trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:05 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Use the "Back Stage" "Dressing Room" !! :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:23 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Who has on their cranky pants today?? :giggle:

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:20 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Not me. Never cranky. I gues you saw the note!! LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:38 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Me, I'm cranky... what, my gear's not worthy of the Triwatt forum???!!!??? :shock: :? :oops: :roll: :wink: :D :lol:

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:30 am 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
He also had a Mini Moog or two, and like I said Lucky Man is famous for its Mini Moog solo at the end. AFAIK Keith had all kinds of keyboards, including at least a couple of Hammonds, and also a Yamaha polyphonic synth, plus a grand piano with midi contacts under the keys. The gig I saw them at, he used a big Hammond organ (which I think was a B3 but I'll have to check) for the main stuff, and then performed Rondo/America at the end with a smaller Hammond organ that he did his knife tricks with, as well as throwing it onto the stage, playing it upside down on top of him, etc. For Tarkus he also used some kind of portable keyboard (maybe a midi controller) strapped around his neck, which was also a flame thrower. :shock: :lol:

I'm pretty sure he's only used C3's or L-100's. Though with the amount of gear that guy has I wouldn't be surprised to find out hes got a B3 or two hidden somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The Goff Professional modified and re-packaged C3 is the only Hammond I've seen Keith play on stage since the "Pictures at an Exhibition" tour in the 70's, just after they let the full orchestra go (supposedly due to financial reasons). He also had an L100 that he used to stab and beat on until that finally burst into flames one night in Boston. That was replaced with T100 which is essentially a solid state M100. Other than that I've only seen him with a grand piano (that was eventually MIDI-ized), the controller for his Modular Moog and eventually a MIDI keyboard or two. He also had another controller for the Mod-Moog with pyrotechnics in it. I've heard that ELP traveled with a portable room off stage to mic the Leslies "as they were meant to be heard".
Now of course Keith has access to racks of MIDI gear off stage that he can pull up and play or use as a backup for the dino-gear when it fails.

Hey Brent, speaking of Dino, I don't see any Mellotrons in those pictures. At one point we toured with two of them :lol:

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:41 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

joeyvelour wrote:
The Goff Professional modified and re-packaged C3 is the only Hammond I've seen Keith play on stage since the "Pictures at an Exhibition" tour in the 70's, just after they let the full orchestra go (supposedly due to financial reasons). He also had an L100 that he used to stab and beat on until that finally burst into flames one night in Boston. That was replaced with T100 which is essentially a solid state M100. Other than that I've only seen him with a grand piano (that was eventually MIDI-ized), the controller for his Modular Moog and eventually a MIDI keyboard or two. He also had another controller for the Mod-Moog with pyrotechnics in it. I've heard that ELP traveled with a portable room off stage to mic the Leslies "as they were meant to be heard".
Now of course Keith has access to racks of MIDI gear off stage that he can pull up and play or use as a backup for the dino-gear when it fails.

Hey Brent, speaking of Dino, I don't see any Mellotrons in those pictures. At one point we toured with two of them :lol:

Joe G

My Hammond CV with percussion is basically a C3 - sounds CRAZY!! Apparently the CV's amp has slightly more bottom end than the C3/B3, which can't be a bad thing!! ;) I used to have a T200 - I used it a bit, but frankly it sounded crap compared to my CV! :!:

No mellotron... if I could even find one these days, I could never afford it... I have tons of patches and samples though, and for those that are so inclined the MTron vsti is sensational! I use it all the time... 8)

Blasphemy I'm sure, but I was never really a Keith Emerson fan - I respect him as a player, but his style was never my thing... I grew up on stuff like this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAIldz08JzA

Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis before they became uber producers! Kick me off the board if you must, but this s*%$ is FUNKY!!!!! 8) :lol:

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:31 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Believe me Brent, you don't want a Mellotron :nono the original analog sampler! Stick with the digital samples!

I think my keyboard player's parents had a T200 in their living room. Wasn't that the solid state one with the Leslie built in?

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:19 pm 
Expert
Expert

bgroup wrote:
Blasphemy I'm sure, but I was never really a Keith Emerson fan - I respect him as a player, but his style was never my thing... I grew up on stuff like this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAIldz08JzA

Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis before they became uber producers! Kick me off the board if you must, but this s*%$ is FUNKY!!!!! 8) :lol:

How old did you say you were Brent? :shock: :) Anyway, don't worry, I don't think anyone got kicked off the Trinity BBS for having poor musical tastes! :lol: Actually Prince is an awesome guitarist IMO, and one of my guitar heroes. But I wonder if the rest of the band could handle a beat like this one www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrHSuBqE4ho :) This version has an unexpected jazzy piano and Hammond interlude during Stones of Years.
joeyvelour wrote:
The Goff Professional modified and re-packaged C3 is the only Hammond I've seen Keith play on stage since the "Pictures at an Exhibition" tour in the 70's, just after they let the full orchestra go (supposedly due to financial reasons).

