trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cabinet Help!!!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:04 pm 
Friend
Friend

I need to know the effects of running to speakers of different sizes in the same cab?? Specifically a 15" bleu dog and 12" vin 30.

If it okay to do this, I was also curious how to wire a switch that would let me choose between the two speakers and using both(3 way switch).

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:32 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

At a minimum the 2 speakers should be the same impedance, 8Ω, 16Ω etc. and around the same efficiency (or blend well to your ears) if you plan on running them both together. The simpleist way to do it would be to have two input jacks on the cabinet, one for each speaker and run two separate speaker cables from the amp (see Stephen's speaker cable tutorial). Select the correct impedance on the amp for whatever speaker or speakers you're running at that time. With a switch on the cabinet itself I would be afraid that the impedance selector switch on the amp would be forgotten and you may accidentally run say a 4Ω cabinet on the 8Ω setting on the amp. Not always a problem but it can be in certain configurations. There should be an A/AB/B switch of some sort in the Mouser catalog or other venders. I would suggest something low profile that won't get switched accidentally. You may even be able to configure the same rotary switch that Trinity uses for it's speaker impedance selector to do the job. I'd have to look at it...

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:38 am 
Friend
Friend

Both speakers are the same impedence 16 ohms a piece. If anyone has any advice on a switch, i.e. where to find one, or how to wire it, it would be greatly appriciated. :lol:

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:19 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

This works. You can also do it with switched jacks in an elegant way but this works and is easy to understand.