trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:27 am 
Friend
Friend

I have several amps that I have built and found my 18 not being used as much. Don't get me wrong...I love the tone but since I built my 100 watt plexi I use it more. I wanted a new project, but since I'm low on cash to finance a whole new build I thought I'd tweak my 18, and if I screwed up I would put it back. This new revision is more along the lines of the boutique California Hi-Gain types. There are 5 gain stages and I want to add a presence and resonance controls next. This clip is with the controls: Bass 1 o'clock, Mid and Treble 12 o'clock, Gain at 9 and Volume at 10 o'clock. With the gain down low you can clean up the amp with the guitar volume. This is a 90's American Strat thru a Red Lace Sensor in the bridge to a 2x12 with older Celestions mic'd with a pair of sm57's. Give it a listen and don't be afraid to hurt my feelings, just looking for critques. The guitarist is our lead guitar player Dave, and he was just doing some noodling. I might try the same preamp, but with some 6v6's next.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=7533748

Last edited by briango2000 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:11 am 
Friend
Friend

Nice job man.

I am surprised by the note definition and clarity. Do you have a list of the modifications you did or a schem/layout? I would love to check it out. I am currently building a 18w plexi, but I was thinking an 18w high gain would be pretty sweet in the near future.

I think 6V6s would round it out more- could be pretty sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:13 pm 
Friend
Friend

Well I only have a hand drawn layout at the moment... from trying different combinations and such. You do have to add an extra tube socket and I also had to buy some extra turret board material and make a little extension board to add extra components to. I might buy some more material and make a nice 1 piece one since I had to make some really odd layouts to make the existing boards turrets work. I think I will need to add a negative feedback component to this amp to get the presence and resonance parts to work. Hopefully Steven will chime in and say something to that affect.

Thanks for the kind words.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:31 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Rockin' clip 8) 5 gain stages is intense. I'm surprised you kept it under control.

Why do you want the feedback. Is it for a presence control or do you want to tighten it up?

Frankly, it sounds pretty decent. I'd certainly be interested in the changes you made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:09 pm 
Friend
Friend

Stephen,
I was going to add the negative feedback to add the presence control and a resonance control. I thought they might enhance things at lower volumes. I'm also going to add a switch to make the tone stack selectable. I'm going to record another clip this weekend with another strat that would be more typical of what a standard strat would be pickup-wise, and then do one with a Les Paul/Superstrat and a humbucker. I still have some more tweaking to to but I am impressed so far with the amount of gain, but still having clarity and articulation.

Thanks for the critique.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:45 pm 
Friend
Friend

I'm looking forward to those other clips!

Please do let us know if you do finish a layout/schem. Also- any more thought on the NFB addition?