Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:47 pm 
Friend
Friend

I am still not there on this one.

I modified the PI to account for the fact that now, my signals mix into only one side of the PI. After reviewing the output signals on a scope, I decided to change my plate resistors to 100k/110k. I wanted to try 82k/100k but did not have the parts on hand.
With this setup and a JJ long plate in the PI tube slot, I found that my signal was reasonably balanced. Close enough for me (for now...) but I still need to experiment with different tubes for the PI position and may thus continue to tweak the plate values.

I also lowered the bias resisor of the PI from 1.2k to 680. My goal was to compensate for losses due to mixing/running effects in the loop. I am unsure where I will eventually settle in this regard, and more playing time is requred before I commit to a specific value. I left the tail alone for now, but may mess with that at a later time as well.

Also, I measured the input impedance of the PI and noted that it was approxiately 2meg. As such, I decided to lower the value of the PI coupling cap. I am shooting for tight, yet full bass. I figured that eliminating some low frequency information might tighten up the tone. Unfortunately, I did not have a lot of extra caps on hand, but I did sub in a 0.003uf cap (IIRC), which puts my knee right around 24hz and this worked out pretty well, and this should add an extra layer of filtering, depending upon the effects that I use in the new loop.

I did not have a lot of time to fully evaluate these changes, and will do so in greater detail this week. However, I did find that the overall volume of my modified TC-15 was comperable to or exceeds other 15-18 watt EL84 amps that I have on-hand to compare to. Also, the changes are preliminarily having a minimal impact on the tone of the amp as originally configured, at least as far as my ears "remember", with the notable exception that now I have a loop for reverb/delay etc. and an extra stage to drive the EF86 harder.

There is a ton of good reading scattered across the net. Enough for anyone to figure out how to mod this style of amp to their very own personalized tastes. That said, these information resources are best read/studied with an open chassis, an oscilloscope and an open mind all put together in the context of your own needs.

For example, please keep in mind that these tweaks that I have been working on are based upon my particular guitars (tele and strats) with relatively weak output pickups and are further based upon my playing style (country) and are based upon the existing equipment/setup/speakers that I plan on using the amp with. I basically tweak, then listen/play repeat... Your milage may thus vary.

Also, I am interested in hearing other reports of mods to these amps. For example, I have been kicking around the idea of splitting the cathodes of V1 of the TB side to use one triode as a mixer instead of the mixing scheme described above. So far, the current approach is working, so I may try this as a purely academic excercise.

As a side note, the relays have been shipped, but I have not received them yet, so I have not done a lot with the chanel switching on this amp yet, other than to note that my manual switches are working out fine.

Again, I am hesitant to provide a revised schematic/layout until I am happy with the changes and have convinced myself that I will be keeping the revised values. Until then, I hope my explanations are sufficient to steer you all as to the directions I am exploring.

Best regards
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:31 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Tom,

Great work. You're very well advanced on this!! Havent seen as good a project report on this. Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:42 am 
Friend
Friend

Stephen:
You probably have not seen many reports because the TC-15 is one of the few kits I have seen that really does not need anything else to be a great amp right out of the box.

The TC-15 stock should suit many players requirements.

I just happen to have very specific requirements, and a desire to learn about tube amps. Otherwise, I'd probably have left the kit stock as well.

As an aside, I ran my TC-15 into a Z-Best 2x12 cab, took my effects loop out to delay and reverb, and returned the loop to a power amp driving a Red Fang and an EVM12L and the tones I could coax out of a tele were staggering. With my switch, I could easily run the TB side for cleans, the EF86 side for od, but the magic was in the blend of the two.

For single coils, that extra high end on the TB side made the notes of the EF86 side ring with clarity.

My 3-button footswitch arrived yesterday, so all I need are those darn relays!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:53 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Tom wrote:
You probably have not seen many reports because the TC-15 is one of the few kits I have seen that really does not need anything else to be a great amp right out of the box.

The TC-15 stock should suit many players requirements.

Thanks for the feedback! We have had people asking about effects loop often enough that we need to consider a good/simple option here.

Tom wrote:
My 3-button footswitch arrived yesterday, so all I need are those darn relays!

This should be fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:39 am 
Friend
Friend

My relays came in, so I plan on working on the switching system over the next week or two. I have a couple of shows that are going to have to take priority time-wise. Right now, I am sort of in a planning/thinking stage. I may add a choke just to hear for myself what its effects are.

I am also considering adding another trafo to get the power supply I need for my relays, so I really need to think about placement before I jump in.

I will report back as the system goes together.

Best regards
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:25 pm 
Friend
Friend

I just received a ship notification on some parts necessary to wrap this project up, so I should be back to this project in about a week. Stay tuned...

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:22 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
considering adding another trafo to get the power supply I need for my relays

I know the Power tranny can handle 1 releay, probably 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:30 am 
Friend
Friend

Stephen:
The part I am waiting on is a choke. I want to see if I like it, just as an experiment.

As far as the relays are concerned, I plan on using 3 relays minimum. In that regard, I plan on adding another trafo and corresponding power supply circuit dedicated to the relays.

The holdup is that I want to get the choke installed and evaluated before adding a bunch of new parts.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
get the choke installed and evaluated before adding a bunch of new parts

Good idea! I put a choke in the last one I made and minor differences. Maybe a bit less compression; tighter; less sag; bit more attack. All very minor IMO. Would like to hear your input to this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:50 pm 
Expert
Expert

pics :shock: pics :shock:
where are they :shock: :shock: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:59 pm 
Friend
Friend

jac:

Pics and better descriptions are coming. I am falling behind my intended schedule due to the unpredicatbilities of life, but hope to get back onto this project in short order.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:59 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Any progress on the project??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:59 pm 
Expert
Expert

anything happen with this. :shock: :shock: :shock: 8) 8) 8) 8)
The unpredictability of life is always the most important thing to work on.
Please, Please, take care of these issues 1st.
Have a great day!! :D :D :D