trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:56 am 
Friend
Friend

Ok,

I have all of the parts I need to build this amp and I have been very patient, but I am a college student and all of my equipment is at my parents house. Needless to say- not being able to start my build is making me restless.

I was set on the Plexi. I have a lot of spare stuff lying around, so I ordered Tannys and a board from Stephen and began my patient waiting. It's been at least a month so I started doing research on some mods all over the 18watt forum and here on Trinity.

First, I was planning on making a switchable input using an on-on-on switch for Normal, Normal+Plexi, Plexi. Cool right?

Then I thought making the boost foot switchable.

Then I thought about a foot switchable cascade option.

Then I realized I was a bit over my head. I don't have THAT much experience building. I've only done one complete build (Lightning) and I would like to differ to some expertise. Coco, zaphod?

I was thinking about scratching the switchable channels- making the jumpered, and then adding the cascade mod, using a 6 conductor cable and a push-button dpdt. I don't know why, but I feel like that's a terrible idea. Then I thought I could get an 8 conductor cable and run the boost with it- making a two button footswitch one for cascade, one for clean boost.

I don't really understand relays- would that make my life easier? Any help would be awesome.
Thanks,
Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:42 am 
Friend
Friend

I did a few modifications to the Plexi layout that's posted. How does it look?
The cascade switch is based on the one found here:

http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name= ... c&start=45

Last edited by subjecttochange on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:41 am 
Expert
Expert

Can't see your layout for some reason. However, I would say that the more you added switches, relays and multi-conductor cables, the more likely it is that you'll get noise problems. My advice is to keep it simple, and just build the amp in its regular form first. Then when that's working add the DPDT boost switch or relay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:47 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanks Zaphod. Yeah, that's kind of what I had thought. The less crap- the more tone and less noise. I'd still be interested in trying something like this- and I am curious if my drawing is correct (I just updated it using Photobucket) and if it's noisy- I can always bring it back.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Here's the switch w/o cascade option:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:34 pm 
Friend
Friend

Any feedback on either drawing? Can you see the drawings?

Also- in a closed back 1x12 situation for the plexi... Greenback or G12H30?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:52 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

HAvent had time to look this over. but built the amp first, then mod is good advice.

The sIII One had a switchable cascade set-up. And sound clips to boot. Go check this one out.

viewtopic.php?t=701

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:30 am 
Friend
Friend

That's the plan. I don't have a lot of room on the chassis, so I wanted to do all of my drilling and leave it, so I want to be flexible if I need to hence the questions involving the implementation of switches and jacks.

I think I am going to skip the switchable inputs and just leave the only hi inputs (which will make it look JCM800ish), that way I can switch between channels via an A/B/Y switch.

Any good resource on learning more about relays?

Do let me know if you do look at the pictures if they look right. It would be helpful to know if I understand what I am doing... even if I go down a different road in the final build.

And thanks to everyone for your help thusfar!