trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:56 pm 
Expert
Expert

Fortis wrote:
......but I've got an appointment with the good Doctor for a 2xKT66 amp

Actually, most people who've had direct dealings with him (including members of this forum), would probably call him "the evil Dr". Not really a nice guy, I'm afraid. And I reckon his amps are greatly over hyped for what they are - purely IMO on that point, of course. YMMV....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:02 pm 
Novice
Novice

zaphod wrote:
Fortis wrote:
......but I've got an appointment with the good Doctor for a 2xKT66 amp

Actually, most people who've had direct dealings with him (including members of this forum), would probably call him "the evil Dr". Not really a nice guy, I'm afraid. And I reckon his amps are greatly over hyped for what they are - purely IMO on that point, of course. YMMV....

I've had emails dealings with him directly. He's always been great to me. I've seen him give a few snide remarks from time to time on his forum, nothing over the top. I'm sure he's rubbed people the wrong way.

I bought my last Z from a local dealer and the 6V6s crapped out after a day or so. Likely the shipping to the Rock here was the culprit. A new set of tubes came direct from Clevand...no questions asked.

As far as the amps being over-hyped? Well, I have 3 heads and 3 cabs from Dr Z (I have 2 Trinity heads as well :D ) and they are what I expected...solid, simple amps for not an arm and a leg. Maybe not for everybody, but no more over-hyped than any other amp out there. Sure if I read this forum the comments on the TC-15 pretty much praise that little amp a lot. I own a TC-15. I like the amp. Do I like it better than my Z's....no. I like the quality of the Zs better than my other stuff, but that's not to say other amps I have (including the Trinities) are bad. Just about all amps have little quirks I'd change if I could. The TC-15.....the MV control I don't like at all. But as we speak, my TC-15 is hooked into a Dr Z 212 cab and I'll play it tonight :) It's a nice little amp and a keeper for sure.

Until the good Dr burns me personally, though, I still like the Company and the product enough to keep going back to the well :D But, I'll go back to the Trinity well from time to time too....when there's an itch that needs to be scratched 8)

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:02 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
the MV control I don't like at all

What about the MV don't you like. Maybe it can be changed to suit you better. We can start a new thread on that.

Quote:
Ah, the Triwatt is tempting......but I've got an appointment with the good Doctor for a 2xKT66 amp

Suggest you mosey on over to emohawk's and give it a try. It will cover a lot more sound ground than that RTE 66 thang!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:31 pm 
Expert
Expert

Fortis wrote:
I'm sure he's rubbed people the wrong way.

I'm talking about a lot more than that - real nastiness, including personal insults and threats. This has happened to a few people I know, in fact some real nice guys.
Fortis wrote:
I bought my last Z from a local dealer and the 6V6s crapped out after a day or so. Likely the shipping to the Rock here was the culprit. A new set of tubes came direct from Clevand...no questions asked.

That's the least he should do. However, here's a related post from another acquaintance of mine, who's also a respected amp tech.
Quote:
Plus, he's kind of a douch. I fixed a ..... for one of his premier endorsees and when the dealer got him on the phone about the repair, he was a total dick to me. I drove across town during rush hour to pick up the parts so that his player could get back on the road in time to make his next gig. Good thing the player was a helluva dude, paid me right out of his pocket for what should have been a warranty situation.

And here's another fairly typical comment about Dr Z amps.
StarGeezers wrote:
I got to play a couple of the Doctors amps at a Jam we attended... They did look pretty , but didn't sound any better than the other store bought amps there, the clean tone was nice , but cranked they sounded somewhat less satisfying... Kinda ratty really ... :o

Fortis wrote:
I like the quality of the Zs better than my other stuff...

IMO their build quality is OK for boutique amps. But then again their prices aren't as high as some of the other boutique brands, so I think that kinda balances out. Bottom line, if they get you the tones you're looking for, that's all that really matters at the end of the day. :)

Last edited by zaphod on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:46 pm 
Novice
Novice

zaphod wrote:
IMO their build quality is OK for boutique amps. But then again their prices aren't as high as some of the other boutique brands, so I think that kinda balances out.

Oh dear :roll:

Now back to the regularly scheduled Triwatt discussion :wink:

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:08 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Sure enough! Enough about the good/bad/evil Doc.

I say give that TRIWATT a go. and let us know what you'r like to see in a MV!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:07 pm 
Expert
Expert

and enough about who's better then whom and what price is the best. We be at "TRINITY", y'all :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Leave the bickering to the other sites, thanks :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

jac wrote:
and enough about who's better then whom and what price is the best. We be at "TRINITY", y'all :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Leave the bickering to the other sites, thanks :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :D

No bickering from this end......just a civil conversation :wink:

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:06 am 
Expert
Expert

+1 :D
Fortis wrote:
The TC-15.....the MV control I don't like at all.

It's just the regular Matchless style MV - no more, no less. :)
coco wrote:
I say give that TRIWATT a go. and let us know what you'r like to see in a MV!

I should point out that the Hiwatt MV is done differently to MVs in other amps, and the TRIWATT's tone still sounds full (or "big" in bgroup's words) with the MV turned down to around a quarter of the way on the dial. For that matter most of the controls in a Hiwatt, in fact, work somewhat differently to those in other amps. It seems that Dave Reeves put a lot of original thought into his amp designs rather than rehashing what Fender, Marshall and Vox were doing at the time. :)

Post subject: Triwatt MV
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:02 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Zaphod wrote:
Quote:
TRIWATT's tone still sounds full (or "big" in bgroup's words) with the MV turned down

I will confirm this, and add that the taper of the MV seems to be more usable thru it's travel. There is a volume difference between the half way point to the max. vs some amps were it's a lot more of a Compression/OD difference vs volume change.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6