBL E120-8 in it. I know that won't be suitable for an 18 type amp. So, I'm thinking if I go the head/cab route, either goin' ahead and getting a 1 12 or a 2 12 cabinet. I assume you guys' heads are in the smaller head box? And, they'll fit on most Bluesbreaker type 1 12 cabs without hangover? Heck, maybe I'll do the S6 head now, and later get a 1 12 combo in a different "flavor" :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:20 pm 

I guess my biggest concern is having my cake and eatin' it. On one hand I want some clean headroom up to 4 or 5 on the master. But, I'm aware that isn't so true to form when it comes to the classic sound of an 18.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:09 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Head is 22 X 8 X 8. I know some make them 24 X 8 X 9 but ours is pretty compact for that reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:31 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I have an SIIIv6 head and 2x12 that I built from the kit.

I think the amp cleans up real nice, it depends on where you have it set and where you have the volume controls on the guitar. :D

With my LP R8 I can go from relatively clean to heavy grind / distortion without touching the amp just by moving the volume controls from around 6 up to 10.

Hope this helps :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:03 pm 

I would add that I primarily use my various Strats and Teles for 90% of my gigs. Occasionally, I'll bring my SG w P90s or a Firebird VII with the standard mini hums. I'm not big on using the volumes on my axes. I have a Goodrich volume pedal that I use to regulate stage volume levels and dynamics in a song and for steel licks. I guess in order to take full advantage with these amps I'll need to modify that approach when using an 18 for natural overdrive, etc. As I mentioned earlier, I've been using the second channel of my amps in the past for my overdrive/distortion.