trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: single coil tones
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:14 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I have a lot of guitars... and besides one true Tele with single coil tele pickups, they are all humbucker equipped.

I just bought a used 06' hard tail Strat (USA American STandard, but with some Dimarzio pickups installed) and got it today. Played it through my TC15 and 2x12 cab (closed back with TT 12" alnico and 12" ceramic) and man, it sounds GREAT!

The Strat doesnt sound thin at all as I had suspected it might... vs the typical HB fat tones. Especially with the MAxon 808 overdrive or the Radial Plexitube overdrive - it was awesome! And a nice alternative to all the other stuff I have.

STrats are AOK I guess .. ;)

AJC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:51 am 
Friend
Friend

The TC15 Loves single coil Pickups :D , Nothing tinny about this Amp, Try it with some P90s too.
Dave
PS I don’t have good speakers or speaker cab, but this Amp still sounds great through what I have

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:32 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

+ 1 on that, Cosmo-one! I am a Metal guy and my Strat with Lace Sensors sounds phenomenal through my TC-15, with either V30's or the TT Ceramic. Dynamics, with varying degrees of distortion, depending on pick attack, and amazing, clean tones on the Bass, Treble, channel.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:21 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I have a few P90 equipped guitars and I like them as well. But the Strat is sounding VERY good...

I never fancied myself a strat guy.... but I think this one is a keeper.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:09 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Yup - TC and single coils are a match made in heaven! Love all my guitars with single coils through that amp... and lately, especially my Danelectro! Seriously, everyone with a TC15 needs to go out and spend $300 on one of the latest Danos - they really sound fantastic!! And if you're in Toronto, have John at Ring Music do his thing and it'll play as good as it sounds!!

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:05 pm 
Expert
Expert

I have a "Jimmy Page" Danelectro 59 DC, with a P-90 in the bridge position - it's one of those older ones with the rosewood bridge block. IMO the combination of that with my 18W Lite is the sweetest sound ever. I know it's not quite the same as a TC-15, but they're kind of in the same ballpark. I'm afraid I'm an 18W amp addict. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:27 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

How does that '63 reissue on their web-site compare to a Tele sound? Looks very similar anyway. Lipstick pick-up etc. Interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:36 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Phil, my Dano is the 59 DC also... the reissue from 2 years ago (is yours an original one??). It's got surprisingly good build quality (the 90's reissues were dodgy from what I understand), plays great (with a little help from John at Ring Music!!) and sounds fantastic... :D

Stephen, the 63 reissue has the same pickups as my 59 so it should sound the same. My baritone Dano is the 63. I double-checked with Danelectro before getting it because I wanted the same sound as my 59 but in a baritone - they confirmed that only the body style is different. Sonically it's in the ballpark of the Tele - bright, spanky - but the Dano's different also. I would describe it as being less "meat and potatoes" than a Tele, more of a "secret weapon" kind of thing, and in the middle pickup position with both pickups on it's more of a rock and roll thing than the Tele. Overall, a "crunchier" tone... I think I did at least one TC clip where I used both the Tele and Dano on the same setting didn't I? Yes...

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/TC15/b ... o_Neck.mp3

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/TC15/b ... e_Neck.mp3

and here...

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/TC15/b ... esaV30.mp3

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/TC15/b ... esaV30.mp3

and here...

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/TC15/b ... T_Dano.mp3

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/TC15/b ... T_Tele.mp3

Actually, listening to these clips is a pretty good indication of the difference between the two - the Tele's a bit warmer and more refined, the Dano's got a bit more 'tude! 8) :D

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:39 pm 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
How does that '63 reissue on their web-site compare to a Tele sound? Looks very similar anyway. Lipstick pick-up etc. Interesting.
Not sure. I think that one has a plywood body. I have the more traditional kind, with a hollow body, as shown in the picture below. The lipstick pickups have a wiry scooped tone, which is almost acoustic guitar like, and very different from the sound of a typical Fender pickup. One of Stevie Ray Vaughan's Strats had all lipstick pickups.

bgroup wrote:
Phil, my Dano is the 59 DC also... the reissue from 2 years ago (is yours an original one??)... (the 90's reissues were dodgy from what I understand)...

