PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:59 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

bgroup Music is the proud daddy of a new Trinity Amps JTM-45 Custom Build! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Sure is sexy isn't it??!! :D Note the matching purple jewel light!!

It sounds PHENOMENAL... Really big... tight... there's just this "growl" that it has... LOVE it!! I was on the hunt for a JCM800 2203 or 2204 to add to my collection, but this may have squashed that. This might be all the "Marshall" I need... OK, so I'm not going to part with my JCM900, and I still need a Trinity 18W v6 Plexi, but you know what I'm sayin'!!! :)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

Aw c'mon...you KNOW you want a 2203 or 2204 too! :) I built a 2203 a while ago and it's a very different animal form a JTM45. The cabinet is in Stephen's gallery on here in fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:40 am 
Experienced
Experienced

LOL! Well, I would never rule out ANY cool gear purchase, but I'm pretty enthralled with the JTM right now...

Authoritative. This thing has a real big "toughness" to it. But it's "creamy" too... Had a chance to really open it up today and do some recording with it - awesome. It was crazy with this Fender Cyclone guitar I have with a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck, and a TB-5 Duncan Custom in the bridge. I have some clips I can share in the next few days... :)

Interesting also, is that I loved Stephen's prototype JTM through Greenbacks - not as much with this amp, so far anyway... the TTA's are pretty cool (I think they're starting to break in a bit!), and you guessed it, V30s in the Mesa cab...

This is a really "soulful" amp - there's a real "human" quality to the tone if that makes any sense...

:D

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:15 pm 
Expert
Expert

I hear ya. That's why there's a JTM45 (probably a Bluesbreaker version) on my build list. Hope to get to that in the new year - along with a Bassman or SuperBass.

I actually modded my 2204 to more of a JTM/Plexi feel. It's still very in-your-face however - subtle is not in it's vocabulary! It does sound surprisingly nice clean through the low input though - especially with KT77's. I wanted a 2204 with a slightly warmer tone & some extra gain and that's what I ended up with.

BTW, your new toy looks real nice! I saw a custom Marshall stack at Songbird Music in T.O. a few years ago with a similar look. I think that one was a Super Lead, but my memory ain't THAT good...I was too busy drooling over a couple of vintage SG's they had at the time (and cringing at the mad price tags).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:33 pm 
Novice
Novice

Brent, if you keep this up you're going to have to become a "storefront" for Trinity amps and cabs! Seriously, you ought to charge a nominal fee or work out some arrangement, where prospective Trinity buyers can schedule time in your studio to hear the various products and combinations, to decide on what to buy. I don't know, but am suspecting that you have more Trinity stuff up and running in your studio than Stephen does in his shop.

Sure would be fun to take a trip up your way and hear it/play it all! But you'd have serious trouble getting any recording done, and I know that's your bread and butter. But thanks for your great generosity in sharing your insights, conclusions, and gifted hearing with the forum.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:47 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
suspecting that you have more Trinity stuff up and running in your studio than Stephen does in his shop.

Not quite yet but we're working on him!

We really appreciate Brent's contribution to the forum. It's been an eye opener for a lot of us. You can thank him for his push on the TRIWATT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:54 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk - knowing how I work, I will inevitably end up with a 2203/2204... Was just trying to convince myself out loud that I don't need to spend the money! Admittedly though, this JTM has cooled the jets on it a bit... for now anyway... ;)

Oh man, I always wanted a purple amp... 8) And man, this one has lived up to the dream!!! Maybe even surpassed it! It's so sexy... LOL! :D

Jim - LOL! I don't know if I have much interest in "retail"! And I don't need any "fee" to geek out on guitar gear with other amp nerds! I'm really passionate about the stuff, and I think Stephen's amps are genius. I welcome anyone to come by my studio and check the stuff out - it's as fun for me as it is for everyone else. And an hour or two here and there doesn't interfere with my bread and butter... :) So Jim, hop in your car and come on up for a visit!!