And you can clearly see the Goff rebuilt Hammond in the clip I just posted. The one time I saw them was in the '90s. So maybe the small Hammond he used for the juggling and knife tricks was a transistor one. It still sounded very Hammond and made an awesome crashing reverb tank noise every time he slammed it onto the stage! I was set in the 2nd row and could see the band pretty clearly. It didn't look like the big modular Moog was doing anything much more than acting as an impressive stage prop, but who knows, it may have been midi-ed up to his other keyboards.
joeyvelour wrote:
He also had another controller for the Mod-Moog with pyrotechnics in it.

Hmmm, so maybe the Mod-Moog was really doing something useful, even in this day and age....
joeyvelour wrote:
I don't see any Mellotrons in those pictures. At one point we toured with two of them :lol:

That must have been a pretty stressful experience. :) I can see why you need to tour with two of them.
joeyvelour wrote:
Believe me Brent, you don't want a Mellotron :nono the original analog sampler! Stick with the digital samples! I think my keyboard player's parents had a T200 in their living room.

Heh, too true. Or how about digital samples of Mellotron tape samples. Especially, some of those lush choral sounds. On the subject of the smaller Hammonds, I once had a small Hammond L6 (IIRC) parlour organ that used to belong to Rod Argent. The bass pedals had been removed for gigging purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:39 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

You're probably right about the Modular Moog being more show and tell than anything else. Emerson admits bringing it along for the audiences' sake more than anything, sort of like Tom Scholz and his Rocket 6 :D
That was the last time I saw ELP as well, early 90's "Black Moon" tour. The Mod-Moog had just been completely rebuilt after sitting for a decade. There was no mistake he was really playing it for the solo in Lucky Man :shock: That thing really gave the subwoofers a run for their money (and the crowd goes wild!)

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:48 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

joeyvelour wrote:
Believe me Brent, you don't want a Mellotron :nono the original analog sampler! Stick with the digital samples!

I think my keyboard player's parents had a T200 in their living room. Wasn't that the solid state one with the Leslie built in?

Joe G

I know I don't - I'd have to remortgage my house and studio to pay for servicing I'm sure!! Yes, that was the T200 - insert the thumbs down smiley here... ;)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:47 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
How old did you say you were Brent? :shock: :) Anyway, don't worry, I don't think anyone got kicked off the Trinity BBS for having poor musical tastes! :lol: Actually Prince is an awesome guitarist IMO, and one of my guitar heroes. But I wonder if the rest of the band could handle a beat like this one www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrHSuBqE4ho :) This version has an unexpected jazzy piano and Hammond interlude during Stones of Years.

Apparently not old enough to appreciate a band that sounds like a really BAD jazz band with a lousy singer!!! ;) Nobody can convince me that that rocks at all or is even exceptional playing... very loungey in the worst way for me!! :shock: If you like that, you really should check out some GOOD jazz musicians. And at least more modern progressive stuff rocks!! :P You're obviously not listening because any of Prince's bands could cut ELP in half!!!! Seriously man, you need to go to school on this 'cause you'll be enlightened... :idea:

We've had this problem before though haven't we Phil - you don't get the groove/soul thing!!! You get distracted by the aesthetic somehow and can't hear it for what it really is... :wink: :lol: Anyway, I'm glad at 40 I'm the young guy around here!! :P

And for all this harassment Phil, I get a discount on that pedal, ALRIGHT??!!?? :x ;)

zaphod wrote:
And you can clearly see the Goff rebuilt Hammond in the clip I just posted. The one time I saw them was in the '90s. So maybe the small Hammond he used for the juggling and knife tricks was a transistor one. It still sounded very Hammond and made an awesome crashing reverb tank noise every time he slammed it onto the stage! I was set in the 2nd row and could see the band pretty clearly. It didn't look like the big modular Moog was doing anything much more than acting as an impressive stage prop, but who knows, it may have been midi-ed up to his other keyboards.

