trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:35 am 
Friend
Friend

hi everybody

I plan to build a fender princeton reverb amps AA1164 from the fender original layout with a GZ34 rectifier tube ( from scratch )

i dont find a lot of information about this amp on the net ( lot of builders make a deluxe reverb )

i have a question about the hammond transformer ( i think it's canadian made )

are there a good quality transformer ? ( they looks good )

i now heyboer are pretty good too

and mercury's transformer are very expensive

my question is for the set ( PT OT REV ) but specialy for the power transphormer ( that the most expensive )

if you have any other information about this amp i will be very interested

thanks

jerome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:31 am 
Expert
Expert

If you can I would go with Heyboer or Mecury. Hammond are decent but for a bit more cash you can get a nicer transformer.

I don't like their power transformers as they find the primary for 115V. This means for people like me who have 120V wall voltage that everything is a little overspec. I usually wouldn't mind but the heaters are at something like 8V, which is not good. Tube life decreases, yikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

Jerome, I agree with Kurt. I used a Hammond PT (and OT) in a Deluxe I built (now sold), following the exact same schematic as Coco's Trinity Deluxe. My second Deluxe was the Trinity from the kit, with the Heyboer trannies. So I was able to play them both side by side, with an A/B switch to compare their sound. With identical guitars and speakers, the Heyboer sounded better to my ears - a more complex spectrum of tones. The Hammonds were not bad, by any means, but the Heyboers are special, to my ears.

Also, I found the voltage issue to indeed be an issue, as Kurt did. My house current runs at about 125V instead of the nominal 115V which Hammond expects in their design. Thus, the amp circuit values definitely run hotter than they should. I decided to "tame" the high currents by modifying the circuit. You wouldn't have that issue with the Heyboer - though of course you'll be looking for 230-240V in Europe. I'm not sure what Heyboer makes with that kind of primary, but I think they do. Others on this site will know that.

Regards,
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:47 am 
Friend
Friend

ok thanks a lot for reply

i will take a tube depot ( heyboer mojo ) transformers

i have two more questions

can i use a jj tesla cap can 40 20 20 20 in place of 20 20 20 20 Cap can show on a fender layout without any others mods ?

can i use a deluxe reverb ( mojo heyboer ) output transformers in place of a princeton output transformer without any others mods ?

and how that mods could affect the tone of the amps

thanks a lot

jerome