trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Required Skills
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:49 am 

Thinking of ordering a TC-15 but would like opinions of the skills required to complete the Kit. I have a basic understanding of electronic schematics enough to identify components and where their leads go. The layout drawings seem straight forword. As far as soldering skills, have done mods on stereo equipment and once on a dvd player with a paper thin board. I feel confident to tackle this project but I wonder is there a basic skill I'm missing that could turn this into a nightmare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:32 am 
Expert
Expert

If you have the basic skills you've mentioned, I think the only other thing you need is patience. Take your time with the build - double & triple check everything - maybe quadruple check grounds. Don't rush it & you'll be OK.

And for those of you (i.e. KEITH!) who think me saying "take your time" is hypocritical, well you know what you can do!!! :D Short time frames don't necessarily mean it didn't require long hours!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:43 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

You should be fine.

I had to buy a soldering pencil when I built my first sIII, had never done any soldering or electronics at all :shock: :shock:

Like Emohawk said, take your time and come back and ask questions :P

Stephens directions are great and this forum is very helpful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:40 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I think the important words here are Patience and Read the Manual. I think you'd be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:34 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Patience.

I built my first trinity with zero idea of how to read a schematic.

Stephen's layouts are top notch, that helps a lot. The key is to take your time and do it right the first time, make sure you have all the correct components nicely soldered; check and re-check to make sure you don't miss anything, the hardest part is trying to figure out what you did wrong after hour and hours of soldering greet you with no sound. Especially if you don't know the electronics information behind it. The more you know about the circuit, the easier it becomes to speed through a project, with the knowledge that you'll be able to find and correct your mistakes with ease. Even then it still pays to do it right the first time.