And no, net yet, I haven't eclipsed Stephen's own Trinity collection!! While I've had most everything of Stephen's at my studio at one point or another, all I own at this point is the TC-15 with matching 2x12 cab, and the JTM... and pile of stuff from other manufacturers! But I do intend on owning one of everything Stephen makes 'cause its all so amazing... I'd have it all now if I was independently wealthy!!! :)

Thanks for all the kind words everybody! I'm not as technically inclined as everyone here, but I'm glad my contributions have been helpful. And Stephen, I'm just glad that I could convince you (and Phil) to get as excited about building the Triwatt as I am about hearing it!! I think it's going to be a big one for Trinity Amps... :D

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 pm 
Expert
Expert

Just sell that JCM900, and then you can have a JCM800. Everyone knows the 900s (which are partially solid state) don't come close to the 800s for tone. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Oh Phil, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! The JCM 900 is an AMAZING amp! :o It gets slagged on forums all the time for the clipping diodes, but man, that thing cranked is a thing of absolute high gain beauty! :twisted: I can only surmise that folks that criticize it have never heard one LOUD. Admittedly, it's a little top-endy at low volumes, but wide open it's raw, ballsy, and very tooby!! 8)

Side-by-side with the 2205 JCM 800 I used to have, the 900 ate it for breakfast. The 800 just didn't have any power or "teeth" in comparison. I know the 2203/2204 is a different beast than the 2205 which is why I'm interested, but it'll never replace my 900. The 900 also kills the JCM 2000 DSL50 that everyone seems to love - I know 'cause I used to have one of those too, and it was terrible! NO tone at all!! :shock:

Maybe I'm the only guy on the planet that feels this way, but I'll be buried with my JCM900! :D Perhaps I can change your mind about it at the Triwatt listening party!! ;)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:34 pm 
Expert
Expert

I agree with you about the 2205 and the JCM 2000 DSL50. The 2204/2203 JCM800s are *the* definitive JCM 800s. You can forget about the others. There are also some simple mods you can do to the 2203/2204 to beef their tone up, that are real worthwhile. Personally, I don't really like any of the JCM 2000s. Folks who like the DSL50 or TSL100 just haven't heard what a real Marshall sounds like. :)

As for the JCM900 being loud, I once helped a guy remove the clipping diodes from his JCM900 and suddenly he found the amp was both louder and more touch responsive. Now if you'll just leave me alone for about an hour with your JCM900... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:44 pm 

This is a beautiful thang, sexy, smooth, rough, jeez this is almost better than a woman. I know playin that cyclone through it made me want one!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:50 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

OK Phil, you're on! 8) All I need to be reassured of is that your mod can be reversed if I'm not feeling it... because I have A LOT of love for my JCM900... like the kind of love I could feel for a person... even a woman... but if you're telling me a facelift or some lipo will make her even better, I'm game!!! :shock: :lol:

Denon - is that you Eric Spilsbury, the young phenom that played the latest round of awesome clips for me??!! I'm outputting them for Stephen right now!! Well now that you're here you can kiss that Vox of yours good-bye and say hello to a new Trinity!!! :D

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:55 pm 
Expert
Expert

Heh, I was kidding you a little there. :lol: If you like your amp the way it is, I really wouldn't want to touch it. Yes, there are things you could to the tone by removing some LEDs or even trying some different coloured ones. But I'm also a great believer in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule". :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:38 pm 
Expert
Expert

I agree - the JCM900 actually does sound fine dirty & cranked. Never liked the clean side of them, but then again nobody buying that era of Marshalls was all that concerned about clean.

In the JCM900's defense regarding sounding thin/trebly at lower volumes, so does the 2203/2204. There's a couple of simple mods (snip out a couple of caps) to remedy that to a degree. I've done that with mine (along with some other things). Those caps make no noticeable difference with the volume wound out anyway so there's really no loss there. The thing will still rip your head off though... :) Old Marshall circuits are fun & easy to mod without getting into too much trouble. :D

I never liked the TSL, but the DSL was pretty good. Has the Marshall "roar" thing with some extra gain, but my JCM800 eats it alive tone wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:39 pm 

haha damn my cover has been blown! Yaaa its me... so wait a second...are you serious? or are you joking? please tell me your serious hahaha... I dont know what to think!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:59 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

JTM-45 Clips posted here