trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:53 pm 
Friend
Friend

So, I finished everything and double/triple checked the solder joints and wire connections and it seems to be ready for testing. However, I am a bit unsure about some of the wording in the manual so I need a little clarification please.

1. In bold letters it states to not ever run the amp without a load. However, by following the steps I would turn it on without any tubes and check voltages. Turn it off and put in the rectifier and turn it on and check voltages. Turn it off and put in the remaining tubes and at this point connect a speaker. So is a speaker (load) not necessary until all the tubes are added?

2. In the step where I insert the rectifier it says to turn the power on and turn the standby switch on. Does this mean to leave it on standby or take it off standby?

3. When checking the voltages, is it correct to clip the ground cable of my meter to the chassis or does it need to go to the ground lugs?

4. The B+ voltage is VDC and all others are VAC?

I know these are pretty basic questions probably but I'd rather ask now than after I burned something up :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:36 pm 
Expert
Expert

1. Once the power tube's are installed you need a load (speaker). As long as no power (output) tubes are installed no load needed.

2. Standby switch terminology is always confusing.
So install recto tube and turn power switch on. Wait a few seconds for the tube to heat up and what not. If everything is fine turn standby to ON. So take the amp off standby basically.

3. The ground lugs go to the chassis so you can clip your DMM to either place. I'd use the chassis, better choice imo.

4. All voltages are DC except...
- Heaters (filaments)
- Voltage going TO your recto tube
- Main's voltage 1(120V or 240V)
(your signal has a AC voltage associated with it, but you don't need to be concerned with that).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:19 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks I feel much better now :D So here we go...