trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: more clean headroom...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:33 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Gigged the TC15 again this weekend. Excellent as always! However, I was using some different guitars that I havent used in a while. The pickups are a little hotter than the Fralin PAF's in my LP copy (which give me a sweet sweet clean tone through my 15).

I am currently using the TC 15 set on a fairly clean tone ( master volume off with the channel volume at about 40% just where it breaks up). I am using Chinese preamp tubes which are supposed to be fairly high gain, right?

WOuld going to a different 12AX7 tube give me a little more clean volume, especially with a hotter output guitar (yes, I know turning the volume down would help on the guitar, but I like to leave my volume and tones at 10 for simplicity).

ANy suggestions on tube makes to try? I buy my tubes at the tube store.

Thanks,
Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yeah, those Chinese tubes are pretty hot. Try a 5751 in V1 and check out Gain Factor

When you purchase tubes, try this link to TheTubeStore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:42 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
Yeah, those Chinese tubes are pretty hot. Try a 5751 in V1 and check out Gain Factor

When you purchase tubes, try this link to TheTubeStore

Well,I finally got around to trying the 5751 tube in the V1 position in my original 15.... wow! I think it sounds even better than ever!

Got to try it in my TC15 now...

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

My sentiments exactly!

I've been using a 5751 in the V1 position since I first built my TC-15, and wouldn't have it any other way! Definitely gives more clean headroom, and you can still dial in plenty of crunch and munch with the preamp gain volumes set beyond 40% (and master volume switched in if you need to reduce overall volume).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:28 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Right now I have my combo at home and the TC!5 is at our bass players house (where we rehearse). Going there to practice tomorrow and I am bringing the 2nd tube to replace the V1 in the TC15...

Playing the 15 at home, just set to a light crunch - no effects and kinda' loud is just pure tone heaven! :)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

OK,
swapped the V1 in the TC with the 5751 but it didnt sound as sweet as my original 15...

Then I noticed that in my 15 I have Tungsol tubes and in the TC15 I bought JJ's...

Swapped the other two 12AX7's for Tungsols and Voila! The cleans came around as nice as my 15!!

So, no more JJ's for me. Tungsol preamp tubes and EH power tubes it is...

AJC

PS is there any better tone than my home made 59' Les Paul repro with Fralin PAF's, straight through one of my Trinity 15 watt amps? NOPE! :)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:05 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Interesting. I put Tung Sols in the JTM 45 I build, but never tried them in the 15s. I will though!

So what's the line up including EF86 pre, power & rectifier tubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:57 am 
Experienced
Experienced

in my TC15 right now I have EH (electro harmonix) power tubes and EF86 tube, Tung sol 12AX7's and the Philips 5751 I just put in V1

SOunds amazing!

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:10 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I use the NOS Amperex for the EF86 (the best IMO), but I plan to try the Tung Sols in there. When you buy lots, the prices get closer but the TS are still a bit more expensive.

Nice to have a good option for the EF86. I didnt really like the Winged C EF86.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:42 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Stephen, I was mistaken... right now I have a Tungsol "gold" EF86 tube in my TC15 - I did buy an Electroharmonix but havent tried it yet. I really like the Tungsol EF86 so I guess thats why I didnt try the EH yet. I just looked into the box of spare tubes I have and saw that.

In my 15, I have EH el84's and tungsol 12ax7s and the philips 5751

In my TC 15 now I have the same tubes with the TS ef86 gold.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:54 am 
Expert
Expert

+1 on the Tung-Sol's. I have them in most of mt amps now. They're kind of a hotter Mullard.

I do have Mullard re-issues in my V6 now. I think I'll switch to a TS, at least in V1...I like the extra bit of gain for the sIII channel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I would concur on the Tung Sols as well. I have the gold AX7's and 5881's in my 5E7 Bandmaster... Love them :D

I just got mostly TS's for my V6 as well but haven't tried them yet. Their 6V6's are supposed to be sweet 8)

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:35 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Dan Dufour came over on Wed to try a TC-15. He already has a Tweed Deluxe and Tone Tubby bomb and is looking for a new amp. He tried out the TC-15 with his Tele and even I thought there was a bit too much crunch for hi. So I put a new set of Tung Sols in the TC-15 and a JAN 6072 == 12AY7 . I had an EH !2aY7 but thought the JAN 6072 might be better.

It made a huge difference. He was able to crank it up loud and play on the verge of break-up. Exactly what he was looking for so he's taking it out for a ride. :D

Just wanted y'all to know I tried it and it worked nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:37 pm 
Expert
Expert

There's a bottom line factor here - which is the maximum clean power you can get from a 15W EL84 power amp. So the solutions that have been discussed here just mainly delay the onset of clipping in the preamp. You can also delay the onset of clipping in the PI, by changing the 1.2k cathode resistor for a 750 ohm and/or putting in a 5751. So that leaves the power amp, if you want more real clean headroom. So then it's a case of putting in a higher voltage PT and octal sockets, then running 6V6s somewhere above 400V. Or upgrade the OT as well and run EL34s or 6L6s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:44 pm 
Novice
Novice

To add another factor, how about the number of speakers? Anyone do a study, or have any specs, on how multiple speakers (as opposed to a single speaker) affect clean/dirty? It's certainly not a linear relationship, since with multiple speakers you still have the same overall power output from the amp, divided between the two or four speakers. I've not made a comparison, but would guess that multiple speakers (as opposed to a single speaker), would give a slightly cleaner sound, because each speaker is less likely to break up or dissipate power, at the same amp settings. But I'm really not sure about this.

Anyone have some science here? Or some reliable anecdotal evidence?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:11 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Hey guys

Yesterday I replaced to 1M volume pot with a 500k. The non-EF86 side of the DC30 and the AC30 use 500k volume pots, while the Lightning was designed with 1M to add to it's in-your-face-ness. The 500k gives me another 20% of travel with a strat before breaking up. It's still plenty touch sensitive when I push into it, but I have more headroom. It's a beautiful sound and an easy swap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:59 am 
Friend
Friend

zaphod wrote:
There's a bottom line factor here - which is the maximum clean power you can get from a 15W EL84 power amp. So the solutions that have been discussed here just mainly delay the onset of clipping in the preamp. You can also delay the onset of clipping in the PI, by changing the 1.2k cathode resistor for a 750 ohm and/or putting in a 5751. So that leaves the power amp, if you want more real clean headroom. So then it's a case of putting in a higher voltage PT and octal sockets, then running 6V6s somewhere above 400V. Or upgrade the OT as well and run EL34s or 6L6s.

With the upgraded trannies and EL34s it sounds like a recipe for a great AC50 type amp.

Would anything be gained from using a SS rectifier besides loosing the "sag" factor of the amp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:10 am 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
I use the NOS Amperex for the EF86 (the best IMO), but I plan to try the Tung Sols in there. When you buy lots, the prices get closer but the TS are still a bit more expensive.

Nice to have a good option for the EF86. I didnt really like the Winged C EF86.

Do you have any sources for this tube? My ef-86 channel is just plain boring. It sounds just like the AX7 channel only with a bit more gain and more icepick. I can't remember what it is but its some cheap JJ or EH or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:49 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I buy in lots of 5-10 only off ebay when I need them. The sarge has these - tkilgore@tubetramp.com

He agrees with me that amperex and philips mini were the best ever produced. So look for these.