Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:39 am 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
Typically the shield is attached at the source end, but I think Deric® did this on his TC15 build (check it out on page 2 of the Lightning section). Please chime in Deric® if this is the case.

Just saw this post.. I did connect the shield at the terminal strip on my TC-15. FWIW, I've tried both ways and never been able to hear a difference - even on the same amp. 8) Usually, I just do what is most convenient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

Emohawk wrote:
Well, I just spent an hour ripping through Keith's amp with my stock SG Standard. All I can say is...

:twisted:

Let me say that again...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

We need a bigger s**t-eating grin emoticon to describe this puppy! I tried everything from clean bluesy/jazzy stuff to classic rock to early QOTSA and this thing delivers across the board.

I will commend his tube choices also. The Tung-Sol reissues are my personal favorite pre-amp tube and I love them in both 18's I've built. I also like the JJ EL84's over the EH's I currently have in my 18. They don't seem to get as fizzy and are a little crunchier. The EH's are more open though, so they're a little nicer for the cleaner stuff. The EH 6V6's are nice, but I'd like to do a comparo between those, the JJ's and the Tung-Sol's. The Tung-Sols are supposedly even creamier & bell like and I think that would make this amp almost the perfect hybrid.

But I'll leave it to Keith to do a proper review...I'm REALLY looking forward to his reaction tomorrow when he gets to play through it!

Listened to amp at Darrin's yesterday...it's great when cranked! I'll spend a bit more time with it.

I just wound the TMB channel out to 9's and snapped this little clip on a Zoom recorder, just to get a sense of the 'crunch"....

STE-011.mp3 - 0.81MB

....and it has crunch :twisted: More later when I get some time. (Les Paul Studio, straight in...BTW)

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:49 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Nice little clip you got there!! 6V6 or EL84s ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
Nice little clip you got there!! 6V6 or EL84s ?

Funny! But yeah, it's the EL-84s on 9 (TMB).

In the middle of kids running eveywhere today I just wanted to try it out on the little Zoom receoded to see how it came across.

I've also tried a Tele Plus, Strat, etc in there on more modest settings and it's a great little amp! The 84 vs 6v6 thing I'll have to play with.

The little clip I posted does nothing to show what this amp is capable of. It runs the gamut from clean to mean. However, I was really taken back with the amount of crunch with just a Les Paul straight in had....on 9 :shock:

It's a nice amp. Now Emohawk has convinced me to get a head cabinet from you as well....and a TC 15 :)

(I'll post a more sensible clip soon as well :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:58 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Glad you like it. I'm all ears!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:29 am 
Expert
Expert

I can't take credit for convincing him to order the cabinet. He was pretty impressed with the cabs you've built for me and I think he just needed a trigger.

Now the TC-15...I can probably take credit for that. Just don't tell his wife - I sit next to her at work! :)

That clip actually came out better than I expected. I take it the ones you tried at my place didn't quite cut it, eh? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:37 am 
Novice
Novice

Emohawk wrote:
I can't take credit for convincing him to order the cabinet. He was pretty impressed with the cabs you've built for me and I think he just needed a trigger.

Now the TC-15...I can probably take credit for that. Just don't tell his wife - I sit next to her at work! :)

That clip actually came out better than I expected. I take it the ones you tried at my place didn't quite cut it, eh? :)

Yeah, I had the microphone sensitivity on high and the little 18 watter just overloaded the mics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:17 pm 
Expert
Expert

Fortis wrote:
Yeah, I had the microphone sensitivity on high and the little 18 watter just overloaded the mics!

Yeah - I can see that. It got pretty loud over here!

That's a neat little toy you have in that recorder. The H4 looks very interesting with it's audio interface capability & XLR's with phantom power. Tempting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:14 pm 
Novice
Novice

Fortis wrote:
Emohawk wrote:
Well, I just spent an hour ripping through Keith's amp with my stock SG Standard. All I can say is...

:twisted:

Let me say that again...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

We need a bigger s**t-eating grin emoticon to describe this puppy! I tried everything from clean bluesy/jazzy stuff to classic rock to early QOTSA and this thing delivers across the board.

I will commend his tube choices also. The Tung-Sol reissues are my personal favorite pre-amp tube and I love them in both 18's I've built. I also like the JJ EL84's over the EH's I currently have in my 18. They don't seem to get as fizzy and are a little crunchier. The EH's are more open though, so they're a little nicer for the cleaner stuff. The EH 6V6's are nice, but I'd like to do a comparo between those, the JJ's and the Tung-Sol's. The Tung-Sols are supposedly even creamier & bell like and I think that would make this amp almost the perfect hybrid.

But I'll leave it to Keith to do a proper review...I'm REALLY looking forward to his reaction tomorrow when he gets to play through it!

Listened to amp at Darrin's yesterday...it's great when cranked! I'll spend a bit more time with it.

I just wound the TMB channel out to 9's and snapped this little clip on a Zoom recorder, just to get a sense of the 'crunch"....

STE-011.mp3 - 0.81MB

....and it has crunch :twisted: More later when I get some time. (Les Paul Studio, straight in...BTW)

Keith

Oh...and in case anyone was wondering...it was a a 412 Peavey Penta cab loaded with Celestion GT12-75s.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:10 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yes Stephen...it was the TC-15 cab I wanted for my 18-watter :)

Thanks for helping my wife out with this purchase. It's great. I think the Marshall looks great in this cab :D

This little beauty has been sitting atop of my Dr Z 210 cab all day. My brother-in-law has been plugged into it the whole day (6V6s-cleanish tone). This little head is really holding it's own (and then some) against my Dr Z's :wink:

There's an order for a TC-15 coming really soom (Emohawk will have another project :P )

I'm working on my Trinity logo for the front. I'll post pics when its done. Maybe I'll get some sound clips up today as well.

shessoyng.mp3 - 1.59MB (recorded with Zoom recorder)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:37 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Looks nice and sounds great too. That recording sounds almost acoustic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:43 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
Looks nice and sounds great too. That recording sounds almost acoustic.

Yeah, the amp sounds really nice. Later this week I'll try to get some 'close-mic'ed" snippets. This was recorded with a Zoom H2 which is back about 5 to 7 feet and it gives a nice room ambience.

It's a Strat on the neck position through Channel 1 with 6V6's. It sounds priceless in the same room :D

My Brother-in'law is visting and he absolutely loves this amp....as you can see from the pic, the 'Dr Z m@z 18 Jr NR' is not in it's normal perch atop the Z 210 cab :D ...and that little amp ain't no slouch 8)

Keith