trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SAP preamp in triwatt
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:24 am 

Hi all,

Has anyone tried a SAP type preamp in the triwatt? I realize they aren't that different than what is already there, but if anyone has details on their experiences that would be nice, or in general any tips on how this might be accomplished

From what I've read, the default pre-amp is more like the WHO version with a bit more gain than standard. I don't have experience with that model, so not sure how it compares to the SAP style. It'd be great to be able to go from clean-ish to crunch-ish to lead using a combo of the sap control and the lead control ;)

Thx!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

I have never tried marrying the SAP preamp to a Triwatt, but I did do a SAP/JP preamp with a DR504 output.

IMHO, I prefer the way the OD in the Triwatt works, and might actually redo my SAP to the Triwatt style OD. The triwatt adds a gain stage with the OD, whereas the SAP removes some gain in the non boosted mode.

Keep in mind that I am not trying to nail the Jimmy Page live tone (which is does very well, IMHO). I use my Hiwatts as my general purpose gigging amps.

With the SAP, the "balance" control doesn't offer enough control over the volume differences. The balance control is for the normal, non boosted volume (even though it doesn't really work that way). Even with the balance all the way up, there is an unusable difference in volume between the normal and boosted modes. I've played with various resistor values in the circuit and have it almost usable...

I prefer the Triwatt, because you can set the OD from silent to ridiculously loud. It also has more gain than the SAP.

I am as true blue Dave Reeves fan as you'll ever find, but IMHO, the SAP preamp boost circuit was not as well thought out as everything else he made.......

If I can be of any help, let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:02 pm 
Expert
Expert

spiralstairs wrote:
From what I've read, the default pre-amp is more like the WHO version with a bit more gain than standard.

If you mean the Triwatt's preamp, it's actually the ultra clean early '70s DR103 style preamp - at least until you engage the Overdrive. The Overdrive control then lets you set the amount of additional gain to whatever level you want. It's very touch-sensitive at the same time, and you can get real sparkly clear, acoustic-like clean tones if you play gently while the Overdrive's engaged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:41 pm 

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies - sorry I forgot to check back in earlier

Zaphod, I'm actually going off things you and coco said in one of the main Triwatt threads :) So do correct me if I'm wrong

Quote:
There are minor differences between Hiwatts of different eras, which we have aimed to capture here. The Normal channel of the Triwatt is voiced like a Who amp, with the cathode bypass cap, which gives it a bit more gain. Gilmour's Hiwatts also have that extra gain, due to the cathode cap in the Normal channel. Brent's DR103 is from the era where the normal channel doesn't have the cathode bypass cap, so that there's a bit less gain, together with more clarity. Brent clearly prefered this approach, and also reasoned when he wants more gain, he can engage the extra "OL" boost stage - which is very true. So we went with Brent's request and snipped out the cap.

viewtopic.php?t=1389&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sap&start=120

Quote:
The SAP and Jimmy Page models have the same number of preamp stages as a regular Hiwatt DR. Just they have a bypass cap at the cathode of the stage in front of the tone controls, to give that stage some more gain than in the regular version.

viewtopic.php?t=1389&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sap&start=220

Does this mean the Brilliant channel doesn't have this extra gain? And what is the difference between this and the SAP?
Or perhaps the plan changed since those posts, and the triwatt is set without these cathode bypass caps?

Basically, I'm looking for Hiwatt *crunch* and then the extra lead stage, not hiwatt clean + lead. I realize setting the OD low can give that crunch. I also realize crunch can be gotten from the stock 4-hole version if hitting it hard with humbuckers + a perhaps a cleanboost.
Also I've never had a chance to try a linked Hiwatt, so perhaps that is the missing picture.
Afraid I don't have enough experience with these circuits, just going by what people have said in various places on the interwebs (how reliable)

So ignoring the actual balance control, how does it sound just adding the extra gain from the SAP preamp to what is already there? Where exactly would the extra bypass cap be placed, or how does this look exactly? :)

And I get what you're saying Tripower, thanks! The OD style I think is a very nice option and I realize the balance control isn't that useful, but I'm more thinking about having it built-in as always on boost (perhaps on just 1 channel?)

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:28 am 
Expert
Expert

spiralstairs wrote:
Quote:
There are minor differences between Hiwatts of different eras, which we have aimed to capture here. The Normal channel of the Triwatt is voiced like a Who amp, with the cathode bypass cap, which gives it a bit more gain. Gilmour's Hiwatts also have that extra gain, due to the cathode cap in the Normal channel. Brent's DR103 is from the era where the normal channel doesn't have the cathode bypass cap, so that there's a bit less gain, together with more clarity. Brent clearly prefered this approach, and also reasoned when he wants more gain, he can engage the extra "OL" boost stage - which is very true. So we went with Brent's request and snipped out the cap.

That's somewhat old information, from a thread while the amp was still in development. We eventually went with Brent's preferred approach as the default, following tests by other experienced players, and the preamp is now identical to an early '70s super-clean Hiwatt preamp (also like Dave Gilmours'). However, we have also published a table on the schematic showing where exactly to add cathode caps for Who or Jimi Page preamp tone options.

spiralstairs wrote:
Quote:
The SAP and Jimmy Page models have the same number of preamp stages as a regular Hiwatt DR. Just they have a bypass cap at the cathode of the stage in front of the tone controls, to give that stage some more gain than in the regular version.