Lucky for you you only had to sit through that once!!! OOOOOOOOO!!!! ;) :) The T series was transistor, but the L series (which is what I read he used) was tubified I do believe! And the modular Moog was WAY pre-MIDI, so that would have been impossible! And I've never used one, but from my reading I understand that the modular Moog didn't communicate well with other synths of the day via the voltage/gate-thingy!! So, if he wasn't playing it, it was probably a prop or maybe he had an alternate thing going as Joe suggests... but who cares, I'd be impressed to see one in real life... ;) :lol:

zaphod wrote:
Heh, too true. Or how about digital samples of Mellotron tape samples. Especially, some of those lush choral sounds. On the subject of the smaller Hammonds, I once had a small Hammond L6 (IIRC) parlour organ that used to belong to Rod Argent. The bass pedals had been removed for gigging purposes.

Guys, you need to check out this Mellotron virtual instrument - it IS samples of some of the original tapes complete with all the tuning problems and quirkiness (the GUI even has coffee stains on the top of the keyboard!!). It sounds AMAZING - I use it in my work ALL the time, and I think I paid like $100 or $200 for it!! Phil, I'll show it to you next time you're at my studio - remind me - It'll blow you away...

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/G ... onPro.html

Gotta have the pedals!! Admittedly, I can't really play them yet, but man it's fun to try, and that's half deal-yo!! 8)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Phil, I can't believe you dissed funk/soul music on Stevie Wonder's birthday... :oops: :shock: :cry:

:wink:

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:07 am 
Expert
Expert

Hey Brent, don't misquote me! :) I really admire Stevie Wonder, his music and everything he stands for. And I also referred to Prince as one of my guitar heroes. I love soul - provided it really has *soul* - by which I mean passion and emotion. Someone like Aretha Franklin can make my hair stand on end. She is soul. Unfortunately, I don't find that in a lot of jiggy watered-down blues pop kitsch being mis-marketed under the soul banner. One of my mentors in music in my teen years was a Jamaican, and he got me into the real soul thing (and taught me syncopated rhythm guitar :) ). I also find a lot of the raw emotion, which is the heart of soul, in blues and some gospel music.
bgroup wrote:
Nobody can convince me that that rocks at all or is even exceptional playing... And at least more modern progressive stuff rocks!!

Having seen ELP perform Tarkus on stage, the energy level is incredible. Those guys rock hard! This particular version of Tarkus was a little different, and IMO the jazzy interlude went on a little too long. However, my reason for posting it was for the rhythm at the beginning and the end of the piece. I'd like to see that bunch of badly dressed comedians, who were backing Prince, get anywhere close to that! :lol: On the more modern prog side, BTW I'm also big into Dream Theater. My tastes are very eclectic.
bgroup wrote:
You're obviously not listening because any of Prince's bands could cut ELP in half!!!!

Not unless they get a drummer nearly as good as Carl Palmer, and there aren't too many of that caliber out there.
bgroup wrote:
And for all this harassment Phil, I get a discount on that pedal, ALRIGHT??!!?? :x ;)

With all the harassment you've just given me, I think I need to double the price to cover all my emotional stress! :lol:
bgroup wrote:
And I've never used one, but from my reading I understand that the modular Moog didn't communicate well with other synths of the day via the voltage/gate-thingy!!

That doesn't surprise me. Those Modular Moogs were very old technology. However there was probably some non-midi way of hooking up remote keyboards to them.
joeyvelour wrote:
That thing really gave the subwoofers a run for their money (and the crowd goes wild!)

So true! :lol:
bgroup wrote:
Guys, you need to check out this Mellotron virtual instrument - it IS samples of some of the original tapes complete with all the tuning problems and quirkiness (the GUI even has coffee stains on the top of the keyboard!!). It sounds AMAZING - I use it in my work ALL the time, and I think I paid like $100 or $200 for it!! Phil, I'll show it to you next time you're at my studio - remind me - It'll blow you away...

I would love to see that. :D

And I've just learnt that E9 is the mother of all funk chords :lol:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxSBlLyYZiU (you may have already seen this)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:50 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Phil, you REALLY need to spend some time listening to some of the stuff you're dissing (and try not to be so distracted by the stylish outfits) before you embarrass yourself anymore!! ;) The Time (the band I posted) is anything but "jiggy"!! They're all PLAYERS, and the tunes are like early Prince (the funkiest stuff!) with more rock edge... and Prince actually produced this record (rumour has it he played a lot on it as well)! And um, er, uh, your hero Prince isn't in the band... :oops:

Anyone that's spent time with both, is embarrassed for you right now!! :oops:

Eclectic??!! So, you like old prog, and um, new prog!! Yeah man, that's eclectic!!! LOL! ;)

Face it, you're really only moved by the musical style of your youth - you should just admit that and then we can move on... ;)

Again, you gotta listen dude!! Carl Palmer is a fine drummer, but all of Prince's guys can really play, like REALLY play, and frankly I don't think the groove at the beginning of your clip is all that hard! I know at least 20 guys that could kill that!!! I get it that these guys are your heroes, and I've acknowledged that they were talented and "of a time", but geez man, I just don't think it's THAT good... sorry...

