trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:54 pm 
Novice
Novice

Looky what the UPS man dropped off today :D

I haven't been this psyched since I discovered power chords. I don't know why, but this build just seems special. I've built plenty of amps, but I have a sneaking feeling that this one is going to be the one that I actually stick with. I have played Hiwatts in the past and i LOVED them, but I just couldn't get them up enough to make them cook. 22 watts is just about perfect :D

Actually this build it at a pretty tough time. I have a detached 24 x 16 workshop that I usually do all of this sort of stuff in, but right now it's missing walls, a ceiling, windows, doors, etc. I started remodeling it in the fall and my work really got busy. Since it's been around 25 around here (-4C to you metric heads) I need to do it indoors where its warm. Unfortunately this means that I'm working at a 3' x 5' desk. Ugh.

Anyway - here's my workspace

I'm a pretty anal retentive kind of guy - the box of bins is how I'm organizing the parts since I don't have my full workshop right now.

More posts to come - I'm getting started tonight!

Stephen, thanks for a great kit. I can't wait to hear it! Maybe I can drive up and get the cap upgrade - man I want to wire this thing! It's only 22 hours round trip :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

Look what else the man in the big brown truck of happiness left on my doorstep -

Teflon wire sheathing - both 18 and 20AWG

I'm still waiting for a few other parts to come in as well - I realized a few days ago that I have about half of the resistors in this kit in super cool 1% Dale metal film. So a quick Mouser purchase later and I've got the rest coming to match. Nothing wrong with what came with the kit, but I have a thing for those little brown guys. They manage to look retro and futuristic at the same time, plus they are the lowest noise resistors I've ever seen. I'm keeping the carbon comp in the last preamp stage for the extra "mojo" though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:17 am 
Novice
Novice

Got most of the hardware mounted - transformers tomorrow.

Gut shot with no guts

Yum. That's a purty face plate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:15 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Nice work. If you can pull this off on a 3X5 desk, you win the prize!!
Sozos on their way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:57 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
Nice work. If you can pull this off on a 3X5 desk, you win the prize!!
Sozos on their way.

Oh I can do it - with limited space its just a question of maniacal unbendingly anal retentive organization - something I do well when the muse strikes.

Not much done yet - work has been a bear. And this is the slow season. Sheesh.

Any how, I've got the heaters wired

And the power input done

Yes, I have a serious fetish for shrink tubing :^) Once the lead dress is finalized I go back and tack the wires down with a dab of silicone as well. Woo hoo!

I might get a bit done tonight, but I really want to get the turret board in place first so I can visualize the rest of the wiring. Come on big brown truck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:28 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes, the shrink tube sales man would love you too! It does look neat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:15 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yeah, thank goodness I don't wire these things in volume. But for my own build, why the heck not :D

I'm really slowing down as I'm getting older. Turning 40 this year and the arthritis is already kicking in (freaking genetics). It makes me a bit deliberate.

Plus I really want to leave a few of these sorts things like this for my kids. I'd like it to last forever as long as someone changes out the tubes and the electrolytics every 50 years or so.

Plus I'm a big fan of worthless overkill :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:36 pm 
Friend
Friend

disconnector wrote:
Plus I'm a big fan of worthless overkill :twisted

Well most of us are :lol: Nice work ! Think I may have to get my self some irons and a chassis. Btv were did you get the Teflon wire sheathing from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:33 pm 
Expert
Expert

You definitely win the heat shrink contest! People give me a hard time because I heat shrink most connections in my pedals, but you're off the deep end! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

malt wrote:
disconnector wrote:
Plus I'm a big fan of worthless overkill :twisted

Well most of us are :lol: Nice work ! Think I may have to get my self some irons and a chassis. Btv were did you get the Teflon wire sheathing from?

The teflon sheathing came from Action-Electronics - great prices and very fast shipping http://www.action-electronics.com/ptfetube.htm?zoom_highlight=ptfe

@Emohawk - yeah, but if its worth doing its worth over doing. My goal for this build is to make something my kids kids can play.

A bit more progress -

Bus bars with teflon sheathing

I love my lead forming pliers. They make great bends. I got them from Sears a long time ago.

These lead forming plates work great as well. Please don't ask where I got them - I have no idea and it's been many years.

Bias section is done - I'll fill the turrets once the off board leads are in place

Lot's more to do, but the beauty of a hobby is that I don't have to hurry :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:53 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Very nice. teflon covered leads as well. joeyvelour would approve..
you guys should hook up!

I'd like to get a pair of those lead forming pliers too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:15 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Quote:
you guys should hook up!

