Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:24 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Fortis wrote:
Now Stephen....how about getting a TC-15 head cab in.....oh I don't know......turquoise tolex :D

That would be a special one for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:24 am 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
Emohawk wrote:
Looks like I'll have prizes when I get to the office tomorrow!!! :D

Hopefully the thing doesn't explode when I fire it up! Have to do some pre-checks first, but with any luck she'll be running tomorrow night.

Sounds like a WFH day (Work From Home)

My roommate is a musician. I wouldn't want to wake him... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:44 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
You are as fast as AJ from KL. We'll see who builds the TRIWATT fastest.

Stephen,
I will let Lesley drive home on Monday after our visit - I figure I have 7 hours drive from Toronto that I can work on the amp... maybe have it ready to play by the time I get home :) Now where do I buy a 12V DC soldering iron?? ;)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:03 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

You could use an inverter. BTW... Don't forget to roll down the ventilation system :roll:

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:35 pm 
Expert
Expert

MWAHAHAHAHA!!! It lives!!! :twisted:

Keith my man - you're gonna LOVE this thing! I tried to make it sound bad...I really did! I just can't do it! I plugged in my Godin LG Signature. Positions 2 & 4 (very strat-like) jangle beautifully. Positions 1, 3 & 5 are very LP and the amp just COOKS when pushed.

Channel 2 with the bass, treble & cut on ZERO sounds good! Open & jangly. Very Voxy. The treble & bass are very interactive - more so than any other amp I've tried. There's an awful wide variety of tones in there. It can sound open & chimey or really boxy & compressed depending on how you dial things in. Run the volume up and you get nice warm overdrive. The more you run the volume, the more syrupy it gets. I almost got stuck noodling on this channel, then I remembered this thing has an EF86 channel too!

That's a tube that loves to be overdriven. It does sound nice cleaner, but it just sings when you push it. My favorite tone was with the volume dimed I the master engaged at around noon. just plain sweet!

The cut control works a little differently than I expected. At zero it makes the amp more open. As you turn it up it gets more boxy. It seems to impact the EF86 channel more.

This thing is tons of fun. I'm running it through my Epi Valve Jr cab - open-back 1x12 with an Eminence Lady Luck. It's a somewhat dark cab. This thing is gonna be NUTZ through Keith's alnico Dr Z cab I think.

I only have 2 minor issues at this point. The power light isn't working. I don't know if it's wired incorrectly or if it's just a bad one. I'll have a look at that when I wire in the tag strip for the heaters. If it's dead, no biggie. I can get one locally I think.

Also, the toggle switches are upside down. I.e. up is off instead of down as the panel indicates. I'll just spin them around. No biggie.

I really like this baby! Keith, you may have to fight me for it!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:47 pm 
Expert
Expert

Wow sounds great! I really want a TC-15 myself. Did you use those reissue Mullards?

The cut control is in the power section so it "should" effect both pre-amp channels equally.

I believe the tone controls are interactive because of a missing ground (or maybe its a ground that should be there?). You can add a switch to make the tonestack interactive or normal style, that's a fun little mod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:11 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well, not my amp so no mods (unless Keith asks for them!). Besides, I like the quirkiness of the interactive tone stack. It would take some getting used to, but it gives you so much range.

I'm sure the cut control does impact both channels equally from a technical perspective. My point is that it seems to have more of a sonic impact on the EF86 channel, especially when overdriving the power section. May just be my perception there.

Further to my previous note, I played around with the "crunch/munch" switch a little. Seems a little fuller & overall a little louder in "munch" (8k) mode (assuming I'm reading things right!). The clean boost is useful on channel 2 also. Don't know if it's really necessary as such, but one more on-the-fly tweak is nice if it doesn't impact things.

Keith ordered the Mullard re-issue EL84's, Tung-Sol 12AX7's (3) and and a Electro-Harmonix EF86.

I just spent another half hour playing through the EF86 channel. Man - I like that channel quite a lot. Having played clean through it some more I've gotten to really like it. Overdriven it's just madness. It has a fizzy character to it, but it's creamy fizzy rather than angry fizzy, if you take my meaning. The master volume is really useful on this channel. I like it running the EF86 hard but not slamming the the power section as much. Tasty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:46 pm 
Novice
Novice

Glad you like it..... :wink:

I guess at this point you are living a part of your Trinity fetish vicariously through me :lol:

I'm sure it's a great amp and it will sound good through many speakers. The 212 Alnico Blues I have will be great for sure...even the 210 Dr Z cab I have would be interesting 8)

In a little while I'll have Coco build be a Matchless-style closed 212 with some different speakers....maybe some Eminence or even Da Bomb with the Tone Tubbies.......