Does this mean the Brilliant channel doesn't have this extra gain? And what is the difference between this and the SAP? Or perhaps the plan changed since those posts, and the triwatt is set without these cathode bypass caps?

The Brilliant channel has a low value cathode cap, even in the very clean DR preamps, where the Normal channel doesn't. So we've kept with that. We never set out to really emulate the SAP preamp, since we have the Biacrown style OD stage which IMO does the job better.

spiralstairs wrote:
Basically, I'm looking for Hiwatt *crunch* and then the extra lead stage, not hiwatt clean + lead. I realize setting the OD low can give that crunch. I also realize crunch can be gotten from the stock 4-hole version if hitting it hard with humbuckers + a perhaps a cleanboost. Also I've never had a chance to try a linked Hiwatt, so perhaps that is the missing picture. So ignoring the actual balance control, how does it sound just adding the extra gain from the SAP preamp to what is already there? Where exactly would the extra bypass cap be placed, or how does this look exactly? :)

Actually a regular DR013 or DR504 will crunch when you turn up the Master Volume, but at that point your ears will suffer severe pain. :) The Triwatt gives that kind of power tube crunch without the ear damage - even when you don't use the Overdrive stage. The next thing is that if you want some more crisp preamp crunch like the Who, SAP or Jimmy Page amps, the main thing is to put a 12AX7 in the phase invertor position. Then hit the chords for "Won't Get Fooled Again" and feel yourself grinning ear to ear :D A lot of rock players with Hiwatts of that era used to swap a 12AX7 into the PI, including Townshend, Page, Gilmour and Martin Barre, to name just a few. It seems to have been the thing all "real" rock guitarists did back then. :)

You can also add the cathode caps shown in the tweaker's table on the schematic, but you probably won't need to. The other thing I would like to emphasise is that the Overdrive stage is a Hiwatt design and also gives *the Hiwatt crunch*, but adjustable anywhere between almost clean to a raging roar. It's also important to understand that this isn't just an odd-on in front of the preamp, like a clean boost pedal would be. The OD stage is integral within the preamp, coming between the first and second preamp stages, exactly the same as in the Hiwatt Lead amps. The Triwatt just lets you bypass that preamp stage via a switch or relay.

spiralstairs wrote:
And I get what you're saying Tripower, thanks! The OD style I think is a very nice option and I realize the balance control isn't that useful, but I'm more thinking about having it built-in as always on boost (perhaps on just 1 channel?)

So just leave a 12AX7 in the PI position. Adding cathode caps as shown on the schematic is an option in addition to that. Or you could just short out the OD switch, so that the Overdrive (ak OL) stage is always engaged, as with a Hiwatt Lead amp. :) Like Tripower says the SAP preamp isn't that great in the way it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:35 am 

Thanks for the lengthy+detailed reply

You know, I never realized the docs are available in a section of the forum, else I would have seen a lot of this for myself :?

Perhaps there should be a sticky in each main forum linking to the docs of that amp for weirdos like me :) I just assumed the docs are only available after buying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

What does the SAP stand for? Is it just a code from the factory for a circuit design?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

spiralstairs wrote:

So ignoring the actual balance control, how does it sound just adding the extra gain from the SAP preamp to what is already there? Where exactly would the extra bypass cap be placed, or how does this look exactly? :)

It sounds awesome with the extra gain. Different than a DR, more "classic rock" (Marshally?) sounding I guess. My issue is more with the way it switches, and the way the balance control works (not enough control over the 2 stages..... there's always too much jump between un boosted and boosted, even with the balance all the way up). The SAP/JP preamp is a winner.

Quote:

Thanks!

The balance control on the SAP works kind of backwards IMHO. In order to use it as a lead boost (which is what I wanted), you have to set your lead volume first, then set the balance for rhythm (lower) volume.

The problem is that you can never get the same volume out of the boosted and non boosted mode, and the choice you have is to set your lead where you want it, and the rhythm is not loud enough, or vice versa. Even with the balance maxed, there is too much of a volume jump. With the Triwatt setup, you can run the OD at exactly the same volume (albeit a little hairer), more volume, or less volume. Very versatile.

I think a Triwatt, with the CP/SAP style cathode bypass cap and a 12AX7 in the PI would be exactly what you're looking for. You also have usable power tube breakup at lower volume too.

BTW, where are you located in FL? I'm in Naples. You're welcome to come over and mess with my amps if you're close or are willing to make the hike here......... The only major Hiwatt preamp variation that I don't have (yet!) is a CP, which is ironic, since I am a huge PT fan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:10 pm 
Expert
Expert

G-log wrote:
What does the SAP stand for? Is it just a code from the factory for a circuit design?

"Special All Purpose" IIRC. The regular Custom Hiwatt DR amps were categorised as "AP" - ie "All Purpose".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:45 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks Z! :)