And if you've "JUST" learned that E9 is the mother of all funk chords, then you're not qualified to comment here!!!!!!!! LOL!!! :P ;) :)

I'll show you MTron next time you're over - its INCREDIBLE!!! :)

OK truce - I'd rather talk about gear or amps or something... it's obvious that trying to enlighten and broaden the horizons of 70's boy here is a waste of time... :x

www.slyfichapel.com

Last edited by bgroup on Thu May 14, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

:D

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:25 pm 
Expert
Expert

bgroup wrote:
The Time (the band I posted) is anything but "jiggy"!! They're all players, and the tunes are like early Prince (the funkiest stuff!) with more rock edge... and Prince actually produced this record (rumour has it he played a lot on it as well)! And um, uh, your hero Prince isn't in the band... :oops:

I just misunderstood the comments posted with that clip then. I thought they said Prince was in the band, and the video quality wasn't really good enough to tell otherwise.
bgroup wrote:
Eclectic??!! So, you like old prog, and um, new prog!! Yeah man, that's eclectic!!! LOL! ;)

No, I mean I'm into classical, blues, gospel, rock, old/new prog, world music, indy, metal, etc, etc.... depending on the day of the week... :) But my point was that IMHO there's a lot of so-called soul music out there that seems to lack the very thing its name stands for.
bgroup wrote:
Face it, you're really only moved by the musical style of your youth - you should just admit that and then we can move on... ;)

Heh, the prog stuff was more before my youth. I was actually introduced to ELP by an older cousin. During my youth the buzz was more about punk, new wave and the new romantics (bleh). Everyone was dissing the prog guys as being pompous and irrelevent. Supposedly Spandau Ballet weren't. :shock: The first and only time I saw ELP was in the mid 90s, and that was an unforgettable experience. I'd like to see them again this year.
bgroup wrote:
Carl Palmer is a fine drummer, but all of Prince's guys can really play, like REALLY play, and frankly I don't think the groove at the beginning of your clip is all that hard! I know at least 20 guys that could kill that!!!

OK, you're the expert here. I thought it's a pretty amazing groove, and I also know that Prince has a top bunch of musicians - often female. :lol: I've seen enough to be really impressed by both him and his various bands.
bgroup wrote:
And if you've "JUST" learned that E9 is the mother of all funk chords, then you're not qualified to comment here!!!!!!!! LOL!!! :P ;) :)

:lol: That was indeed tongue in cheek, refering to the YouTube clip. And I wouldn't like to be the judge of which particular funk chord is the mother or the daddy of them all. But I love that particular YouTube clip, along with the others the same guy has done. There are some real cool instruments in them too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:43 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

You're alright in my books Mr. Zaphod... I thought we were just having fun here... ;)

So, uh, Phil, wanna talk about Brent's gearlist???!!!!!!!!! :lol: ;)

I orginally wrote "Brent's gear" but realized that wouldn't sound quite right!!!!!!! :shock:

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:49 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Quote:
bgroup wrote:
And I've never used one, but from my reading I understand that the modular Moog didn't communicate well with other synths of the day via the voltage/gate-thingy!!

Zaphod wrote:
That doesn't surprise me. Those Modular Moogs were very old technology. However there was probably some non-midi way of hooking up remote keyboards to them.

The synths of the day were basically just VCO's controlled by a calibrated bank of resistors, one resistor value per note on the keyboard, or synths could be voltage controlled from an internal (if it had one) or an external sequencer of some sort. There really wasn't a need for keyboards to communicate with each other per se. The Modular Moog (actually all Moogs, Arps, etc. really) were essentially just glorified function generators run through various filters, etc. with a piano keyboard front end. Since a Mellotron, a Hammond organ or a Fender Rhodes required a mechanical process to initiate a note, MIDI control would've have been fairly worthless in the 70's I would say :D I kind of miss the simplicity of those keyboards, but not the lack of stability!!!

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:15 pm 
Expert
Expert

What the "Hell" did I walk into.?
Why is music causing people to be angry.
Music is what makes us feel wonderful.
Doesn't matter what we listen too. As long as there's a smile on our face! :)
Sometimes maybe, we're too smart to see the beautiful notes floating in front of us :) :) :)
Very hard for me to type! But music is to precious to be lost amongst fighting! :) EH!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next