trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tags for V1
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:27 am 
Friend
Friend

I'm building an sIII and expect my tubes today so I am hoping to wrap up the tube sockets tonight and get some sound - everything else is DONE. :P

One question I have is. The V1 grid resistors (I think that's what they are called) that are shown as connecting to the shielded cable from the input jacks and then to V1 - do they have to use the tag board? Without drilling new holes, the only way I can connect the board to the chassis is via the socket screw (there is no other hole) - I can't see how it's going to fit.

What's the downside of just connecting the each resistor to the center conductor and then going right to the socket? I guess they could move around or possibly short out against the chassis if not secure.

After killing myself last night over those !@#$ cliff jacks I'm not looking forward to V1.

God I hope this thing works without troubleshooting. This is much harder than I remember my 5E3 being but I'm enjoying it and have been dying to play through one of these for over a year now.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:37 am 
Expert
Expert

Don't have to use the terminal strip but it make it a lot easier. I also use the sockets mounting hole as the terminal strip hole.

Try to get the resistor as close to the socket's tab as you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:16 pm 
Novice
Novice

Here's a thread with some pretty decent pix.
http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1098&highlight=sIII+build

Search the "18 Watt" forum for "sIII" and "build" keywords and you'll find a ton of helpful information & pictures.

- This Space For Rent -

Post subject: Thanks and one more
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:43 pm 
Friend
Friend

Now I'm worried. I followed the color layout that came with the amp and checked also against another layout from Ceri@tone's site they were the same but based on the link provided in this thread I wonder if there's a problem.

Heaters. the layout shows connecting as follows

EL84
Red - v5 and V4 pin 5
Black - v5 and V4 pin 4

OK so far fine BUT............
12AX7
Red - v3,2,1 to pins 4/5
Black - v3,2,1 to pin 9

I know this will probably "work" but will doing so introduce any noise issues? From the description in the build doc it talks about not reversing the polarity and describes as follows:

green on pin 4 of both EL84 and white on pin 5. 12ax7s green on pins 4&% and white on pin 9.

Which is right? PLEASE don't tell me the layout is wrong. I really don't want to have to re-do the heaters even if it's only switching them on V4&5.

Between El84 they are consistent and between 12AX7 they are consistent, the inconsistency is across power and pre.

What should I do?

Correction the other Layout was not the same as the Trinity one. The Trinity layout appears to be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:03 pm 
Expert
Expert

Both EL84s need to have their heaters connected in the same polarity. All of the 12AX7s also need to have their heaters connected in the same polarity as each other. EL84s and 12AX7s are different animals, so don't worry about trying to keep the polarity the same way round between them. I never have. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:31 pm 
Friend
Friend

zaphod wrote:
Both EL84s need to have their heaters connected in the same polarity. All of the 12AX7s also need to have their heaters connected in the same polarity as each other. EL84s and 12AX7s are different animals, so don't worry about trying to keep the polarity the same way round between them. I never have. :)

Thank you very much for the response. I don't need extra work and those heater wires are in there so neat I don't want to mess it up. Since my glass didn't come today I'm taking a night off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:43 pm 
Expert
Expert

Phil,
Technically don't the 12AX7s not need to be connected the same way (polarity if you wish). Since the CT of the heaters is essentially hum cancelling.
No?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:40 am 
Expert
Expert

Yes, that's what I think I said. :)