trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:26 am 
Friend
Friend

I want to take a minute and say hello to everyone and to thank you all for the info on this site. Everytime I got a little lost I could count on finding the answers on this forum.

I recieved an 18 watt plexi combo kit from Stephen last month and fired it up tonight. TMB side sounds great..even at low volume..can't wait until tomorrow to turn it up. The normal channel is dead tho. I did deviate the grounding on the normal channel a bit. I'll change it tomorrow..If that doesn't do the trick I'll be back with questions. Thanks again.......Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:13 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Hey Don,

First, congrats on getting the TMB channel to go!!

A lot of people make an eror on the input jacks so check them. Carefully Turn Volume about 1/4 and tap pin 7 of V1 with a small screwdriver (normnal channel grid) and see if you get a pop. If you do, check input jacks, if you dont, check the wiring to the Normal channel controls and mearue the voltage on the cathode of that triode (pin 8) - should be 1V +/-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:03 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks Stephen.. It was the wiring on the input jacks. I wired the normal channel per the "Combo Channel Cliff Jack Wiring" print. I changed it to the "Plexi 18 Watt" layout print and everything seems to be working fine.

Now a quick trip to the electronnics store for some lamp cord and a 250K pot(flat spot on the volume on my Tele).... final assembly and I'll be ready to rock...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:39 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

dweber wrote:
Thanks Stephen.. It was the wiring on the input jacks. I wired the normal channel per the "Combo Channel Cliff Jack Wiring" print. I changed it to the "Plexi 18 Watt" layout print and everything seems to be working fine.

Sounds like that drawing needs to be clarified. The TMB channel jacks are flipped compared to the head, but the Normal channel jacks are the same as the head.

dweber wrote:
Now a quick trip to the electronnics store for some lamp cord and a 250K pot(flat spot on the volume on my Tele).... final assembly and I'll be ready to rock...

Get ready to rock!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:14 pm 
Friend
Friend

Well..I loaded the cab with a Scumback H55. Nice speaker. Assembled everything.....And the normal channel didn't work again...Turned out to be the cage nut shorting out the .0047 uf cap. So despite my dog trying to eat the OT before I even started the build..breaking a tab off of one of the tube sockets...snipping the lead off of the 1m resistor on the input jack and wiring the input jack wrong I'm really happy with way it turned out. I played for about two hours this evening and it sounded fantabulous...

Tomorrow will be testing with the pedal board. I have a ton of pedals but only a hand full on it right now. Boss TU2 tuner...Paul Cochrane Tim..and then I normally run out of the low into a Blackbox Quicksilver delay into the low of the second channel. The Quicksiver has an effects loop in it. I run a Keeley compresser in the loop. Makes a pretty convincing tube echo. I love the wet dry thing goin' on. I hope it works as well on the plexi as it does on my 5e3..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:01 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Oh yes, this is the amp with the 'disabled' 8K winding!! :wink:
So you're using 5K which will give it more crunch.

Still should take the pedals OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:42 pm 
Friend
Friend

Ok...I think I'm done..My NOS preamp tubes arrived from Terry Kilgore and it was off to rehearsal...I split the signal after the tuner..the dry side was guitar...Tim... into the normal channel with delay going into the tmb side. Tonal nirvana..The bass player who is also a lead player came over to my side of the stage and told me he wanted me to build one for him.

I haven't install the VRM yet..The volume on it seemed just perfect..Volume and tone at 9 o'clock and use the volume on my Tele. What could be easier... I'll get clips soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:56 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

That's a very cool set-up there. Sounds like you're done!! We'd love to hear some clips!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:24 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks...it is a pretty cool rig. I may be done with this one but I'm already planning on another build...A head this time.....BTW would there be a way to switch between the 8k and 5k on the fly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

dweber wrote:
Thanks...it is a pretty cool rig. I may be done with this one but I'm already planning on another build...A head this time.....BTW would there be a way to switch between the 8k and 5k on the fly?

Yes you can switch quickly on the fly, but not sure why. Recommend you turn it to stand by because there may be a pop when you switch it.

Last edited by coco on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:05 pm 
Friend
Friend

Just curious..If there is a tonal difference between the 8 and 5 k...is it worth the trouble to have it switchable?...maybe not so much on the fly...but from song to song. I'm very new at the building side of this so I'm bound to ask some silly questions......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:37 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

dweber wrote:
Just curious..If there is a tonal difference between the 8 and 5 k...is it worth the trouble to have it switchable?...maybe not so much on the fly...but from song to song. I'm very new at the building side of this so I'm bound to ask some silly questions......

We call it crunch & munch. We do it on the TC15. The 5K impedance seting will give you a bit more crunch/edge than the 8K. That's whereyou are now. If you like it, leave it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:48 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I asked an engineer friend of mine about switching the crunch/munch on the fly and he thought that would be a really bad thing to do to the output tubes. Better to go standby, switch the c/m, and turn back on in his opinion. Food for thought...

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:17 am 
Expert
Expert

joeyvelour wrote:
I asked an engineer friend of mine about switching the crunch/munch on the fly and he thought that would be a really bad thing to do to the output tubes. Better to go standby, switch the c/m, and turn back on in his opinion.

I agree!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We recommend you switch it that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:26 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for the comment guys. Since I'm limited to the 5k..due to the unfortunate dog incident... these questions are directed towards a future build. At the very least it sounds like it would be worth my while to wire both to a switch....determine which one I prefered and then hardwire it.