trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Triwatt in Dallas
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:20 am 

Hi everyone,
I finished my Triwatt just a few hours ago. It fired up with no problems and is dead quiet. There is a little noise with the vol and overdrive maxed, but it is super quiet in any other settings. Its burning in right now and I cant even tell its on. The bright channel has that magic that I loved in my Matchless, it does the 3D semi-dirty soooo well. I can wait to run my board with it tomorrow!!
Right now i'm running it with a JJ ecc803 in V1, Mullard reissue ecc83's in V2 and V3, a NOS JAN Phillips 12at7 in V4 and JJ 6V6's for the power tubes. I really like what i'm hearing but Im going try some tung-sol 12ax7's tomorrow and see how that sounds.
I am using it for two sets tomorrow and a recording session on sunday, so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Chirs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:12 am 
Expert
Expert

Congratulations Chris!!!

When I tried TS 12AX7s in a Triwatt, they sounded real sweet and clear, with some great definition. But they were also too bright for my own tastes, so I took them out. YMMV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:50 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Wow, that was a fast build. Congratulations.

Send or post any pics so we can share. How long did it take to do the build?

chrisc wrote:
The bright channel has that magic that I loved in my Matchless, it does the 3D semi-dirty soooo well.

Which Matchless are you comparing to?

chrisc wrote:
Right now i'm running it with a JJ ecc803 in V1, Mullard reissue ecc83's in V2 and V3, a NOS JAN Phillips 12at7 in V4 and JJ 6V6's for the power tubes. I really like what i'm hearing but Im going try some tung-sol 12ax7's tomorrow and see how that sounds.

Lawrence & I recently tried the Mullard RI in V1, V2, JJ in V3 and NOS 12AT7 V4 , TS 6V6. It was sweet. Convinced Lawrence to change from using a AX7 in the PI actually. We really liked the Mullard RIs. Clear & bright like the TS 12AX7. Maybe not as bright, but a great choice for those of us who like it that [bright] way!

Keep us posted on how the gig goes and if you can get us a clip, that wouldbe awesome too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:42 am 

I'll try and post some pics soon, but just so you know, it looks like spaghetti.

I took my time with this build, I'd say I have about 12-15hrs in the build. I got the kit late tuesday afternoon and finished it up friday just after lunch. I spent about an hour troubleshooting just to realize I had grabbed a bad cable :lol:

I just sold my Matchless Lightning, so thats what I'm comparing it to. I had a tone tubby in it but I removed it before I sold it, so I just installed it in my 2X12. I will get to try it today, I cant wait.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:17 am 
Novice
Novice

Congratulations on the build! I am now anxiously awaiting my TRIWATT kit. Stephen was very patient with all my emails during my decision making process. Thanks ! I have built only one amp: the Metro JTM45, but have built about 10 pedals so i think I am up for the TRIWATT even though it is a more complex build than the JTM45. I too would like to see more high resolution pics of each critical wiring area of the amps folks have built.

Last edited by tubetone74 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:54 am 
Expert
Expert

First, congrats dude! I've been noodling with mine for about a week now trying to get as much noise out of it as I can.

coco wrote:
Lawrence & I recently tried the Mullard RI in V1, V2, JJ in V3 and NOS 12AT7 V4 , TS 6V6. It was sweet. Convinced Lawrence to change from using a AX7 in the PI actually. We really liked the Mullard RIs. Clear & bright like the TS 12AX7. Maybe not as bright, but a great choice for those of us who like it that [bright] way!

Funny - I just got my tubes yesterday and I now have a very similar setup. Will be updating my build thread shortly. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:42 pm 
Expert
Expert

tubetone74 wrote:
I have built only one amp: the Metro JTM45, but have built about 10 pedals so i think I am up for the TRIWATT even though it is a more complex build than the JTM45. I too would like to see more high resolution pics of each critical wiring area of the amps folks have built.

The latest rev of the build manual has some very detailed close-up shots of the critical areas, and these are being further updated.

If you've done a JTM45, the Triwatt won't be that much harder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks zaphod. These type of pics were EXTREMELY helpful to me when I decided to go w/ the Metro for the first amp build. The pics are high res on his PDF and you can blow them up and still see the detail well. I bet you will snag more reluctant 1st builders that way. I have been suffering from GAS for many years. Never thought the GAS would take the form of amp building!!! Strange disease indeed but I am happy!! I am not a very technical person, and if I could build that amp most anyone can I believe if they are patient and like detailed work and have good soldering skills and last but not least have a healthy respect for the dangers of electricity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:27 pm 

The show went great!!
We played two one hour sets with about two hours for sound check, so I really got a good feel for the amp. Its really responsive and sensitive, I could control it with my pick attack and vol pedal. I set it with the MV all the way up, linked channels, OD off, norm vol at 2ish and bright at 4. Tone and presence was set flat. The noise floor increases on the OD channel (I expected this) and I could only get squeal while plugged into the linked input with OD and all volume controls maxed. So I am very happy with it.
It also takes pedals very well, I gig with 13-15 pedals and it loved most of them. I had to mess with my keeley blues driver a little bit, but that was the only one.

Last edited by chrisc on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:31 pm 

Tubetone,
it sounds like we have very similar experience. The triwatt isn't really harder than a JTM45, just more wiring so it takes longer. Other than my weller iron, I only have crappy old tools, so stripping wires, attaching hardware and some of the layout takes much longer for me. Wire routing was easier that the 45 because of the shielded wire, I mostly followed the layout and it worked perfectly the first time I turned it on. With my 45 it took me a few hours of chopsticking to get the wire placement quiet.

I should have some time to get some pics today, but again, its not clean or neat and my leads are long. So I guess it should give you some confidence knowing mine looks like crap and works great!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:39 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks chrisc. After building the Metro JTM45 my confidence level is higher, but I am a very cautious, slow moving type. Heck, I studied the Metro instructions on PDF for weeks before I took the plunge and ordered the kit. Great thing is all detailed instructions are there for you to fully study before ordering. By the time I got the kit I was pretty sure I could do it. All I ever built before was some byoc pedals. Honestly, any amp kit purchases by me from here on out are due to the Metro experience. I would not have attempted it otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:13 pm 
Expert
Expert

Chrisc;
Hi, congrats on your build.
I saw that you , well:
Quote:
I could control it with my pick attack and vol pedal

I have an old vol around here here somewhere. I guess now I'll have to break it out.