trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:15 pm 
Friend
Friend

I just ordered my first kit, and now need help picking a speaker for it. I Want to use the amp for a light weight club amp, and Was thinking of using a single ten inch speaker. has any one tried this? what speakers are best? I want some thing with a fair amount of clean head room.

Thanks,
Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:03 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi, Kevin.

I built a Trinity Deluxe this past spring and chose a Tone Tubby Alnico 12". It is not a heavy speaker by any means, and has a very rich sound - sounds great both clean and overdriven. You might consider going with the 12" instead of 10", because it won't add much weight at all and yet would give you more bass response. But there is also a TT Alnico 10". Both sizes also come in ceramic versions.

Also keep in mind that with the interactive volume controls, you can dial in a good range of sounds from full midrange to scooped mids (which is cleaner) - see the Trinity supplied tutorial, and check out this site - and in my opinion you can get good clean headroom at healthy volumes before pushing into distortion. A NOS rectifier tube will also drop your voltages a significant amount and move you a bit toward the cleaner side of the spectrum. I think you're in for a great adventure building, and then some pleasurable playing and listening!

Best regards,
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:07 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Hi Kevin... Welcome!

Tens and Tweeds have always been my combo of choice. A single ten for live situations may be pushing the "coverage" envelope a bit, but that I suppose would depend on the music style/situation, etc. A Deluxe 2/10 would be ideal for me :D

I have three Jensen P10R's in my 5E7 Bandmaster (mostly for legacy reasons). They were VERY bright and harsh at first but broke in nicely over time.

Good luck with your build :)

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:42 am 
Friend
Friend

I like the Eminence Delta Pro...it is a 12" job...a little heavy but, it is my # cab...

My second recommendation for a clean sound is the Eminence Patriot Red White and Blues 12"...

Major Twang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

I put an Eminence Texas Heat in the Deluxe I built last year. A little less jangly & bit warmer overall than you'd normally hear in that type of amp. It got rave reviews from everyone that heard it.