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:47 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Congrats on the newest TC-15 on Da Rock!

Emohawk wrote:
I like the quirkiness of the interactive tone stack. It would take some getting used to, but it gives you so much range.

That's the VOX Top Boost tone control my friend. Details posted in the forum I believe. Gives you impressive control. Takes some getting used to.

Emohawk wrote:
I'm sure the cut control does impact both channels equally from a technical perspective. My point is that it seems to have more of a sonic impact on the EF86 channel, especially when overdriving the power section. May just be my perception there..

Check that the cut is connected before the master switch. It's subtle cut. Double the cap value for more cut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:48 pm 
Novice
Novice

Emohawk wrote:
I just spent another half hour playing through the EF86 channel. Man - I like that channel quite a lot. Having played clean through it some more I've gotten to really like it.

I gues I'll have to send some Brad Paisley tunes into your work this week then....eh :P

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:52 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
That's the VOX Top Boost tone control my friend. Details posted in the forum I believe. Gives you impressive control. Takes some getting used to.

Yeah...My Chinese AC30CC2 has the same type of controls...wierd, but effective.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:58 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

VOX Interactive Control came from Gibson in the first place , with an error in the circuit daigram!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:40 pm 
Novice
Novice

Emo...I guess you approve of the Mullard reissue EL84s :wink:

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:33 pm 
Expert
Expert

Fortis wrote:
Emohawk wrote:
I just spent another half hour playing through the EF86 channel. Man - I like that channel quite a lot. Having played clean through it some more I've gotten to really like it.

I gues I'll have to send some Brad Paisley tunes into your work this week then....eh :P

Keith

If you want your amp, I strongly suggest you do NOT send me Brad Paisley... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:36 pm 
Expert
Expert

Fortis wrote:
Emo...I guess you approve of the Mullard reissue EL84s :wink:

Keith

I do indeed. They seem to overdrive a little smoother than the EH's I have in my V6. But that said, it's a totally different amp so it's hard to judge. Apples & oranges.

I wasn't surprised by the Mullards though. I have the EL34's in my Laney & it was a similar result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:46 pm 
Expert
Expert

Fortis wrote:
coco wrote:

Yeah...My Chinese AC30CC2 has the same type of controls...wierd, but effective.

Keith

I've never played with a Vox before so it threw me a little at first. I thought I had screwed something up! Then I did some reading & realized I hadn't. The character of the amp changes so dramatically.

Funny that it was originally a mistake! I had no idea. But so many of the greatest inventions were accidents it shouldn't be a big surprise!

coco wrote:
Check that the cut is connected before the master switch. It's subtle cut. Double the cap value for more cut.

I'm positive it's connected correctly...I checked it a dozen times! I don't think I'd want to change it. Sounds great as is. That would be up to Keith though...it is his amp after all! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:06 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Read the history here: viewtopic.php?t=1164&highlight=vox

The tone control response is compared in the manual as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

Just spent a couple hours playing through Keith's TC-15 with my P90 loaded SG. Love it! I really like how smoothly the Mullard EL84's overdrive. They're less edgy than the EH's I've tried. I had very Fendery cleans going on ch 2 (but a little more spanky than the Deluxe & a touch more compressed). I like the 5k OT mode better with this guitar.

I made a point of playing around with the cut on both channels and I guess it's not so much that it impacts one channel more than the other - it's just a slightly different effect. I wouldn't call the cut "subtle" though, at least not when comparing the tones at opposite ends of the range. Full left is bright & jangly while full right is darker & more compressed. The ch 1 contour, on the other hand, is a subtle effect.

I was playing it through my closed-back V30 2x12 tonight. It sounds great, but it's a little too percussive & edgy for my taste. I prefer the warmer & slightly darker Eminence Lady Luck in my other cab with this amp (and with other bright amps too).

My MXR Carbon Copy loves it too. I generally prefer delay in a loop, but it gets along extremely well with the TC-15 when running in front. I was gonna try some other pedals too but I got kinda caught up in it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

Finally picked up the TC-15 from Emohawk today :D

My youngest is napping so i couldn't try it out much. However, i have no master volume control :?

The pot seems to be really easy to turn compared to the rest...I may have a bum pot. I'll have to check it out.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:37 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Master needs to be pulled out to be engaged. Is it??