Mine is a '90s re-issue. I'm afraid an original one would have been out of my price range, and then I wouldn't have dared mod it the way I did. :) I have no complaints about the build quality - all nice and solid, as far as a Dano could ever be. Basically, it's built exactly how the originals were, while the later ones had various gimmicks, such as adjustable bridge saddles. :lol: It has a hot Kent Armstrong lipstick pickup at the neck, wound RW/RP for hum cancellation. The output of that balances nicely with the bridge P-90. I used to find the tone from bridge lipstick was just to thin to be any use on its own. I also put in a mini-toggle series/parallel switch. With both pickups in parallel, you get a nice smooth single coil sound, that's not too far from a Fenderish tone. Switch them in series and it sounds like H/Bs, which is great for solos and Zep-style riffing. :D That's not the only trick I've got hidden away inside this particular guitar, but I'll leave that for later. :)

This is what my guitar looks like, but I'm afraid that's not me playing it. :lol:

bgroup wrote:
http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/TC15/bgroup/2ndset/TC15_Ch2_Dirty_Crunch_Hi_hiINPUT_Dano.mp3

Heh, those are more like what I call clean! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:18 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:

bgroup wrote:
http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/TC15/bgroup/2ndset/TC15_Ch2_Dirty_Crunch_Hi_hiINPUT_Dano.mp3

Heh, those are more like what I call clean! :lol:

That's unfair! Those clips were in the context of some dirty humbuckers! I can't help it if single coils don't drive the amp as hard as 'buckers do!!! :wink: We'll get along just fine Phil... as Stephen can tell you, the first thing I do when I come over to his place to check out an amp is dime the gain to hear what it sounds like wide open!!!! :twisted:

BTW, here's my Dano... obviously Jimmy has excellent taste... :wink: :roll: :D

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:06 am 
Expert
Expert

After playing your Dano, it appears to me that Danelectro has really beefed up the tone of their lipstick pickups. The old lipsticks were a little thin sounding, and had even less output than regular Strat pickups. The ones in your new Dano sounded thicker and more powerful. The guitar was also remarkable low in noise, so I wonder if they're now using RW/RP pickups in one of the positions, so they hum cancel when both are selected. If my older Danelectro DC59 had come with pickups like on yours, I probably wouldn't have bothered to mod mine with the higher output, hum-canceling pickups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:54 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I gotta pick up one of those Danelectro's Brent had. Very cool guitar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:59 pm 
Novice
Novice

To add another recent guitar with TC-15 experience:

I mostly play my 3 pu Tele, because I love the shimmering single coil tones (and the TC-15 adds plenty of harmonic richness). But the last couple of days I've pulled out my old modified '56 LP Jr (I was probably stupid enough in the old days to operate on a collectible guitar, but in this case someone else had beat me to it - so I cleaned it up and made it a very workable guitar).

It has two Z90 Harmonic Design pickups - advertised as more extended spectrum P90s. That guitar sounds fantastic into the 15, both at the amp's cleanest settings and also driven hard. Some wonderful, delicious sounds. If you guys have never tried those pickups, I highly recommend them. All the punch of P90s, great singing tone when driven, yet harmonically complex and never muddy like P90s can be.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Well thanks guys! Glad you liked my Dano! It's pretty crazy guitar for the price. I think everyone should have at least one!!!! ;)

Jim, I have a Gibson LP Double Cut with P90's which is like a modern copy of LP jr-type guitar. It's AWESOME with the TC15 - agreed!! Although I wish mine was from '56 like yours!!! :) I don't find mine muddy, but then I haven't heard yours yet!!!

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:16 am 
Expert
Expert

LP Jrs with P90s are another of my favourite guitars. And they go perfect with these vintage-style amps... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:48 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

this is my LP Jr I made a few years back. It is as close to the real 56' a guy in my town owns (and let me borrow for a day to template and measure, and play!).

As much as I love the P90 tone (currently, it has a custom wind P90 that I got from BG custom Pickups in California) the Strat is just KILLING me these days.

But I think I have to get back to playing the Jr. more. I used to play it a lot. But with 17 guitars its hard to play all of them equally. I am actually scared that the Strat will be getting more play time than some of my most cherished guitars...

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:06 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Nice guitar aj. 17 guitars? How do you manage!
:jawdrop:

What materials is it made of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:47 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

well, I have 7 factory made ones and 10 home built ones (with one in the works, another semi hollow).

The LP Jr is like the original, single piece mahogany set neck, mahogany body, lacquer finish. RW fretboard.

Of course I used African mahogany and Indian RW instead of Honduran and Brazilian...

Its a lightweight, weighing barely 5 lbs ready to play... definitley my lightest weight guitar.

Back to the 15... Yeah, the P90 rocks it very well :)

AJC

PS I still think one of my favourite tones I have ever heard is my big semi hollow with the TV Jones classics, played through my T15 or TC15... my new guitar will also have a set of TV classics.

Post subject: Single Coil Tones
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:37 pm 

Has anyone ever tried EMG SA's (used by David Gilmour) with the TC-15?

EMG also offers an SPC tone control that emulates a humbucker. Any thoughts about how that might sound?

Final question, if not EMG SA's, any active pickup experience using the TC-15?

Thanks!

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:24 pm 
Novice
Novice

Just a note - David Gilmour is back to using his old Black Strat without the EMGs. Check out the latest DVDs. He still sounds pretty much the same, but he's probably using a pedal to boost the pickups when needed.

I have played a strat with the Gilmour EMG setup and it is cool. The Eric Clapton strat with it's Mid boost can also get a sort of humbucker sound from it's single coils.