trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:11 am 
Friend
Friend

I have an amp that I am working on (based on the 5F6A) which has a rectifier tube. I am looking to do away with it for size/simplicity reasons. Trying to work in another few things into the chassis and the tube rectifier holds some valuable real-estate (small chassis but amazingly quiet).

My question is... with a pair of 6L6s and a PT that's 650VCT- would it be too much to just bypass the rectifier tube and simply replace it with some diodes? Do I need an additional voltage drop now that the RT is gone? I have done a few SS rectifier designs in the past- but I am just not sure what the 6L6s can handle.

I'm sure a similar situation has been encountered in the past... if someone has got a link- just point me there and I'll be on my way.
Thanks!

Also Coco- the Tramp sounds like it's going to be killer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:16 pm 
Friend
Friend

Also... anyone have any comments on cathode bias? I am thinking about changing that to get a little more sing out of it.

Basically the amp is a fattened up version of the Bassman 5F6A "bright" channel, and the normal channel has been replaced with a Voxy/TC-15 Ef86 channel. Sounds pretty cool, but because of the fact that there is less grit coming through the power tubes (when compared to an EL84 amp)- I'd like to either add a boost or even an additional switchable gain stage to the EF86 channel... unless the cathode biased version on the poweramp gives a little more breakup (and a little drop in voltage). Good/bad idea?

As of now I have changed out the rectifier tube/socket for 4 1N5399 rectifier diodes, tying off the 5V taps. Haven't tested it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:28 pm 
Friend
Friend

Tested at 505V on the B+ w/out tubes. So... 360V-ish right? I'm thinking it should be fine.

But I am still curious about opinions on the cathode biased Bassman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:03 pm 
Friend
Friend

I feel like I am talking to myself... and I take pity on those who are reading this. But any help is much appreciated!

I took some measurements with and w/out tubes. But I have a problem. The plates on the 6L6s start to glow as they're hit with the B+. What could be the cause of this? I have only powered on for short periods of time as to not damage the tubes.

Measurements:

B+: 391V
OT Primary: 373V

Fliter Caps W/tubes
#1/#2 (parallel): 389V
#3: 379V
#4: 343V

Filter Caps W/out Tubes
#1/#2 (parallel): 505V
#3: 502V
#4: 498V

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:24 am 
Friend
Friend

Problem= crappy soldering job in the bias circuit.
Solution= start doing a better job soldering!

But it's all good now.