trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preamp Tube Subs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:53 pm 
Novice
Novice

I have for a long time enjoyed playing my TC-15 with a 5751 in V1, for a little cleaner sound in the non-EF86 channel. I'd like to experiment with trying a second 5751 in the preamp circuit.

To affect the EF86 channel, the only place for that substitution would be the V3 position, since the EF86 input inserts the signal at that point. That is the PI part of the circuit, correct? So the 5751 there would reduce gain for both channels (as opposed to putting a 5751 in the V2 position, which would only affect the non-EF86 channel).

But is this advisable? Any other unexpected issues this might create in the sound? I'm assuming this would be within the acceptable range of options, since 12AY7s can be used in PI positions, right?

I have no compelling reason to try this - no complaints - just wanting to see what other tones might result.

One other question, and probably good for a new topic altogether: I rarely use the bass control on this amp beyond 8 or 9:00 - just way too boomy. I have tried all the interactive possibilities with bass and treble pots. This is with a single TT Alnico 12 8 ohm in a combo. Is there any way, without radically changing the rest of the tonal circuit, to reduce bass and get more usable range with my bass pot? I haven't tried changing the coupling cap at C1 or elsewhere. To my ears, it wouldn't hurt to increase midrange, and decrease high end. I normally have the cut control engaged and keep the treble pot under 12:00.

Thanks,
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:27 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Less drive in V2 may increase the loss of the tone control but you can try it and see.

What are you trying to accomplish? Cleanliness of just playing around.

If you really want to play with the tone control, get Duncan Amps Tone Stack Simulator and play with the VOX tone circuit. I posted some screen shots, if you are interested, in the resource section I think.