Sorry, that would violate my strict "No Friends" policy :P

Disconnector, even though the Teflon doesn't (technically) burn at standard soldering temperatures, try to avoid bringing the sleeving into the solder joint. The target clearance should be approximately 1x lead diameter (including insulation) with 2x being the maximum.
The only other thing I would suggest is maybe a bit more solder on your turrets, otherwise looking pretty good. Heat shrink? Eeeekkk!!!!!

OOC, How are you planning on stripping the Teflon coated wire?

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

joeyvelour wrote:
Quote:
you guys should hook up!

Sorry, that would violate my strict "No Friends" policy :P

Disconnector, even though the Teflon doesn't (technically) burn at standard soldering temperatures, try to avoid bringing the sleeving into the solder joint. The target clearance should be approximately 1x lead diameter (including insulation) with 2x being the maximum.
The only other thing I would suggest is maybe a bit more solder on your turrets, otherwise looking pretty good. Heat shrink? Eeeekkk!!!!!

OOC, How are you planning on stripping the Teflon coated wire?

Joe G

Yeah, I'm not extremely happy with the sleeving so far. I've got to get back into the groove of this. I'm going to fix this with a razor knife tonight and move the teflon back a bit.

The turrets are just tacked right now. I'm going to get the offboard wiring done first and then fill up the turrets so no worries there. I want to be able to connect everything from the top.

I don't have any teflon wire - its just 18 and 20AWG PTFE sleeving. I've got a pair of teflon strippers though :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:40 pm 
Expert
Expert

You can get those lead forming plates from Hoffman Amplifiers. Seem like a useful tool. Do you use the tool for all leaded components?

(another BYOCer here, I'm ChrisM over there).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:20 pm 
Novice
Novice

kurtlives wrote:
You can get those lead forming plates from Hoffman Amplifiers. Seem like a useful tool. Do you use the tool for all leaded components?

(another BYOCer here, I'm ChrisM over there).

Cool on the BYOC connection. I LOVE their stuff - totally high quality at a reasonable price. It's why I'm loving Trinity as well :D I've got a Overdrive2 in the mail and a spot on the CC for a 5 knob compressor as well.

I use the lead forming plates quite a bit. I've got an old pair of polyamid calipers - quickly measure the distance between the turrets, find the equivalent spot on the lead forming plates, a quick bend and your done. As Joeyvelour noted, I'm not an expert on getting the teflon sleeving on yet, but I'm working on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:45 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Stanley Supply is a great tool source as well
http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com/

Quote:
I use the lead forming plates quite a bit. I've got an old pair of polyamid calipers - quickly measure the distance between the turrets, find the equivalent spot on the lead forming plates, a quick bend and your done. As Joeyvelour noted, I'm not an expert on getting the teflon sleeving on yet, but I'm working on it

I use a ruler and a razor blade :lol: I do have to finish that V6 one of these days :roll:

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:37 pm 
Novice
Novice

Just for the sake of overkill.... Watts Tube Audio (aka Turretboards.com) has those lead benders too.
http://www.turretboards.com/

- This Space For Rent -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:32 pm 
Novice
Novice

A bit more progress . . .

Most of the primary power wiring is done. Still a few connections to go.

Here's tonights project. I'm going to knock out the input and preamp wiring.

Also hoping to get the bias circuit wired tonight. It took me a little while to figure out how the 6V6/KT66 switch worked from the schematic - that's freaking ingenious!

Here'a a pic of incomplete bias section - hopefully it will get done tonight if the kids will leave me alone a bit (yeah, good luck)

I wish that I had more than an hour of consecutive time to work on this thing, but it will be done before 2011 rolls around. I hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:03 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
you guys should hook up!

I'd like to get a pair of those lead forming pliers too!

http://wihatools.ca/index.php?main_page ... 009d9c73fa

Outlets in To

Tele's make the best noise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:02 am 

Hi, my first post here.

I have a little experience building amps. I built a clone of a Vibrochamp.

I was thinking of building an 18 watt next but I stumbled onto this site trying to find a chassis for a set of NOS transformer I scored.

Anyway my point is as soon as I started browsing the Trinity site I noticed the Triwatt. Not having any experience with Hiwatts. I googled Triwatt and Hiwatt up, listened to some samples and decided that I'm going to make this my next build.

Your build just inspired/enticed me to go for it. That looks absolutely fantastic.

I also have arthritis so I can relate to you there too. It sucks that I'm younger too but have severe arthritis in my right hand. Luckily I strum with it only and that's how I'm able to play guitar.

I won't be right away but I'll make damn sure that I build one of this.

Sorry to make an intro on your thread. I wasn't going to post until I got my project going but I saw your thread and I just had to comment on that beautiful amp.