trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:34 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I have a problem... I cant buy any 60/40 tin/lead solder anymore. Canadian tire, Home Depot, thelocal electrical supply places - al sell the new "lead-less" solder that flows as good as, well crap!

I was lucky enough to get a pound roll from Toronto last time I was down. But I am paranoid the PC crowd will outright ban leaded solder so I found a guy selling a 2.5 Kg (5.5 lbs!) roll of ".036 rosin core electronics solder in Hamilton, on ebay.

I just got a roll in the mail today. Cost me $60 odd dollars with postage and should last a while.. :)

Anyone interested, he seems to have more (at least one roll)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solder-60-40-Resin- ... 25544ea3fb

I was thinking of buyign it myself to have a lifetime supply :)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:18 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

AJ, The rosin flux core of the solder actually has a shelf life, so I wouldn't go too overboard if you don't use that much. Since the US military (at least the contracts that I work on) doesn't allow lead free solder at the moment, there should be a decent supply of leaded for a long time, at least until lead free proves itself worthy.
As flux ages it looses it's ability to do it's job, which is to clean a lot of the dirt and debris from the wires as you solder a joint. We now have expiration dates on the solder and flux that we're allowed to use for our programs.

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:59 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I use enough to make it worth while. That's a good deal. About half price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:20 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I have had solder (stuff I had found in my shop) that was years old and worked fine... I am not wiring up stuff for the Navy :) If it flows well, and makes a good solder joint, mechanically and electrically, I think it will be fine for years... I understand in principle it has a life-span but for practical purposes for me, if it works I will continue to use it, as in my case it isnt going to cost anyone his/her life or similar...

Besides, I have never had solder with an expiration date... :)

I usually go through a 1/2 to a pound a year (I use it for more than amps) so I am good for a while. But I thought it is a good price!

AJC

PS, on a similar note, a friend of mine (older) has a son who workd in aerospace. They use this aluminum peel and stick foil thats wide and thicker than what you see in the hardware store. They have to throw it out after a certain date - and he gets it and gives it to his friends. I have had an old roll (the yare quite large) for years, and I use it for putting into amp cabs, and duct work in my shop, etc. It sticks fine, and I dont know what exactly happens to make it "bad" but it sure is good enough for me! Sticks so good you cant get it off...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:28 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
They use this aluminum peel and stick foil thats wide and thicker than what you see in the hardware store.

Hey, I'd like to try that too some day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:29 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
I just got a roll in the mail today. Cost me $60 odd dollars with postage and should last a while

It's $9 to ship down the street to Toronto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:07 pm 
Friend
Friend

I was told some years ago that the leaded solder was on it's way out, so i got my self some solder hope it will last at least this year

Image :lol: